Cadillac Owners Forum banner

RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine

47K views 231 replies 22 participants last post by  Jastrid 
#1 · (Edited)
RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine

'm a longtime Cadillac owner, currently drive a DTS.

I recently retired and am starting a search for a 1980-1985 Base Fleetwood Limosuine. I need to be educated, so I know what to look for and then to know where to look. Tthe reason I'm looking for a base model is so it will fit into my garage. I understand base models have a shorter wheelbase. I'll need to know the length of the vehicle bumper to bumper.

A friend mentioned to me that this era had only 8/6/4 Variable engines that operated at different cylinders levels depending on how fast one went. Any truth to this? I understand this type engine is very difficult to maintain and care for?

I would really like to find a blue paint with blue vinyl type vehicle with the opera window.

I'm hoping you can help me. I just started to use the forum.

Any help is appreciated.

Bucky Barbour

See less See more
#6 ·
There are the final rear wheel drive limos, which will be larger than a Brougham and likely not to fit the garage. They are very attractive vehicles indeed. The last "factory" limos are cars that got farmed out to coachbuilders. They are based on the front wheel drive platform and not really my cup of tea, but the interior room is similar to the RWD limos and the car is smaller, and thus more likely to fit the garage. Good luck!

#8 ·
^^^^ Most of this is wrong.

The "factory" produced rear drive limousine style referred to by the original posting member was last produced in the 1984 model year, there is no difference in the length of the Fleetwood Limousine compared to the Fleetwood Formal Limousine (with sliding glass division). The 1980 through 1984 models have the same sheet metal with the 6.0/368 with carb on 1980 and V8-6-4 fuel injection on 81-84. The 1977-79 limousines are similar looking and have the excellent 7.0/425 V8-6-4.

From 1985 through 1987 the factory limousines produced by Cadillac still featured opera windows, 4 doors, and jump seats, however they were based on the all new front wheel drive deVille/Fleetwood, and yes, Cadillac produced them in their own factory, not "farmed out" as incorrectly noted above.

Fourteen years ago I acquired 1978 Fleetwood Limousine after searching for quite some time, it had 29k miles, Sterling (light) Blue, dark blue top and interior, just gorgeous! I paid $8k. A friend of mine convinced me to sell it to him and still owns it to this day; I loved owning it and regret selling it.

#9 ·
Thanks for the responses, APPRECIATED!

I'm somewhat more educated now thanks to data provided.

Technically speaking, would I be correct in stating that I'm interested in "1980-1984 Factory Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limosuine?" I'm only interested in factory production cars not in coach built "stretched." From what I have read 1980-1984 Factory Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limosines have a wheelbase of 134.4 inches (11'2), width 76.4 inches (6'4) and overall bumper to bumper length 221 inches (18'5). Its snowy here in PA today and my garage is in some what of a snow disarray, but a close measuement of my garage length is about 21 ft. Am I correct that overall bumper to bumper length is 221 inches.

I'm much further along in just one day thanks to you guys here on the forum. Just want to be sure of overall length before I go any further.

Once again, thanks.

Bucky Barbour

#128 ·
Re: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine

You have some numbers mixed up there.

There's no way a Fleetwood Limousine with a 134" wheelbase is only 221" Overall Length. My 1996 Fleetwood Brougham sedan has a 121" WB and a 225" OAL.

#12 ·
I'll admit that I "think" I read somewhere that Cadillac farmed out some limo work. Is there any truth to that statement anywhere? I have a limo history book somewhere in my library and maybe they were talking about stretch limos. That book had factory and coachbuilt cars. Anyway, thanks for correcting my mistake. I don't like much about those early FWD Cadillacs, but I'd be much more apt to consider one that came from the factory.

#14 ·
Factory limousines were made in house by Cadillac. Only the stretch limos were sent away for modifications post production.

