RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Like all things in life I'm at a paradox. After reading bigm57ict's response, I'm back to liking the 1980-84 bodies ...
    Bucky Barbour is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville DTS

re: RE: WTB 1977 to 1984 Cadillac Factory Fleetwood Limousine

Like all things in life I'm at a paradox. After reading bigm57ict's response, I'm back to liking the 1980-84 bodies a whole lot more. Did all the 1980 limousines have the 368 carb, Bro-Ham has my interest. I could limit my search to 1980 Limosuine with 368 Carb or at least list as a preference. By doing so I am "limiting" my self.

By expanding my search to all 1980-84 limousines, I have a much bigger universe to surf. Why is it exactly that V8-6-4 engines are not recommended? It is my understanding that 8/6/4 mode can be removed and engine will operate constantly on all 8 cylinders with good results. Is the biggest gripe that they have less power, if so I'm willing to sacrifice power for the aesthetics. Would I have trouble finding parts and someone who has knowledge to work on 8-6-4? I'm going to drive this limousine less than a couple thousand miles a year and keep it garaged.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Yes, the 1980 will be carb. The 81-up 8-6-4 will be full time 8 if you cut one wire (orange) from the trans. I'm sure most that you find will be disconnected already. Parts are a non-issue, it's a Cadillac big block. Wear parts are available at any parts store. Water pumps, belts, etc, etc, etc. TH400 trans, big rear end.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    The 1980 will be more old school and analog. The 1981-84 will be more modern with electronics including climate control, fuel injection, etc.

I drive my old cars as every day transportation and a few years ago I had a V8-6-4 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe that had an electronic issue which affected driveability and took multiple mechanics and years to resolve which was not my idea of fun despite the car being gorgeous.

Of the years you admire I would choose a 1980 if it were multiple choice but I would nevertheless not turn down a 1981-84 if it was the right car - - - they are too rare to be too picky.
    talismandave likes this.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I'm with Bro-Ham, buy the best car you can afford, and don't be afraid to buy one far away. Shipping isn't expensive, usually less than the cost of gas/food/hotels. Of course, a plane ticket, and a cross-country drive in your new limo will be a story that you will never forget!

If you do find a car somewhere, let us know. Many of our members would happily check a vehicle out for you. You could probably get one delivered from CA to PA just handing it off to Cadillac Forum members every few hundred miles! That would make for a great magazine article...
    talismandave likes this.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    I'm with Bro-Ham, buy the best car you can afford, and don't be afraid to buy one far away. Shipping isn't expensive, usually less than the cost of gas/food/hotels. Of course, a plane ticket, and a cross-country drive in your new limo will be a story that you will never forget!

If you do find a car somewhere, let us know. Many of our members would happily check a vehicle out for you. You could probably get one delivered from CA to PA just handing it off to Cadillac Forum members every few hundred miles! That would make for a great magazine article...
    That would be interesting. How many burn outs am I allowed?

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I will chime in with the crew here. You would be hard pressed to find two better more knowledgeable guys on these models than the last two posters.

So I agree with them both.
    I bought a car on Ebay and had it shipped. It all seemed impossible and scary having never done something like that before.
    Trust me, it will all work out. Don't limit yourself by looking and buying only "local". You will end up settling for one not getting what you really want. In the end it will cost you far more to make what you find be what you want.

I have always wanted to do parts relays across the country for members who need things too big to ship. Never thought of doing a whole car! I am game for it anytime anyone else is! Have a fun day, meet a few members, help a brother out! What could be better than that!

http://car.mitula.us/detalle/952/996...wood-limousine

I did speak with owner of attached 1980 Limousine located in North Hills, CA 91325. He received car from his grandfather who passed away. He mentioned that his grandfather replaced the original engine with a carbeurated Eldorado engine with 55,000 miles on it. Is asking $8,0000 and said he would take $7,000. NADA lists average price for 1980 formal limousine at $4,275 and Hagerty lists average price of $4,900. I forgot to ask if it is a formal model. It is midnight blue, color I'm looking for. He also said oil pan leaked and he had it pulled and repaired.

