Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Widespread electrical issues culminating with no power in radio "mem" wire.

602 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  cadillac kevin 
#1 ·
Hello there! My name is Ashley and I just bought a 95 fleetwood. It has a strange mix of electrical issues-

1. the blower is stuck on defroster
2. the wipers will only park sometimes (very random behavior including stopping in the middle of windshield)
3. cruise control is out.
4. Washer is extremely intermittent and random.
5. radio will not hold memory settings.

I found that if I crossed the yellow and red wire during an aftermarket radio install (the always hot and the switched hot) all of the problems would DISAPPEAR! Everything mentioned above would begin working as designed without flaw.

I have no idea where the break in the "constant hot" could be. I had a mechanic tell me that my battery was only pushing 10v, but that doesnt seem like it should kill the hot, and I have not seen any bad fuses (checked about half).

I am investing a ton of money in this car in unforseen things the previous owner... "forgot" to mention. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
If the battery is only at 10volts, I'd check output of the alternator. Charging system issues can cause odd electrical issues (not saying thats what is causing your problems, but it probably isn't helping). I'd check for a bad/ loose ground first, as the power could be "finding its own ground".

#4 ·
Re: Widespread electrical issues culminating with no power in radio "mem" wire.

a new battery wont help low voltage. that would be an alternator issue. take a multimeter and check voltage output on the post on the back of the alternator and at the positive battery post.

----------

#'s 2 and 4 sound like a bad wiper switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.