1988 Brougham ECC Programmer ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cadillac kevin
  • 1 Post By carnut
  • 1 Post By carnut
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1988 Brougham ECC Programmer ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I'm in possession of a new one. Where is my old one located ? I was under the impression ...
    coodeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Couple DeVille 1973 M&M Olympia 1988 Brougham Flower Ca

1988 Brougham ECC Programmer ?

So I'm in possession of a new one. Where is my old one located ? I was under the impression it was something else under the hood.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
    If your talking about the programmer for the ac/heating system it's located behind the glove box.

Re: 1988 Brougham ECC Programmer ?

Is it hard to get to ?

The vacuum hoses wont come off.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Pull glove box liner. There it is! Snap up and then off the threaded metal rod to it. Remove 3 screws holding it to the heater box. Tilt it down and with a deep 1/4 drive socket, remove the nut on the stud in the middle of the vac. hoses that holds the manifold of vacuum hoses to it. Then the electrical connector. When reinstalling, the nut is not that important to hold the hoses. Mount it to the heater box. Reinstall electrical connector. Then start the car and display 90 degrees on the ECC control head, THEN..... wait a minute or so then connect the threaded metal rod to the programmer. You must wait to allow the programmer to go to full heat. Pull out on the threaded rod to fully open the blend air door. While holding it fully out, snap it into its retainer on the top of the programmer. That is the proper way to adjust the blend door to the programmer. Now go from 90 degrees to 60. Watch that rod, it should slowly retract and eventually close the blend door. Assuming the programmer is working correctly, you are done, reinstall the glove box liner, enjoy!

Well, I installed the new programmer and it still turned on while it was " OFF"

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    My guess would be the resistor pack under the hood on the passengers side against the firewall next to the blower motor....or a faulty CC head (the part beneath the radio)

Problem with the ECC system on these cars is that pretty much any of the 3 parts (ECC head, blower resistor pack, or the part behind the glovebox) failing cause the same symptoms and its hard to pinpoint what is the problem without spare parts to swap. On the plus side, the system is not super complicated and is fairly easy to fix.
    coodeville likes this.

Are you referring to the programmer or the "power module" under hood? What turned on with the car off? The climate fan? Please be more specific. If you, in fact, replaced the programmer you replaced the wrong part! 90% of the time when the fan stays on its a failed Power Module.
    coodeville likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    Are you referring to the programmer or the "power module" under hood? What turned on with the car off? The climate fan? Please be more specific. If you, in fact, replaced the programmer you replaced the wrong part! 90% of the time when the fan stays on its a failed Power Module.
    I replaced the programmer behind the glove box. The blower motor comes on and the air starts to come into the car. I replaced it because thats what I was told to do on this forum.

I want you to get in the trunk and sleep there every night for a week! Seriously, I would bet on the power module as the culprit. Would be nice to read your thread and read the response that said it was the programmer.

----------

I just read most of the replies you got in regard to the fan staying on and virtually all of them said power module?

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Why did we switch threads? You hardly ever hear of the programmers going bad. It's easier to have all the info in one thread to avoid communication breakdown. The blower module should be a little easier to replace.

I replaced the programmer and the the unit in the dash......still the same problem.

At the end of last month we all seemed to agree that the "power module" was the likely culprit.
    coodeville likes this.

I'm guess you're right.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.