My concerns - car is 3,000 miles away, price is high especially with a replaced engine. I have purchased classic cars in the past but never long distance without seeing, driving and having local friend of mine, who services all kinds of cars, look at it. Wouldn't shipping costs for this car be expensive? Would a shipping company exchange purchase $ with seller at point of shipping? I do want to buy the best car I can afford. What are your gut feelings on how I should proceed?

I would never be this far along without the help you guys have provided and I appreciate it.

The original and only engine available in a 1980 Fleetwood Limousine was a 368 with carburetor. No fuel injection was available in 1980 on the Limousines. What size "Eldorado" engine does the car currently have? The attachment does not open for me so I have no way to comment further on this car.

As for Limousine (no glass divider) versus Formal Limousine (with glass divider), you should consider your height and also how you plan to use the car.

The Formal Limousine front compartment is snug due to the glass divider taking up space. There are two limited movement small bucket seats for the chauffeur and front passenger and even folks who are not tall will need a shoehorn to get in front. The front compartment is always black leather in this model even if the rear compartment is blue cloth - very traditional. Seats seven people. With the sliding glass divider segregating the front from the back you will always feel like the hired help driving the Formal model yourself.

The standard Limousine has a traditional full bench front seat with six-way adjustment trimmed in the same upholstery style and color as the rest of the car. Since there is no fixed divider in the way the seat has much greater movement, and you feel more at home with your passengers. This model is best if you plan to drive the car yourself most of the time since it feels like an enlarged Fleetwood Brougham. The 1978 I previously owned was this model and it was great to drive myself or be driven in. Plus there is seating for eight people in this model; it is a full house with that many people but can be done if you want your cocktail party to travel together in Cadillac style.

Please view vehicle by opening thread #20 here and then clicking on site. It will open from thread #20 here. Its important to me that you guys get to see it and read detail on it.

bigm57ict is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

It looks nice from the one grainy photo included. He doesn't give much to go on, though.

I would rather hear that the oil was changed regularly than "one month ago".

I would not be interested in a car where the engine were swapped, unless I knew who did the work and could inspect the car very closely. Just on that info alone I would pass on it.

They are rare, but not extremely valuable, no reason to mess around with this unless you have to have one by a certain date. Wait for a clean original IMO.

Here is a good search engine you could use to look.
    http://www.autotempest.com/

I opened the attachment from the other thread. If it makes you uncomfortable then find out the details by having it inspected or simply wait for another one.

I rec'd the following text message from the owner today "The engine is a 425 out of an Eldorado with 55,ooo miles on it. I believe it is the formal model because my grandfather had a bar in it, took it out and replaced it with the 2 factory original folding seats.

Sounds like this limousine has been altered in more ways than one. I'm still interested but lots would have to go right for me to make move. I have contacted owner 3 times now. Price would have to get more reasonable and further due diligence done on my part. I think it is too early to seek the help of a local forum member to look at this car, don't want to waist anyone's time.

I'll text owner with further questions.

Talked to owner directly tonight, I detailed the differences from a limousine and formal limousine. Owner " Car has a power front bench seat and no glass divider. We took bar out and put folding seats back in, really shows no wear or aging where bar was. I don't have any receipts or maintenance records and don't know who did engine swap, my grandfather had all that">

Owner originally told me car was a formal limousine. He doesn't seem to know much real detail. I would imagine that with such a sophisticated drive train, swapping engines and having transmission and rest of drive train sync should be done by someone who really knows these cars. I can't be sure that is the case here. This first find has been a real education and the help provided on this forum really terrific.

As a point of reference, and knowing that average price of a 1980 Formal Limousine at NADA is $4,275 and at Hagerty is $4,900, what is your gut feeling as to what this base limousine with a swapped engine is valued at? Looking forward to you responses!

I have no way of knowing what the value of it would be. With the engine swap, and the "bar removal" I really wouldn't be interested in it.
    Why was the bar installed? Mounted to what and how? Was it a livery? How many different a**es have been in the back seats? How many drunks have puked in it?
    It just is all too much to even consider IMO.
    If it were local, and around $2500, I would drive to look at it. Over that I don't think I would even go look. $3000 at the absolute most. (But then, this isn't my dream car either.) I love them, and would have one in a minute, but not a "burning desire" type of thing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.