Cadillac Owners Forum banner

RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine

47K views 231 replies 22 participants last post by  Jastrid 
#1 · (Edited)
RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine

'm a longtime Cadillac owner, currently drive a DTS.

I recently retired and am starting a search for a 1980-1985 Base Fleetwood Limosuine. I need to be educated, so I know what to look for and then to know where to look. Tthe reason I'm looking for a base model is so it will fit into my garage. I understand base models have a shorter wheelbase. I'll need to know the length of the vehicle bumper to bumper.

A friend mentioned to me that this era had only 8/6/4 Variable engines that operated at different cylinders levels depending on how fast one went. Any truth to this? I understand this type engine is very difficult to maintain and care for?

I would really like to find a blue paint with blue vinyl type vehicle with the opera window.

I'm hoping you can help me. I just started to use the forum.

Any help is appreciated.

Bucky Barbour

See less See more
#64 ·
Yeah, what do you teach? I know that you have taught me quite a bit in just one week!

Although I'm officially a new member of Professional Car Society of America and can log in, I still haven't been able to post a thread, keep getting error message. I have sent an email to a contact there and should get straightened out soon. I have also contacted local chapter PCS officers and made them aware of my search.

I'll spend some time each day surfing and like I mentioned before will run some ads in publications. I truly appreciate any lead provided here by the members, you've been great!

#70 ·
Sounds like planes, trains and automobiles, mix in some geography & history and you've got plenty of destinations. Good stuff!

I was able to post a thread at Professional Car Society and also posted a WTB on Craigslist. Thanks for the recommendations, sure to help! I did find a 1977 on crigslist in Bridgeport, CT. It has 47,000 miles and is green in color. He is asking $2,500. I'm not a big fan of 77-79 or the color. If anyone is interested owner's phone # is 610-275 9990.

#73 ·
It is interesting to reflect on these recent comments about being picky and buying exactly what you want.

When I set out to buy a Cadillac factory built limousine nearly a decade and a half ago the plan was only the formal model in a traditional color. I came across my 1978 and it was totally the right car in stunningly fantastic condition with under 30k miles. But no divider and not my favorite color light blue exterior. But the contrasting dark blue top and interior made the car interesting.

When I decided to buy it I soon figured out it was definitely the correct choice; I found the non-divider model more useful for my needs plus I could fit comfortably driving it, and the light blue color proved to be so unique that I grew more and more tickled each time I saw the car.

The same thing happened when I acquired the current yellow Sedan deVille - beat myself up at first wondering what I was thinking settling for that color until I came to realize what an increasingly unique car I am fortunate enough to own and now I wouldn't let it go for anything.

I can't wait to see what happens with this project Bucky! :)

#74 ·
I was thinking along the same lines when Bucky mentioned the green color. The longer I hang out on the forum the more I am loving colors I would not have considered before.
My dream was always to have a white Talisman, and now that I have the chance I would never think about painting mine anything but the light blue. I don't think I have ever seen a green limo, but if it is a Cadillac color, I'm betting I would love it.

#75 ·
I was thinking along the same lines when Bucky mentioned the green color. The longer I hang out on the forum the more I am loving colors I would not have considered before.
My dream was always to have a white Talisman, and now that I have the chance I would never think about painting mine anything but the light blue. I don't think I have ever seen a green limo, but if it is a Cadillac color, I'm betting I would love it.
Ooohhhhh so true Dave! Here's a yellow avatar 4 U! :)

#76 ·
I have followed up with owner of the green limo several times now and he has not gotten back to me. Although I didn't care for the color, dark green, I am willing to investigate more, 47,000 miles has my attention. I just wish I could get the seller's attention I'll try him right now.

#79 ·
That is a sweet looking car! I would suspect that is a VERY rare color for a 75 series.
Bet the interior color is beautiful if green also. Also would have the actual Cadillac built engine 472! Would not be an MPG champ, but a great engine and would move that car like a dream.
Keep us posted.:thumbsup:

#85 ·
When you buy a limo, realize that towing or shipping costs for the vehicle are substantial for even a short distance. I found one just 68 miles away from me and my AAA won't tow it so a quick check of the local towing companies came back with $750 for just 68 miles! That was a deal breaker---unless he was going to give it to me. :p It was a single stretch dark blue 1988 by the way. :p I feel bad for having let it go to the recycler but.....