They are great cars and with the long wheelbase they ride like velvet. Have you driven one? They are nice to drive as a regular car and even more fun to ride in back. :)

----------

Technically speaking, would I be correct in stating that I'm interested in "1980-1984 Factory Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Limosuine?"
Cadillac dropped the "Seventy-Five" designation after 1976 but brought back the name in 1985 for the front wheel drive version of the new style limousine. :)

#16 ·
The Good News - We had 20 inches of snow here in Green Hills, PA and after moving all the snow removal equipment around in my garage, the exact length of the garage is 23 ft. 7 inches. With the help of Talismandave, here on the forum, I found that the 1980 Fleetwood limousine is actually 244.1 inches long (20 ft. 4 inches) long. So, I'm in luck, a factory production will fit.

The Continuing News - I've searched several sites and have yet to find one for sale. I'm in no hurry, will be patient, finding the right vehicle is important to me. It doesn't have to be a museum 5 star, a nice drivable 3 star will do.

Thanks to Jaysoldschool for the great picture, it represents the exact vehicle I'm looking for, right down to the color. Just a really nice picture.

Please keep your thoughts and recommendations coming, without you I'd be lost.

Bucky Barour

#21 · (Edited)
The first car you posted is a Cadillac factory produced limousine as the gentleman seeks. The 2nd and 3rd are stretch limos done by independent coachbuilders.

----------

I have a thought/question. Did the factory limo keep the 368 for all years, or did it get the 4100 in 82? I believe it's the former, not the latter. I do know that many aftermarket stretch cars used the 4100 (which seems crazy).
Cadillac installed the 368/V8-6-4 from 1981 through 1984 on the factory produced limousines.

It seems crazy that Cadillac used the 4100 in the regular cars in the first place. :)

#23 ·
Jaysoldschool sent me a picture of the factory Limo I'm looking for and in the exact color combination I'm looking for. Does anybody know what color paint and vinyl top are? Also what other colors were available for factory limos 1980-1984. The only colors I've seen in pictures are this color blue and black. I'm really, really partial to this color blue, what is it?

Still looking here in Reading, PA.

Bucky

#24 ·
All the paint codes are in our FAQ at the top of this section. I'll guess... 29 Twilight Blue (dark)

11 Cotillion White
16 Sterling Silver
19 Sable Black
21 Steel Blue (light)
29 Twilight Blue (dark)
31 Neptune Aqua
35 Waxberry Yellow
44 Seaspray Green (light, non-metallic)
55 Burnished Oak
61 Sandstone
69 Briarwood Brown (dark)
76 Bordeaux Red (dark)
89 Norfolk Gray (light, non-metallic)
78 Saxony Red (Eldorado only)
36 Sierra Gold (Not available on Eldorado and Seville)
32 Pepper Green (Not available on Eldorado and Seville)
22 Superior Blue (medium, Available on Eldorado and Seville only)
90 Azure Blue Firemist (light blue/gray)
91 Desert Sand Firemist
92 Victorian Plum Firemist
94 Sheffield Gray Firemist (medium)
96 Jadestone Firemist
97 Doeskin Firemist
99 Mulberry Gray Firemist (Seville only)

#25 ·
^^^^^ Go to about the second or third page of the "sticky" thread on paint colors to see the actual color chips.

The popular dark blue limousine color in 1983-84 was #27 Hatteras Blue.

I have also spotted 1980-84 factory limousines in gray, maroon, silver, white, and probably others I may be able to recall after a few drinks during today's cocktail hour. :)

#27 · (Edited)
#28 ·
Once again, I would like to thank everyone who has provided literature, etc.

