RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 'm a longtime Cadillac owner, currently drive a DTS. I recently retired and am starting a search for a 1980-1985 ...
    Bucky Barbour is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville DTS

RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine

'm a longtime Cadillac owner, currently drive a DTS.

I recently retired and am starting a search for a 1980-1985 Base Fleetwood Limosuine. I need to be educated, so I know what to look for and then to know where to look. Tthe reason I'm looking for a base model is so it will fit into my garage. I understand base models have a shorter wheelbase. I'll need to know the length of the vehicle bumper to bumper.

A friend mentioned to me that this era had only 8/6/4 Variable engines that operated at different cylinders levels depending on how fast one went. Any truth to this? I understand this type engine is very difficult to maintain and care for?

I would really like to find a blue paint with blue vinyl type vehicle with the opera window.

I'm hoping you can help me. I just started to use the forum.

Any help is appreciated.

Bucky Barbour

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

re: RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine

Just leaving for work, but had to say, get your phone # off the post by clicking the edit button under your post. Lot of eyes from all over the world looking, not all of them you would want to hear from.
    Someone, or I will get back to answer you on the forum.

Thanks for the advice! I removed my #.Thanks again!

Some info here.
    Here are a few places I had book-marked.

http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/cad1980/CAD80F.HTM

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php

Search the last site by year/model.
    http://www.automobile-catalog.com/

I looked them up while having lunch!

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

What length is your garage? A regular garage will barely fit a normal 80-85 Fleetwood, forget a factory stretch.

Randy35630 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Brougham, 2013 Honda Civic LX

There are the final rear wheel drive limos, which will be larger than a Brougham and likely not to fit the garage. They are very attractive vehicles indeed. The last "factory" limos are cars that got farmed out to coachbuilders. They are based on the front wheel drive platform and not really my cup of tea, but the interior room is similar to the RWD limos and the car is smaller, and thus more likely to fit the garage. Good luck!

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Unless you have a 23 or 24 foot garage, none of the series 75s will fit.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy35630 View Post
    There are the final rear wheel drive limos, which will be larger than a Brougham and likely not to fit the garage. They are very attractive vehicles indeed. The last "factory" limos are cars that got farmed out to coachbuilders. They are based on the front wheel drive platform and not really my cup of tea, but the interior room is similar to the RWD limos and the car is smaller, and thus more likely to fit the garage. Good luck!
    ^^^^ Most of this is wrong.

The "factory" produced rear drive limousine style referred to by the original posting member was last produced in the 1984 model year, there is no difference in the length of the Fleetwood Limousine compared to the Fleetwood Formal Limousine (with sliding glass division). The 1980 through 1984 models have the same sheet metal with the 6.0/368 with carb on 1980 and V8-6-4 fuel injection on 81-84. The 1977-79 limousines are similar looking and have the excellent 7.0/425 V8-6-4.

From 1985 through 1987 the factory limousines produced by Cadillac still featured opera windows, 4 doors, and jump seats, however they were based on the all new front wheel drive deVille/Fleetwood, and yes, Cadillac produced them in their own factory, not "farmed out" as incorrectly noted above.

Fourteen years ago I acquired 1978 Fleetwood Limousine after searching for quite some time, it had 29k miles, Sterling (light) Blue, dark blue top and interior, just gorgeous! I paid $8k. A friend of mine convinced me to sell it to him and still owns it to this day; I loved owning it and regret selling it.

Thanks for the responses, APPRECIATED!

I'm somewhat more educated now thanks to data provided.

Technically speaking, would I be correct in stating that I'm interested in "1980-1984 Factory Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limosuine?" I'm only interested in factory production cars not in coach built "stretched." From what I have read 1980-1984 Factory Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limosines have a wheelbase of 134.4 inches (11'2), width 76.4 inches (6'4) and overall bumper to bumper length 221 inches (18'5). Its snowy here in PA today and my garage is in some what of a snow disarray, but a close measuement of my garage length is about 21 ft. Am I correct that overall bumper to bumper length is 221 inches.

I'm much further along in just one day thanks to you guys here on the forum. Just want to be sure of overall length before I go any further.

Once again, thanks.

Bucky Barbour

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Beautiful, rare cars. I'll leave this as a separate thread so we can add info to it.

bigm57ict likes this.

Amen!

Randy35630 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Brougham, 2013 Honda Civic LX

I'll admit that I "think" I read somewhere that Cadillac farmed out some limo work. Is there any truth to that statement anywhere? I have a limo history book somewhere in my library and maybe they were talking about stretch limos. That book had factory and coachbuilt cars. Anyway, thanks for correcting my mistake. I don't like much about those early FWD Cadillacs, but I'd be much more apt to consider one that came from the factory.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

Nice
    Not only will you ride in style but you can put up the sliding window to drown out the noise from the kids!!
    Jeff

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    I'll admit that I "think" I read somewhere that Cadillac farmed out some limo work. Is there any truth to that statement anywhere? I have a limo history book somewhere in my library and maybe they were talking about stretch limos. That book had factory and coachbuilt cars. Anyway, thanks for correcting my mistake. I don't like much about those early FWD Cadillacs, but I'd be much more apt to consider one that came from the factory.
    Factory limousines were made in house by Cadillac. Only the stretch limos were sent away for modifications post production.

They are great cars and with the long wheelbase they ride like velvet. Have you driven one? They are nice to drive as a regular car and even more fun to ride in back.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Barbour View Post
    Technically speaking, would I be correct in stating that I'm interested in "1980-1984 Factory Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limosuine?"
    Cadillac dropped the "Seventy-Five" designation after 1976 but brought back the name in 1985 for the front wheel drive version of the new style limousine.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

As Dave said, Cadillac did their own Limousine work, however in the early '80's, there were a lot more coach built Limos (made form stretched Sedan de Villes and Comercial chassis vehicles), than authentic Cadillac Limousines. If I remember correctly, there was only a little over 1000 actual Cadillac Limos produced for each year after 1979 (so between less than 5000 were ever made). So with a significantly higher number of Coach Build and custom limousines being built, it just makes things more confusing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.