Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: Fixing the 77-79 Achilles' heel AKA Blower Motor Relay once and for all!

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None at the moment

Fixing the 77-79 Achilles' heel AKA Blower Motor Relay once and for all!

We all know about the infamous blower relay failures of the 77-79 era Caddys. I've seen a couple of fixes mentioned, which include a divorce kit, or wiring in a manually controlled rheostat.

I decided to give it a shot with a new method I devised. I got rid of the underdash mounting, due to risk of a fire, and moved the relay to under the hood. I also decided to go ahead and add two more, thus splitting the load to one relay by two-thirds. I also strapped the 3 relays to the accumulator, thereby cooling them. I also decided to go ahead and stick a new blower motor on just to be sure the resistance was low.

So far, so good. I might go ahead and fab a metal strap just to make it look a bit better, but to me the prettiest relay set up is the one I never have to mess with.

PS. Please ignore the tape over the climate control housing, it was just a cheap way to fix a couple cracks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

larryinalabama is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe

Re: Fixing the 77-79 Achilles' heel AKA Blower Motor Relay once and for all!

Ive never had a problem with any late 70s Ive owned. I did have a 74 Coupe that had a slow burning "fuse" for the ac that alaways went out, I actually kept spares in the glove box.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Wait...what??? You can't take away the charm of the blower relay problem on the 1977-79 models...I am practically a major shareholder in a relay company at this point the way I drive my car and burn up the relays.

Please detail this more so we can show our mechanics or do ourselves. Great work!
    Last edited by Bro-Ham; 02-23-14 at 12:17 AM.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None at the moment

Re: Fixing the 77-79 Achilles' heel AKA Blower Motor Relay once and for all!

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    Wait...what??? You can't take away the charm of the blower relay problem on the 1977-79 models...I am practically a major shareholder in a relay company at this point the way I drive my car and burn up the relays.

Please detail this more so I can show to my mechanic. Great work!
    Ya, I think I went through 2 or 3 of them before I got tired of that funky burning plastic smell.

Its funny, I kind of installed this set up without thinking too much about it, now that I am working on making you up a walk through, I realize it is a little bit involved. It is actually harder to explain it all than just doing it.

Give me some time and I will write something up for you.