I really like the 1980-1984 Fleetwood limousines in those dark blue colors. I now find that 1978 and 1979's look very similar. I don't like the 1977 models (taill lights, etc). I have a few questions on the differences between the 1980-1984 and 1978-79 models. 1) The 1978-1979's had 425 CI V8 and the 1980-1984 had the 8/6/4 Variable engines, what are the differences, which engine is more reliable, dependable and easier to work on? 2) The 1980-84 and 1978-79 exterior bodies look very similar with exception of the 1978-79 front hoods looking more recessed, is this my imagination or are they exactly the same? I did notice the 1980-84's have the opera lights behind the opera windows. I would very much like to include the 1978-79's in my search but want to be sure the extereior bodies are the same as the 1980-84 models. Also the differences in engines is of concern. any response is truly appreciated.

I have found a few 1980-84's available for sale but they are located several thousand miles away. Will continue to search and will post a wanted to buy ad in the next issue of Antique Automobile Club of America's magazine. I'll be patient and am looking forward to driving and eventually owning the right vehicle.

Bucky Barbour

#29 ·
The '77-'79 bodies look very similar to the '80's bodies. However, they are actually completely different.

You mentioned the hood difference. You are correct, the '80's hood has more of a slope to it. Of course very different headlight configuration and grill goes with that.
The trunk lid is a big difference, too.
Taillights are different, front bumper, etc...

I would definitely lean toward the 425, myself. Besides being simpler than the V8-6-4, it will have more power.

#31 ·
Like all things in life I'm at a paradox. After reading bigm57ict's response, I'm back to liking the 1980-84 bodies a whole lot more. Did all the 1980 limousines have the 368 carb, Bro-Ham has my interest. I could limit my search to 1980 Limosuine with 368 Carb or at least list as a preference. By doing so I am "limiting" my self.

By expanding my search to all 1980-84 limousines, I have a much bigger universe to surf. Why is it exactly that V8-6-4 engines are not recommended? It is my understanding that 8/6/4 mode can be removed and engine will operate constantly on all 8 cylinders with good results. Is the biggest gripe that they have less power, if so I'm willing to sacrifice power for the aesthetics. Would I have trouble finding parts and someone who has knowledge to work on 8-6-4? I'm going to drive this limousine less than a couple thousand miles a year and keep it garaged.

#32 ·
Yes, the 1980 will be carb. The 81-up 8-6-4 will be full time 8 if you cut one wire (orange) from the trans. I'm sure most that you find will be disconnected already. Parts are a non-issue, it's a Cadillac big block. Wear parts are available at any parts store. Water pumps, belts, etc, etc, etc. TH400 trans, big rear end.

#33 ·
The 1980 will be more old school and analog. The 1981-84 will be more modern with electronics including climate control, fuel injection, etc.

I drive my old cars as every day transportation and a few years ago I had a V8-6-4 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe that had an electronic issue which affected driveability and took multiple mechanics and years to resolve which was not my idea of fun despite the car being gorgeous.

Of the years you admire I would choose a 1980 if it were multiple choice but I would nevertheless not turn down a 1981-84 if it was the right car - - - they are too rare to be too picky. :)

#34 ·
I'm with Bro-Ham, buy the best car you can afford, and don't be afraid to buy one far away. Shipping isn't expensive, usually less than the cost of gas/food/hotels. Of course, a plane ticket, and a cross-country drive in your new limo will be a story that you will never forget!

If you do find a car somewhere, let us know. Many of our members would happily check a vehicle out for you. You could probably get one delivered from CA to PA just handing it off to Cadillac Forum members every few hundred miles! That would make for a great magazine article...

#36 ·
I will chime in with the crew here. You would be hard pressed to find two better more knowledgeable guys on these models than the last two posters.

So I agree with them both.
I bought a car on Ebay and had it shipped. It all seemed impossible and scary having never done something like that before.
Trust me, it will all work out. Don't limit yourself by looking and buying only "local". You will end up settling for one not getting what you really want. In the end it will cost you far more to make what you find be what you want.

I have always wanted to do parts relays across the country for members who need things too big to ship. Never thought of doing a whole car! I am game for it anytime anyone else is! Have a fun day, meet a few members, help a brother out! What could be better than that!:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.