Did you Know...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Did you Know... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...The ECC can read negative temperatures? In the seven years I had this car, I've never seen a negative reading ...
    sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Did you Know...

...The ECC can read negative temperatures?

In the seven years I had this car, I've never seen a negative reading on the Climate Control.

It's dropping to -15 over night, with a wind chill factor of -40; Barbara Ann does not like this cold at all. I tried starting her after work and the ignition cylinder was frozen. Even after I got her started and to operating temperature, it was like driving with 4 flat tires the whole way home (I even got out and checked). Tomorrow is supposed to be worse than today was.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: Did you Know...

Oh wow, that's crazy...
    Didn't know that either

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Why would they have made it stop at 0? If it couldn't read negative, it wouldn't be able to read below freezing when set to display in the metric scale.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Why would they have made it stop at 0? If it couldn't read negative, it wouldn't be able to read below freezing when set to display in the metric scale.
    I don't think there was a "metric" button on 80-89 cars, as they still used the old school horizontal sweep style speedometer. I guess they'd still need to make it negative for cars they sold in Canada though, and I guess that sweep style speedo would be in KPH.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The FWD cars had a metric button in the '80's.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Wait till it hits the -30s. My deville howls at you at those temps.
    It does look strange seeing the - in that old block digital numbers.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Hah, I remember the day I learned this. I had my 89 for 8 years, but didn't notice this until later on. Negative temperatures aren't entirely uncommon in Massachusetts, but I think the issue is that any time it was that cold, I made it a point to not be driving anywhere.

larryinalabama is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham

I give out some "likes" but me no like this cold weather, its 7 here in bamaland this morning.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

My Cadillac is on vacation in an underground storage area for a couple more months : )
    77CDV likes this.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

The ECC head is the same for metric or american units. There's an extra wire on the Canadian cars that provides a ground path which signals the unit should read out in metric units. This in turn triggers the fuel efficiency read out to read in metric units.
    Either way, last night we hit a temp of -26C (-15F) and -41C (-42F) with the windchill. It doesn't matter which unit system you're using, that's bloody cold!
    The Ape Man, 77CDV and bigm57ict like this.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

We bottomed out at -3 degrees F here in Bridgegate land. And now it's going to be almost 60 tomorrow.

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner because I'd have checked to see what my '94 said. I'm sure it reads negative numbers. I didn't torture it by trying to start it when it's that cold. I know my truck wasn't happy about it, though. All sorts of interesting whirring and groaning from it until it warmed up.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Growing up in Minnesota with 70s Cadillacs they willingly perform at sub zero temperatures and create a pleasingly comfortable environment so don't be afraid. Ten plus years ago up there I had a 78 deVille (not my current 79) which was my winter driver, snow tires fitted and a couple sand bags in the trunk; that car was unstoppable, even through a memorable stretch of a week plus of temps that never got above zero ○F for the highs. I jump started a friends Toyota as we sat comfortably in that old barges cozy d'Elegance seats and I knew that old Cadillac was the correct winter conveyance. Maybe the Olds engines aren't as willing to go along with the fun...I can say the 7.0 doesn't miss a beat when times are tough.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

^Right... I'm really amazed at how well these care do in the winter. I have never once been stuck in snow and have only lost control on a bad road once (got sideways on an icy exit ramp, but she came to a stop before hitting anything). And even on the coldest mornings, I have never had to worry about the engine not starting; even on days when my Impala refused to start because it was too damn cold, the Cadillac fired up immediately.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    ^Right... I'm really amazed at how well these care do in the winter. I have never once been stuck in snow and have only lost control on a bad road once (got sideways on an icy exit ramp, but she came to a stop before hitting anything). And even on the coldest mornings, I have never had to worry about the engine not starting; even on days when my Impala refused to start because it was too damn cold, the Cadillac fired up immediately.

My old 93 Toyota truck will fire up every time, even at zero degrees, go right to high idle, run like a champ. What's funny is if you have it warmed up and then let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour so. Cold, hot, ambient temp it doesn't matter. You will be sitting there cranking for about 5 to 10 seconds, starter motor whirring away, no sign of combustion. Then you let go of the key thinking you are defeated and it barely catches. Give it a blip of the throttle and it acts like nothing happened, settles into its slow idle. Weird thing is its fuel injected, so it shouldn't do any of this hot start/heat soak nonsense.

My old 1991 Cadillac with the 350 TBI would spin that starter motor for 2 to 4 seconds on a cold start, but man it was faultless in firing up. That old school 350 Chevy starter motor whirl was slightly romantic, it felt/sounded like an old car firing up, yet you always knew there was no tricky carburated science, that old TBI unit would always get you going with the first turn of the key and no throttle, no matter the temp.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    My old 93 Toyota truck will fire up every time, even at zero degrees, go right to high idle, run like a champ. What's funny is if you have it warmed up and then let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour so. Cold, hot, ambient temp it doesn't matter. You will be sitting there cranking for about 5 to 10 seconds, starter motor whirring away, no sign of combustion. Then you let go of the key thinking you are defeated and it barely catches. Give it a blip of the throttle and it acts like nothing happened, settles into its slow idle. Weird thing is its fuel injected, so it shouldn't do any of this hot start/heat soak nonsense.
    That was exactly what my 89 Buick Park Ave used to do. warm, cold, rain, shine. Try to start it ~30 min of cool down after it was running at temp, you could crank forever on the first try and it would do nothing, but it would fire up immediately on the second try. It got to the point where I expected it and just did a first quick crank, then a second crank and it would fire right up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.