1987 Brougham Cruise Control problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1987 Brougham Cruise Control problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello...this is my first post. I recently bought a 1987 Cadillac Brougham with 86k miles on it. It needs work ...
    purepearl32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham (307), 1993 FWB (350 TBI)

1987 Brougham Cruise Control problem

Hello...this is my first post.

I recently bought a 1987 Cadillac Brougham with 86k miles on it. It needs work but is coming along. One thing that is not operating is the cruise control. Here is the information I have so far:

Cruise control switch light turns to an amber color when flipped to the "ON" position. I get going at least 50MPH and push the SET CRUISE button. The green light comes on the switch, however the cruise obviously doesn't engage. I have replaced all the vacuum lines except the bigger line coming out of the cruise control module (underneath the hood, by the alternator), and going through the drivers side firewall. I noticed there is a 3A fuse for the cruise control, in the fuse box....unfortunately, I can't get at the fuse because of its location. So my questions are...does anyone have more suggestions as to what could be causing this? Also, how and the world can I get at some of those fuses? Not just the CC fuse but any fuse higher than the 4th row appears to be nearly impossible. I'm a novice to this so please bear with me. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

larryinalabama is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham

Re: 1987 Brougham Cruise Control problem

Should be able to test the fuse with out removing it with one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ter-30779.html

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Think the fuse is fine since the amber light switches on when you turn it on. I'm able to reach mine and it's an 80 caddy coupe. It could be the vacuum diaphragm not holding vacuum or the solenoids. I've replaced the solenoid and it worked again, now it doesn't. I've replaced the switch, controller, solenoids and the entire wiring to no avail. Only thing I haven't messed with is the stalk lever, where you engage the system and I believe there is something behind the speedometer as well that senses the speed to activate the whole process.

purepearl32 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham (307), 1993 FWB (350 TBI)

Thanks for the answers. I tested the fuse and it is fine. Do you know where I could find a new vacuum diaphragm for this vehicle? I haven't been able to locate one. The "bladder" doesn't seem to be holding vacuum when I take the small vacuum line off and suck in on it. Also, do you know where the solenoids are located? Thanks again.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Solenoids are in line and found near the area of the unit. I have no clue where you can locate parts. I got mine thru the salvage yards by removing all the solenoids and testing each one. Maybe perhaps someone here can point you in the right direction for parts or compatible ones.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.