1982 Fleetwood Brougham's new lease on life!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1982 Fleetwood Brougham's new lease on life! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Thought it was time to share the story of my 82 Fleetwood with some like minded people on this great ...
    57eldoking is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 57 Eldo Biarritz, 76 Eldo Conv, 82 FWB, 83 DeVille, 94 STS

1982 Fleetwood Brougham's new lease on life!

Thought it was time to share the story of my 82 Fleetwood with some like minded people on this great forum! I've been lurking quite a bit and this forum has helped me several times already mainly by looking up older threads thru the search function.

The story starts back in July of 2012. I had been a hired tour guide for 40 people from the American Car Club of Norway on a 3 week tour of Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica, CA. Following that trip I had another 2 weeks of traveling on my own for a work project. An ad on Craigslist for an 82 Brougham had peaked my interest and I decided to go have a look at it.

I was greeted by the arch stereotypical little old lady. Her name was Barbara Hamlin and she told me she and her husband bought the Fleetwood new from a dealer in Riverside, CA (Anyone know what dealer that might have been? She didn't remember, and didn't have the original paperwork.) Around 88 they got another new Caddy but instead of trading it in, her father took ownership of the 82. Apparently he didn't use it much, Barbara said it was his "funerals and weddings car" . Her father had passed a few years ago and she was now getting rid of the old Caddy again. We quickly agreed on a price and I was now the proud owner of an 82 Fleetwood Brougham.

The car had sat for a long time, in fact the last valid stickers on the car were from 94 I bought the car on Thursay evening and had to be on the road by Saturday morning and drive to Denver, CO for meetings on Monday!! I left Barbara's house via side streets (almost no brakes) and limped 10 miles down to Greg's Garage in Redlands, CA. Barbara had recommended Greg to me and on the phone I asked him to clear his schedule for Friday. Greg went hard to work on the car that Friday morning and replaced: all belts & hoses, plugs & wires, 4 new tires, coolant & tabs, engine oil, trans oil, differential oil, and a complete rear brake job. Unfortunately he couldn't get a hold of a new AC compressor the same day so I had to do without AC. I rolled out of Greg's Garage 8:30 PM that Friday, a full 3.5 hours after his supposed closing time! Extreme professionalism and service, cannot recommend him enough!

The definition of a little old lady?

Coming from an area where road salt is present 6 months out of the year you gotta LOVE California cars!!

Greg putting my wheel cover locks back on

The car hadn't been washed in probably 17 years so I gave it a quick (2 hour) wash before hitting the open road! Also realized I should have put on some new shocks...
    After 40 mins of scrubbing and a round of Armor-all the top came out looking like new!

Finally on the road! Driving past some flash flooding on the approach to Vegas.

No AC, but otherwise smooth (& sweaty) sailing!

Made the first fuel-stop in Vegas and did some cruising on the Strip

Scenic stop the next day in eastern Utah heading for Colorado!

Approaching the Rockies! The HT4100 certainly wasn't a rocket going over the mountains but slow and steady certainly won the race! I made it to Denver on Sunday night without any mechanical issues whatsoever!! I also averaged an impressive 22.5 MPG doing 75-80 mph where I could

I'll end this opening post here but will return with plenty more!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: 1982 Fleetwood Brougham's new lease on life!

Great pics! Congrats on saving a wonderful car. It's a twin to my mother's 84. Take it easy with the 4100. If it's made it this far, it might just make it another few decades.
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

The underside pics tell the whole story, what a beauty. Buying a car from a private party like this is so much more rewarding than going through a dealer. Price is usually better too and I'm sure Barbara was glad to see you get the car.

Love seeing the old girl out on the road and on The Strip. These memories will last you a lifetime. Congrats!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

What a great story and a gorgeous Cadillac! Can't wait for the next installment!

AElayyat is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
    Nice looking car.

The dealer is Dutton Cadillac in riverside, ca. That's where I have been going for service & parts for years.

