Nice Looking 78 Fleetwood on Ebay
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Nice Looking 78 Fleetwood on Ebay in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Came across this nice looking color combination, silver over red, on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111240119723 I 'm not fond of all that ...
    ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Nice Looking 78 Fleetwood on Ebay

Came across this nice looking color combination, silver over red, on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111240119723

I
    'm not fond of all that flat black paint spread over the underside, and the seats seem too glossy (Armour All?).
    Still, a classy looking ride.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

Re: Nice Looking 78 Fleetwood on Ebay

The owner has put Armor All on everything, seats, under the hood and trunk. He's trying to cover up rust with the flat black paint. Look at the pictures, you can see the rust peeking out everywhere through the black paint. I think I would stay away from this car. Even though the car is being sold from FL, it looks like it has spent quite a bit of time up north. That underside is loaded with rust. That dealer is as slick as the seats.........beware.

Tom C.

Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

The Bring a Trailer website picked this up. Lots of comments there ranging from what one of us would say to "I’m sure that most of us have seen smoking, rusted, battered examples of late 70′s Caddies driven by toothless crackheads." Ouch!

I wish this car hadn't been overly detailed and sprayed underneath. Lots of interest though, over 50 bids so far. Nice examples of these 77-92 cars are going to go up in value, that seems quite clear.

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/12/21/...comment-575438

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

I guessed that it was one of those molested cars with the spray painted bottom the second I saw that picture and then the post confirmed it. Some of the cars that guy sells look OK but there's no way I'd ever buy one the way he does that. I guess putting lipstick on a pig makes it look more appealing to some people and the rest of us who don't like the way that black paint and armoral look probably wouldn't buy the car the way it really looks anyway. It's just a way to make junk look better then it really is and sell it for a higher price to someone who doesn't know or care.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Like Seville Fan, I first saw this car on Bringatrailer.com.
    Most of the comments bashed this car, criticizing it with the typical anti-Cadillac comments.
    Yet, these same folks gushed about a basic older Corolla GTS .... I would much rather have $7k worth of fun in this DeVille
    over a fwd Corolla GTS.
    And I agree, one would be wary of this particular Fleetwood. The dealer has gone to great lengths to make this car look like a
    trailer queen, which it is not.

c5cruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham, 98 Corvette, 99 Saburban and 03 VTX

I think it's a nice looking car. I wouldn't pay 7k for it but it does look good.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

And the brake lines and been replaced......

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    That is old school car dealer stuff loading the underside up with undercoating. If it was clean (rust free) before they sprayed it then that is fine but entombing rust underneath is probably very undesirable.

It is a neat car, interior color is soooooo luscious! No power passenger seat - unusul for a Fleetwood to not have that option. Also appears the steering wheel has lost the woodgrain on the rim which is very common on 77-78 Cadillacs, looks bad without it, too bad they didn't complete the detailing by having that corrected. I just LOVE the look of the 1977-79 Fleetwood Brougham!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    I'm not seeing a ton of rust under that undercoating. I am seeing some, but that underside looks above average to me (remember, I live in the rust belt, where surface rust is common on late 70s-early 90s cars). I do think they should have wirewheeled the underside prior to undercoating it, as that frame doesn't look too smooth.
    The insanely excessive armor-alling worries me more than the underbelly. That interior/ engine bay is surely very greasy to the touch.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

People who shellac an engine bay should be shot!
    Armor All is a good restorative to bring back softness/flex to vinyl, but looks bad doing so. It does nothing for leather except make it slimy and block the lovely natural leather aroma.
    My rule of thumb is always, natural on natural, and synthetic on synthetic, when it comes to car care.
    Overall it is a gorgeous car that isn't beyond reasonably saving. Too much money, but compared to a used Civic or other such car for the same money what can I say!
    77CDV likes this.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    I'm not seeing a ton of rust under that undercoating. I am seeing some, but that underside looks above average to me (remember, I live in the rust belt, where surface rust is common on late 70s-early 90s cars). I do think they should have wirewheeled the underside prior to undercoating it, as that frame doesn't look too smooth.
    The insanely excessive armor-alling worries me more than the underbelly. That interior/ engine bay is surely very greasy to the touch.
    I think way too many of the details are super nice for it to be anything but a nice survivor.
    talismandave likes this.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I don't see much rust either. You can't hide real rust very well with paint. It may have had a slight surface rust issue that just looks better blacked out. That may even be factory/dealer undercoat. My 78 Seville has what I call factory undercoating. It is tough as nails and I have found nothing in my lifetime as tough as that stuff. It doesn't look as nice as a Cali car that keeps it's silver/grey underside paint forever. I don't think the next owner of this car will be driving it in salt anyway. If it never sees salt it will probably outlive all of us.

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

I'm not seeing a ton of rust under that undercoating.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    I don't see much rust either.
    Hate to tell you boys, the rust on that Caddy is so obvious, it's pathetic.

Look closely at the floor pans, the frame, the rear cross member, the front cross member, the frame right before the rear wheels, and the supports that hold the gas tank straps. It's not surface rust, it's crusty rust that he's trying to hide.

Like I previously said, that's a northern car, just look at the receipts most are from Binghamton NY. A few are from FL.

Tom C.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    I don't see much rust either. You can't hide real rust very well with paint. It may have had a slight surface rust issue that just looks better blacked out. That may even be factory/dealer undercoat. My 78 Seville has what I call factory undercoating. It is tough as nails and I have found nothing in my lifetime as tough as that stuff. It doesn't look as nice as a Cali car that keeps it's silver/grey underside paint forever. I don't think the next owner of this car will be driving it in salt anyway. If it never sees salt it will probably outlive all of us.
    No way is that factory undercoating. You can tell it was just recently sprayed on and over rust. Maybe the car is solid and the rust isn't major, that is very common but shooting undercoating or paint over it does nothing but bad things.
    At least the exhaust and other parts aren't painted silver like some of the cars that have been up on there before.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

after looking at it on my computer (and not my phone), I will say that frame looks rough. Also, there is pretty good floorpan rust. The door bottoms have also been repainted over the rust. In a year or 2, the rust will come back through. Why someone is paying over $7k for that car is beyond me. Looks like a $1500-2000 car (maybe 2500 if someone really wanted it) to me thats been waxed over.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.