#86 ·
I did have a chance to speak, for some time, with owner of Black 77.

The following are the details:

Limousine was owned by a funeral home and purchased by a friend of the current seller , who owns a car service business and sells a few cars. It has been garaged for last 15 years.

- Car was originally blue/gray in color with a black vinyl top. It was painted dark green when purchased from the funeral home and retains its original black interior and black vinyl top. Its a non divider car.
- Original 472 CI runs well, the transmission and rest of the drive train are also original.
- Car has a rebuilt carb seller recently installed, original carb comes with the car.
- Seller also installed new brakes, calipers and brake cylinders for safety reasons.
- Rear Body Fillers rotted and are cracked/missing.
- Brand New AC Compressor, don't know if any Freon in it.
- Power radio antenna is broken, cable is broken.
- 47,000 Original miles.

The only thing this car does not have going for it is, its not an 80-84. I was almost ready to make an appointment to inspect and drive the car because it really sounds good and something I could work on to get back to original. If I bought it I would paint it back to an original GM black paint code and fix the other shortcomings. I'm only a few weeks into my search, have not eliminated this car and still thinking about making the trip to inspect and drive this car.

Is the 472 a much bigger gas guzzler than the 425. Something tells me it gets close to single figure MPG.

Let me know your thoughts

Bucky
-

#89 ·
Last year for 472 was 1974. :)

----------

A 1977 Cadillac will have a 425.

I personally like the 77 the best of the 77-84 limousines. Buy it, get it into shape, I would probably buy it from you but I would bet you will fall in love with it yourself. The simplicity of a 425 Cadillac is hard to beat, and the styling of the 77 is the most unique of all those years. :)

#92 ·
Seller told me this morning that car has a 472. From what I'm hearing here original engine in 1977 was s 425. I'm going to talk to him tomorrow again and will clarify. Sounding more like car has a swapped 472 in it. Still has my interest, but would really like to have an original engine car.

#97 · (Edited)
Factory Limos: 425 carb in 77-79, 368 carb in 80, 368 V8-6-4 fuel injection 81-84. :)

----------

I had a chance to speak with owner again this morning. He commented "You are correct, I had my son check the fan shroud and sure enough its a 425. Rear Quarter Fillers are completely rotted off. Are these fillers hard to find? How difficult is it to install a replacement set. If rear's are rotted, fronts are probably weak also, how difficult to install these?

I attempted to schedule a time today to inspect and drive car but owner hesitated to agree. He said "Its in my son's garage, as we are expecting a foot of snow tomorrow." Snow is not expected until Monday? I'm thinking that car is difficult to start in conditions here this morning, -1 degree. Perhaps battery is bad. Maybe it doesn't start and he is going to leave it out in storm and clean snow off it after storm, I hope not. I'm somewhat skeptical as owner said to call him next week after snow storm. I'm hoping he doesn't have mechanical work to do on car to get it started. He did say that he has taken more pictures and will email when his grandson gets home from school today.
It is exciting! Just ask him about all the "what if" scenarios that you mentioned so you can have peace of mind. You can always walk away if things get dicey. Green is the color of money, hopefully not a money pit! :)

#99 ·
Talismandave - Your right, I need some experience inspecting and driving. I'll stay on the 77 green until I drive it.

Broham - thanks for showing me the paint codes here. 77 looks like a dark green. Cadillac did have a dark green in 77, "Edinburgh Green." Maybe this car was repainted Cadillac Code 49 Edinburgh Green? Unless current seller has paint code it will be difficult to tell. If the dark green paint is good on this car, perhaps it needs to stay that way. A friend of mine told me that any car color can be matched with a new technological electric eye. Would you know if I could get color matched this way and just order a small spray can to paint new rear body fillers. I'm not getting ahead of myself here, just thought eating. Whatever I can save, I cold spend on other things to make it nice. Edinburgh Green / Black Vinyl Top sounds interesting all of a sudden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.