Hope the caddy treats you good

cadillac_al is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

That's a beautiful car! I plan to take a trip to Cali some day to buy my next Caddy. Keep us posted any time.

c5cruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham, 98 Corvette, 99 Saburban and 03 VTX

Very nice and lucky find. A very nice looking car.
    Dutton Cadillac / GMC is and has been my dealership in Riverside and they've been there since 1936 so I think that's were they bought it. It was my dealership first with my Seville and now my Fleetwood Brougham.
    Good guys, fair prices but it's still a dealership wit a bottom line. If you have a trustworthy auto shop, stick with it.
    Keep sending those pics!

skirts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): RWD 90DL350
    Looks great and so do tires. Brand ? Thanks

ga_etc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '92 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, '05 Mini Cooper S
    I'm envious of your adventure. Beautiful car and an awesome story. Hope it continues for years to come.

Appreciate the feedback guys! Cool to know that it was most likely sold new by Dutton Cadillac, I'll have to see if I can't find a Dutton keychain or emblem.

The tires are American Classics. Had them on a 76 Calais a couple of years back and was very happy with them. They really are the best looking and also perform great in the snow which we get quite a bit of here in Norway. Unfortunately I suspect the set I got for the 82 to cause pretty noticeable vibrations between 55 and 70 mph. It's unfortunately a common problem with these tires...

Part two

After meetings in Denver I headed north for another meeting in Cheyenne, WY. The traveling and meetings were for a classic car tour I organized this summer along The Lincoln Highway, Americas first trans-continental highway which celebrated its centennial this summer. To celebrate this we shipped 71 classic cars from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Gerrmany & Finland to NYC, then spent 4 weeks driving the highway to San Francisco. Read more about the trip at http://www.lh2013.com

I had to pre-drive the entire route, inspect hotels and meet with car clubs & town officials. I divided this work into several trips, and instead of renting cars I bought the Brougham. After Cheyenne I headed west along the Lincoln Highway for 5 days out to San Francisco. I rented an enclosed 10x20 storage unit in Oakland and flew home to Norway to attend to other business for a while.

Had to take it for a short spin out on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Needless to say there weren't any speed records with the HT4100!

In front of Sand Mountain located along the Lincoln Hwy/ Modern Hwy 50 in western Nevada.

I returned to Oakland two months later and the Fleetwood fired up again without problems. 5 minutes out of the storage place I was putting down the driver's window and all of a sudden it fell to the bottom of the door Guess it could have been worse for a first problem! I swung by an Advance auto and picked up some tools to get the door panel off.

It's temporary home in Oakland for 2 months.

Auto-repair in the parking lot

The culprit! This small clip attaches the window to the tape that runs inside the regulator, obviously an item carried by every auto parts store....

Having found the problem I figured my best bet was to hit up some local junkyards. I scored big already in the first yard. It took me 5 tries, 3 cars and over 2 hours to remove that clip without breaking it. A royal pain in the a$$!!!.

This poor DeVille had not been a CA car, (or maybe it was left on a beach for a decade...) check out the rust on that hood. When I got the window disconnected from the regulator it fell thru the bottom of the door and down on the ground!!

Zero rust, so sad

Got the clip installed and window back up and running!

Spent the rest of the day giving it a more thorough cleaning before heading over to the Golden Gate Bridge for some pictures!

While I was home I bought an original 1984 Reagan bumper sticker on eBay. I bought a 76 Calais back in 09 with just 13k orig miles and it had an original 76 Ford bumper sticker. I thought this was pretty cool and had to get one for the Brougham. Most of this trip was during the presidential campaign last year and lots of people gave me honks, thumbs up and shout outs at traffic lights

In my next post I'll cover my 3 week trip over to the east coast also mostly via the Lincoln Highway.

Merry Christmas!

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Great thread!!! Subscribing.....

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Me too!
    I am actually in the city next to where your car is stored. Next time you come out, let me know and we can hit up the local greasy spoon diner that has been around since 1946.
    I know this storage place just across from the airport.
    Love the bumper sticker too. I have one of his from when he was running for governor out here.

Nice, I'll keep that in mind James

grauhst is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 FWB d'Elegance, 1983 Coupe Deville,1974 Lincoln Mark IV

What a beautiful car, I envy you.

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing!!

Regards
    Felix

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.