RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by jayoldschool I knew I should have checked! It's outside my expertise. I thought it was 472 until ...
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    I knew I should have checked! It's outside my expertise. I thought it was 472 until everything got 500 in 76? What did they use in 75? Yes, I realize that google would tell me this in two seconds. Talking among friends is a nice way to spend time.
    Every full size 1975 Cadillac had the 500. Everything except Seville had 500 in 1976.

Bucky Barbour is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville DTS

re: RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine

Seller told me this morning that car has a 472. From what I'm hearing here original engine in 1977 was s 425. I'm going to talk to him tomorrow again and will clarify. Sounding more like car has a swapped 472 in it. Still has my interest, but would really like to have an original engine car.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Barbour View Post
    Seller told me this morning that car has a 472. From what I'm hearing here original engine in 1977 was s 425. I'm going to talk to him tomorrow again and will clarify. Sounding more like car has a swapped 472 in it. Still has my interest, but would really like to have an original engine car.
    Might be confused on the size too, as the engines are externally identical. The P.O. of my 66 toronado didn't know it had a 425 (he said it had a 455).

If they say the engine is a 472 and has not been swapped then they are for sure mistaken, they can open the hood and look at the upper left side of the label on the fan shroud which, in 1977, will show "425" cubic inch. The label on my 1979 Cadillac went metric and shows "7.0 Litre" which is the same as 425.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Is it possible Cadillac still used the larger motor in the factory limo?

A coach builder conversion would surely have a 425, but a factory limo...? Maybe

I had a chance to speak with owner again this morning. He commented "You are correct, I had my son check the fan shroud and sure enough its a 425. Rear Quarter Fillers are completely rotted off. Are these fillers hard to find? How difficult is it to install a replacement set. If rear's are rotted, fronts are probably weak also, how difficult to install these?

I attempted to schedule a time today to inspect and drive car but owner hesitated to agree. He said "Its in my son's garage, as we are expecting a foot of snow tomorrow." Snow is not expected until Monday? I'm thinking that car is difficult to start in conditions here this morning, -1 degree. Perhaps battery is bad. Maybe it doesn't start and he is going to leave it out in storm and clean snow off it after storm, I hope not. I'm somewhat skeptical as owner said to call him next week after snow storm. I'm hoping he doesn't have mechanical work to do on car to get it started. He did say that he has taken more pictures and will email when his grandson gets home from school today.

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post

A coach builder conversion would surely have a 425, but a factory limo...? Maybe
    Factory Limos: 425 carb in 77-79, 368 carb in 80, 368 V8-6-4 fuel injection 81-84.

----------

I had a chance to speak with owner again this morning. He commented "You are correct, I had my son check the fan shroud and sure enough its a 425. Rear Quarter Fillers are completely rotted off. Are these fillers hard to find? How difficult is it to install a replacement set. If rear's are rotted, fronts are probably weak also, how difficult to install these?

I attempted to schedule a time today to inspect and drive car but owner hesitated to agree. He said "Its in my son's garage, as we are expecting a foot of snow tomorrow." Snow is not expected until Monday? I'm thinking that car is difficult to start in conditions here this morning, -1 degree. Perhaps battery is bad. Maybe it doesn't start and he is going to leave it out in storm and clean snow off it after storm, I hope not. I'm somewhat skeptical as owner said to call him next week after snow storm. I'm hoping he doesn't have mechanical work to do on car to get it started. He did say that he has taken more pictures and will email when his grandson gets home from school today.
    It is exciting! Just ask him about all the "what if" scenarios that you mentioned so you can have peace of mind. You can always walk away if things get dicey. Green is the color of money, hopefully not a money pit!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Even if you determine that it is not the car for you I would advise taking the time to look at and drive it.
    Great practice and seat time to figure out exactly what you want/don't want in the next one.

Talismandave - Your right, I need some experience inspecting and driving. I'll stay on the 77 green until I drive it.

Broham - thanks for showing me the paint codes here. 77 looks like a dark green. Cadillac did have a dark green in 77, "Edinburgh Green." Maybe this car was repainted Cadillac Code 49 Edinburgh Green? Unless current seller has paint code it will be difficult to tell. If the dark green paint is good on this car, perhaps it needs to stay that way. A friend of mine told me that any car color can be matched with a new technological electric eye. Would you know if I could get color matched this way and just order a small spray can to paint new rear body fillers. I'm not getting ahead of myself here, just thought eating. Whatever I can save, I cold spend on other things to make it nice. Edinburgh Green / Black Vinyl Top sounds interesting all of a sudden.

Talismandave - Your right, I need some experience inspecting and driving. I'll stay on the 77 green until I drive it.

Broham - thanks for showing me the paint codes here. 77 looks like a dark green. Cadillac did have a dark green in 77, "Edinburgh Green." Maybe this car was repainted Cadillac Code 49 Edinburgh Green? Unless current seller has paint code it will be difficult to tell. If the dark green paint is good on this car, perhaps it needs to stay that way. A friend of mine told me that any car color can be matched with a new technological electric eye. Would you know if I could get color matched this way and just order a small spray can to paint new rear body fillers. I'm not getting ahead of myself here, just thought eating. Whatever I can save, I cold spend on other things to make it nice. Edinburgh Green / Black Vinyl Top sounds interesting all of a sudden.
    Any good body shop can match the color and professionally blend it in for you so it looks right too.

I am partial to the 77 for so many reasons. Check out the door panels to see the 77 only unique map lights. And a 425 with carb is bulletproof.

Are the rear body fillers difficult to install? Does rear bumper have to be removed?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Are the rear body fillers difficult to install? Does rear bumper have to be removed?
    No, they are not difficult to install. And while technically, you do not have to remove the entire rear bumper, I find it goes easier (but it requires a second person).
    csbuckn likes this.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post

I've never heard that in the 70s, but the factory 80s ones still had the 368 after the normal cars got the 4100. The older ones had a decent engine to begin with.

As I gain more experience researching, it seems as though one of the biggest problems with 77-84 is AC Compressor and Heat. Seems like every vehicle I've found so fa has this issue. Can anyone lend some light on this issue. Is getting this problem solved a costly one?

As I gain more experience researching, it seems as though one of the biggest problems with 77-84 is AC Compressor and Heat. Seems like every vehicle I've found so fa has this issue. Can anyone lend some light on this issue. Is getting this problem solved a costly one?
    I would bet the climate control not working in a 1977-79 is likely to be a failed climate control blower relay.

If you are not involved with a Cadillac forum like this one you could have a mechanic spend endless hours and dollars trying to track that little relay under the dash, and while the mechanic is replacing parts you do not need the determination is made that it can't be fixed since they can't figure it out so the car goes on craigslist.

The relay is $10-15 dollars and if you drive the car as daily transportation as I do you could go through 2 or 3 relay replacements a year.

One of the forum members just made a thread about a week ago describing a fix to the issue.

This is the only common fault with the 1977-79 Cadillac and it is minor, some cars never experience the problem at all. Before you share this information with a seller I would suggest making sure you already negotiated a super cheap price and you have paid for the car with title and keys in your hand.

By the way, none of the components in the 1977-79 Cadillac climate control system are either comparatively costly or overly complex, even in the Limousines.

As for the 1981-84 models with electronic climate control, I would say after reading the many multiple threads on here, there are more mysteries to solve with that system when things go wrong. Even the primitive engine electronics, V8-6-4 disconnected or not, seem like fairly frequent topics from owners frustrated with the issues. These are a few of the reasons for my personal preference of the old fashioned reliability and simplicity of the 1977-79 and even 1980 Cadillacs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.