RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The non-formal limousines tended to be ordered by funeral homes and usually have low miles. That was the case with ...
    Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    The non-formal limousines tended to be ordered by funeral homes and usually have low miles. That was the case with the 1978 Fleetwood Limousine I previously owned.

Formal models typically were put to work in a commercial limousine fleet in a big city, and a handful of formal models lived the good life as privately owned occasional transportation for a CEO, celebrity, or undeserving dilettante.

This 1980 we are focusing on won't be the last one ever offered for sale. Have the owner start taking pictures - of everything you're wondering about - then see how you feel about it. If you're tickled then you can take the next step.

I bought my 78 over the phone with about 5 paper pictures sent to me in advance, I knew it was the right car based on all the questions I asked the seller, when I received the pictures which showed the car to be as nice as described I decided to take the plunge and fly 2,000 miles to do the deal - and I drove it home which was a pure pleasure! Ahhh the memories of that fun trip!

One more thing, in the post above you say the owner of the 1980 limo says the engine has 55k miles, but he also states in the ad that the car has 55k miles. I suspect the car has way more miles on it than the current engine based on how you present this information the buyer provided you. How many miles are on the car??? This car is beginning to rub me the wrong way...

Bucky Barbour is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville DTS

re: RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine

I hear you Br0-Ham. I'm putting together one last email to owner with detailed list of questions, etc. and wait for a response. I'm going to put a wanted ad in Antique Automobile Club of America magazine. The deadline for next issue is 3-31-14, so I have plenty of time to get my ad right. With all I've learned I'm sure to write up a good add.

I found my Limo through a member of the Professional Car Society. Their website doesn't seem as active these days as it was nearly 15 years ago when I acquired my car. Good luck, we are all here to help!

Thanks Bro-Ham, I just registered and am waiting for an email so I can sign on.

I just read something on "The Goethe Collection @ seemycars.com that has me a little concerned. Detail of the 1980 Cadillac Fleetwood Limousine states car was over 23 ft. long. All that I have read previous states overall length as 244.4 inches, which is 20ft, 4in. My garage is 23 ft. 6 inches long. History site states overall length at same 244.4 inches. I was assuming that "overall" meant bumper to bumper, but when I checked header it states "chassis". Does "overall" mean bumper to bumper?

I'm starting to feel better again, Automobile-Catalog.com (The complete catalog of Cars Since 1945) states "Outside Length 244.1 inches". This sounds more bumper to bumper. I can get 244 inches in my garage with 3 ft. to spare, just enough to make it work. I really won't know until I have an actual vehicle to park in the garage. But until then I just want to be sure bumper to bumper length is 244 inches. Can anyone confirm this?

They are 244" stem to stern, about two feet longer than a standard full size rear drive Cadillac of that era. This breed of Limousine is big but still manageable in terms of driving and garaging.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Thanks jamespowers! I emailed the owner for some more pictures and with other detailed questions.
    talismandave likes this.

I wonder if that car was originally blue?!? Has blue interior. ..

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Barbour View Post
    Thanks jamespowers! I emailed the owner for some more pictures and with other detailed questions.
    At least it has a blue interior that he hasn't screwed up yet.
    talismandave likes this.

I haven't heard back from the owner of the 1980 Blue or the 1983 Black. I emailed and asked for more pictures and other technical detail from both. One thing I've learned from you guys is that there is usually a reason only a few pictures and little detail is initially listed in ads. Shortcomings are never listed.

I'm in no hurry and look forward to researching other limousines as they come along I wouldn't have had the experience of surfing these 2 without you guys providing the leads and I appreciate it. Eventually one of these leads will work out!

Bro-Ham, Professional Car Society has me listed as new member, thanks again.

Hey, I didn't find my limo overnight either, they are rare and that doesn't help when you have an irresistible impulse to own one immediately if not sooner!

That black car was dark blue before that idiot screwed with it, I will bet cocktails at the Ritz Carlton here in Sarasota on that. Some classless folks can't deal with that understated subtle shade of dark blue the 83-84's had and they think black is better but now the car is half botched. I would keep looking if that's the case.

What ignited your passion for the factory Cadillac Limousine Bucky? Are you more interested in driving one or riding in one or simply having it in the garage to admire?

Look on YouTube at Joan Crawford's funeral and you will see about ten thousand dozen late 70's factory limos pull up to haul away the mourners. The Cadillac factory limo was THE car to be seen in and alighting from back in the day. Also check the intro to the program "Different Strokes" and also Elvis' funeral and or his last few concerts and you can catch some impressive period glimpses of factory limos at work.

There is a website that I recall having looked at, probably while I was drunk, called something like WWW.IMCDB.ORG (my device just auto spelled that) and there is a cars only website for vehicles in movies you can search and probably find more limos to watch.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Since I was a kid I always liked The Presidential Limousines. I have always been and will always be a General Motors buyer, but have to admit there really was nothing like JFK's Lincoln, probably how I got a liking for blue limousines. Really a shame that it has an infamy. It now resides in the corridor of The Ford Museum in Detroit, Michigan, I've never seen it in person. I have always admired the Jimmy Carter / Ronald Reagan era Cadillac Limousines over any others after that, including the current model. Just something about how square the bodies became back then. I recall borrowing a friend's Fleetwood to drive in a wedding with three other similar cars. That Fleetwood sailed like a ship. My first car was a 1965 Chevrolet Impala and I currently drive a 2002 Cadillac DTS. In between I've owned many other General Motors' products. I'm retired now and the 1980-84 Factory Cadillac Limousine fits my budget and I'm determined to park one in my garage. Finding an all original factory vehicle is important to me. Although The Coach Builds certainly are spiffy, hard to ignore the prominence of the "Pretty Woman" Stretch, its a factory vehicle and nothing else for me and I sure hope to find a blue one.

I am excited about owning a vehicle like this but am no impulsive buyer. Finding a good solid "original" factory car is going to take some time. The good news is I can almost see it parked in my garage now.

I'm passing on The 80 Blue and 83 black, lesson one learned!
    talismandave likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.