Getting rid of flat spots on tires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Getting rid of flat spots on tires in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; How does one get rid of flat spots on tires? My DVC was pretty immobile for several years while I ...
    cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Getting rid of flat spots on tires

How does one get rid of flat spots on tires? My DVC was pretty immobile for several years while I was away and while it was getting a body overhaul. They moved it but evidently not enough and the tires have flat spots that are Very noticcable while driving mid to high speeds.

The tires havemmore than 2/3 their original tread (only about 4K mi since they were installed) so I'd like to keep them if possible, but the rumbling is annoying.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Not sure there is a way. I would think heat would help. Maybe take them all off, fill them to maybe 50 and bring them inside for a couple weeks? How old are they? If they are more then 6 years old, they are considered done.

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Getting rid of flat spots on tires

With radials, just drive them. They will smooth out.

I put 75PSI in each tire and put the car on stands. I'll leave it there for a week.

I drive it for several hundred miles after i got it back from the shop last July, but that didn't seem to help. Then I deployed again and it was in the garage for over a year more, and the boss lady didn't move it enough.

I hope the overinflation helps. Someone else said this may help as well.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    75 PSI is a bit extreme, especially for an older tire

Inflate them to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall and just drive it. If the tires don't "round out" in 50 miles or so, it's time for new ones.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Agreed, 75 is extreme, Usually 40-50max. Putting 75 can do damage.
    If the flat spots don't go away after a while get new tires when you start using the car again, usually it's old ones that get and keep flat spots anyway.

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

If they were really bad, I'd actually go the other way. I'd underinflate, and drive. They'll heat up. Nothing crazy, I'm thinking 20lbs. It's not dangerous to drive a 15" big sidewall tire at 20lbs. Of course, YMMV, JMHO, etc, don't do this, I'm not a mechanic, I just play one on the internet, etc...

LoveMyLac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille D'Elegence (RIP) 2001 Cadillac DeVille DTS

Probably best to just change them. With that kind of inactivity you may be looking at dry rotted tires anyway. I drove my 99 for probably 3k and one day the tread split and boom, major repairs. I don't know how long the car sat before I bought it from a caddy dealer but you couldn't tell by looking at them.

I put 110PSI in my tiny bike tires, and ride them. They don't blow up. Well, one of my wife's did, but that was a tube, not the tire. It was pinched a bit and one day BLAM. A new tube and that tire is still running.

I don't think the tires will blow with the car sitting on stands. Car tires are one hellova lot stronger than bike tires - IF they don't have to bear the weight of the car and roll.

I asked a few mechanics, veterans with 30+ years each, and they both told me to over inflate them and put the car on stands. One of them told me I could put 100 PSI in them.

On the other hand, last summer (June-0July 2012) I drove it several hundred miles in Hot FL temps, and they didn't round out. Or maybe they did and my wife's not moving it much while I was away brought the problem back. I just got the car back from large sacle Climate Control overhaul and conversion, on 4 Dec, so I'll give this a try. If it doesn't cure it, I'm not against buying new tires. I just don't want these to go to waste if at all possible.

I'll drop the pressure to 60 tomorrow though.

Skinny bike tires, as in road bike tires? They're designed for that kind of pressure, and are much less likely to cause serious injury if they burst while inflating them.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

DUDE, replace your tires before you have a catastrophic failure in one of them. Replacing them is much cheaper than repairing a fender from the tread seperating at 70mph, or rolling your car into the ditch, then having to have your head reattached.

If you don't believe me, read this. Tires do not last forever, especially ones that have been sitting for years on end like yours.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-...our-tires.html

:EDIT: I also assume you drive a 1968 "Coupe Deville" Please abbreviate it the proper way, CDV. Its spelled "Coupe Deville" on your quarter panel, not "Deville Coupe". I'll forgive you if English isn't your first language though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    DUDE, replace your tires before you have a catastrophic failure in one of them. Replacing them is much cheaper than repairing a fender from the tread seperating at 70mph, or rolling your car into the ditch, then having to have your head reattached. If you don't believe me, read this. Tires do not last forever, especially ones that have been sitting for years on end like yours.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-...our-tires.html
    DUDE, I know all about tire separation. These tires have 2-4 years of age remaining. I separated the steel belts 28 years ago. It was a non-speed rated tire. These tires are capped (over the belts). That's not a concern to me thie time.

The lead on that edmunds article was an explorer, which ford did more to mess up than anyone with their ridiculous tire pressure recommendation of 26PSI, which only tended to accelerate tire degradation, especially since most people do not properly maitain their tire pressure. On an explorer, that was a recipie for a disaster.

http://www.fordexplorerrollover.com/...rs/Default.cfm

Every one of my cars has a portable tire inflator and an accurate gauge, and I use them regularly to keep tire pressure at proper levels. I just went around and did 3 cars yesterday (the 4th is in the shop).

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    :EDIT: I also assume you drive a 1968 "Coupe Deville" Please abbreviate it the proper way, CDV. Its spelled "Coupe Deville" on your quarter panel, not "Deville Coupe". I'll forgive you if English isn't your first language though.
    Can you see the White convertible top on my Arctic Blue DeVille Convertible avatar? The proper abbreviation is DVC. It is Not any variation of Coupe deVille. The "de" is lower case on the Coupe deVille and Sedan deVille and uppercase on the DeVille Convertible.

http://automotivemileposts.com/cadil...d1968cadi.html

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Do not put more than 45 lbs in an old Cadillac tire. Ask me how I know.

Sudden loud noises such as shotguns or tires going off are the very worst thing for hearing damage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man View Post
    Do not put more than 45 lbs in an old Cadillac tire. Ask me how I know.

Sudden loud noises such as shotguns or tires going off are the very worst thing for hearing damage.
    What do you mean by old? These are not "old" tires. They are only 6 years old with little high speed use. I kept both sides covered with tire dressing to minimize oxidation. I think I only made 4 trips of 100 miles each way in the last 2 years. There is no cracking / crazing on either sidewall or tread / groove area. The tire shop manager closely inspected all of them. They did not go boom when I inflated them, and they are not carrying any load with the car on stands. You can put this much air in a car / truck tire. and let it sit while not carrying a load. What you can't do is put the car down and drive on it with that much air pressure.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Skinny bike tires, as in road bike tires? They're designed for that kind of pressure, and are much less likely to cause serious injury if they burst while inflating them.
    Yes, I'm referring to tubs or sew-ups. Even though they are made to hold high pressure they are still much weaker than a car tire with much heavier & stronger tread plies.

I'm not Driving the car like this. You can't because the tires have no ability to withstand impact forces, but sitting on stands, under No load is ok for them.

It's also a standard practice to inflate tires to 45-50 PSI and make a short test drive to isolate tire noise vs. other noise when the noise source cannot be identified. The tires make a substantially different sound under the higher pressure and this can eliminate tire noise as the problem in those cases.
    csbuckn likes this.

6 years is pretty old for a tire. Several government/transportation agencies around the world recommend inspecting tires after 6 years, others, along with some automobile manufactures, recommend replacing them after 6 years. This is assuming a normally used/properly stored tire.

I would also recommend you just replace them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.