'76 Brougham d'Elegance - Authentic Headliner Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, '76 Brougham d'Elegance - Authentic Headliner Question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm finally getting around to doing a serious restoration of the '76 Fleetwood (series 60, Brougham d'Elegance) I've had for ...
    TeagueJT81 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1976 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance

'76 Brougham d'Elegance - Authentic Headliner Question

I'm finally getting around to doing a serious restoration of the '76 Fleetwood (series 60, Brougham d'Elegance) I've had for the better part of a decade. The interior is in great shape, except for the headliner, which I'm planning on replacing. However, I don't think the headliner is original, and I'm not sure what an original one would be. The current headliner in the car is made of a brown cloth with a texture similar to the velour seat cushions (the car is black with a black top and black interior).

When I called my upholstery shop to get a headliner quote, they told me that the color was not right and it should have been matched to the rest of the interior from the factory. This didn't come as a huge surprise. However, what they told me next did. They said the factory headliner would have been vinyl, not cloth. It's not an issue if that is the case: the headliner has to be replaced, and I want the replacement to be as close to authentic as possible. But it is a surprise. I don't want to doubt them because they made me an extremely good reproduction vinyl top with just the year, make, and model of the car, but I don't think I've seen a vinyl headliner before, and the current one feels so much like the seat fabric that I thought it was authentic for a long time.

Does anyone here have enough experience with these older Caddies to tell me what the headliner should be? Or maybe direct me to a group or website that can? I don't think the GM historical division goes back far enough for me to look the car up there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: '76 Brougham d'Elegance - Authentic Headliner Question

I have had a few of these and the headliner you have in there is the original. For some reason they would fade to that terrible brown color. If you pull a trim piece you will probably see the difference. In mine with a blue interior, the brown headliner was actually blue and looked great under the trim.
    I am sure yours was black originally, but it was not vinyl.
    I would love to know why they all turned brown with age, but that is your answer. If it is in good shape other than color perhaps you could redye it black in place?

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

The answer depends on your seat material. Cars with cloth or cloth and leather interiors got the fabric headliner. Cars with leather interiors got the perforated vinyl headliner. 1976 is the last year for this. Going forward, all headiners were cloth.

TeagueJT81 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1976 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance

Awesome, thanks so much for the quick reply! I was really doubtful when they said it would be vinyl. I requested some samples from them; hopefully the service rep I spoke with was mistaken and they'll be able to provide the right thing. There are a couple small burns in the headliner from the previous owner (not sure what from, there was no other evidence of it being smoked in when I bought it), but maybe if I dye it I can cover them up, none of them are all the way through. It doesn't need to be dealt with immediately, but it's definitely on my to-do list. Oddly enough, the brown doesn't look TOO bad with a black interior, but it's not something I'm overly attached to .

If you know, will I have to re-dye it with it installed, or would it be possible to remove, dye, and reinstall? I don't think they were glued on. And if I figure out what caused the discoloration, I'll be sure to let you know .

----------

So, from what you're both saying it sounds like it should be cloth. If cloth and leather got a cloth headliner, it should be cloth. I assume the velour and leather mix in the d'Elegance trim package counts.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Yup. I know it well!

Should be able to remove and dye. Then you could patch holes from back side. You might even have enough material under the trim to cut off to fill holes?

BTW....In my opinion you own the greatest Cadillac of all. I am all about 1971-76 Fleetwoods and Coupe Devilles!

Randy35630 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Brougham, 2013 Honda Civic LX
    I think those 1974-76 Cadillacs are my favorite. When I lived in California I had a 1975 Sedan DeVille, and a 1975 Calais coupe. Both at the same time. But I really wanted a Fleetwood. Good luck with your headliner!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.