This is why I drive the Brougham over an Economy Car - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree17Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, This is why I drive the Brougham over an Economy Car in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by 77CDV Sad thing is the SDV was a d'Elegance. I think it didn't sustain much damage. See ...
    jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Re: This is why I drive the Brougham over an Economy Car

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    Sad thing is the SDV was a d'Elegance.
    I think it didn't sustain much damage. See if they have it for sale.

Cadilakis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1981 coupe de ville, 6.0 liter. 83 coupe deville 4.1
    My 81 has been through 3 accidents, been t boned twice and rear ended once, the first time s guy in a Toyota echo blew through a yield sign doin about 60 (speed limit was 25) pushed me across the street and into a fence. I drove my car away from that one, his car literally had a motor in the front seats. I feel so much safer in a Cadillac than anywhere else!

Alscad56 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1956 Sedan Deville,1994 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    That test wasn't entirely accurate... If your look close, the engine had been removed from the Bel Air; that's why it disintegrated upon impact. I would not be surprised if (to prove a point, or to provide a more graphic demonstration) the IIHS also removed structural supports or cut the frame rail.
    I believe the engine was in place. But it was the inline six. You could see the six cylinder's oil bath air cleaner being ejected from the engine compartment upon impact at 1:06. Those impact points of those Chevies were very weak. I saw a picture of a vintage crash involving a 59 Chevy with the impact in the same location. The car had similar damage as this one. Still sad to look at, though.
    Those vintage cars, like most, were the strongest when hit directly in front, not offset.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    I was in a crash in the early 80's in the family 77 Sedan deVille, cracked hard on the left front fender. I lived to tell the tale, the Cadillac was repairable, and the Plymouth Reliant that ran the red light was a mess. I believe I have pictures of the Cadillac before the body repair...what a tough car!

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    I was in a crash in the early 80's in the family 77 Sedan deVille, cracked hard on the left front fender. I lived to tell the tale, the Cadillac was repairable, and the Plymouth Reliant that ran the red light was a mess. I believe I have pictures of the Cadillac before the body repair...what a tough car!
    Luckily that had a REAL frame in that car. Those were really tough cars for sure.

%oNSt&n30YGoyqoi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham base

I'd like to see a crash with a 1991 brougham versus that rice-burner.

----------

That sounds more likely. I can't really imagine a bel air falling apart like that without the removal of the engine and structure being cut before hand.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Here's my thought on big body on chassis cars in accidents. Yes, they're durable, and they will win a fight with a smaller car, but when you put them up against something larger, like a semi, or a wall, that's when you get into trouble, because the cars are designed without energy absorption in mind. When all that solid frame and body comes into contact with something that refuses to move, the energy of the impact gets transferred to the passengers, which isn't a good thing.

Of course, it's safe to say most of us will never challenge a semi or a cement wall at 50 mph, so as long as we stick to running over Kias, we'll be fine.
    bigm57ict likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    Here's my thought on big body on chassis cars in accidents. Yes, they're durable, and they will win a fight with a smaller car, but when you put them up against something larger, like a semi, or a wall, that's when you get into trouble, because the cars are designed without energy absorption in mind. When all that solid frame and body comes into contact with something that refuses to move, the energy of the impact gets transferred to the passengers, which isn't a good thing.

Of course, it's safe to say most of us will never challenge a semi or a cement wall at 50 mph, so as long as we stick to running over Kias, we'll be fine.
    Running over a Kia is like hitting a speed bump.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by %oNSt&n30YGoyqoi View Post
    I'd like to see a crash with a 1991 brougham versus that rice-burner.

----------

That sounds more likely. I can't really imagine a bel air falling apart like that without the removal of the engine and structure being cut before hand.
    Probably the same thing would happen. E=MC2 would still mean the ricer would get creamed because it might be able to absorb the energy but the mass of the other car would overwhelm any energy absorption---in fact it would be absorbing not only the energy of it getting crushed like a tin can but it would be absorbing the energy of the car hitting it. Kind of like an egg hitting a brick wall.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I want to see Brougham VS Smart car...
    Newer cars are definitely safer than same sized older cars. I don't want to hit brick wall with either though.

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    I want to see Brougham VS Smart car...
    Newer cars are definitely safer than same sized older cars. I don't want to hit brick wall with either though.
    It would probably look like this:

You don't want to see the driver......

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I saw that one... DAMN!!!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Mmmm....crumple zones.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.