Any good ol alarm systems?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Any good ol alarm systems? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm looking for an alarm system that turns on when I lock up the car. Something where I can still ...
    c5cruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham, 98 Corvette, 99 Saburban and 03 VTX

Any good ol alarm systems?

I'm looking for an alarm system that turns on when I lock up the car. Something where I can still use my original key fob. Nothing fancy that will start my car remotely, etc. Maybe something that will flash my lights when activated and deactivated.
    Any one know of one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*

Re: Any good ol alarm systems?

Depending on the year Cadillac your looking for, most have a factory alarm system that has everything your looking for.

Starting in '81, Cadillac introduced the Theft Deterrent option, which was a fully functional alarm system that included flashing lights, an audio alert (the horn), and ignition immobilization. The system was also triggered if the truck was broken into.

The '80's models did not require a key fob; the system was activated by the door lock switches and deactivated by the door lock key. If you want a key fob, the later '90's Fleetwoods came with them from the factory, but you can get aftermarket key fobs for the '80's cars.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Look for an old stock of the VKE or VSL GM security/keyless systems. They work great, and aren't too expensive. I have a 3200 on my SS, and a 4000 that I'm giving to a buddy.

This one is the top of the line that was made:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-FACTO...4592e0&vxp=mtr

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    Depending on the year Cadillac your looking for, most have a factory alarm system that has everything your looking for.

Starting in '81, Cadillac introduced the Theft Deterrent option, which was a fully functional alarm system that included flashing lights, an audio alert (the horn), and ignition immobilization. The system was also triggered if the truck was broken into.

The '80's models did not require a key fob; the system was activated by the door lock switches and deactivated by the door lock key. If you want a key fob, the later '90's Fleetwoods came with them from the factory, but you can get aftermarket key fobs for the '80's cars.
    I have a 95 Fleetwood. I didn't see anything but I'll look again this afternoon.
    Thanks for the info.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Look on your SPID for AU0. That is the option code for keyless. No alarm, though.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

You don't already have the factory alarm with the Fleetwood?

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post

Not in 81.
    I had a 80 Brougham coupe and it came with this theft deterrent option as factory installed.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

It's easy to test if your car has the factory alarm system.
    -Roll down your window
    -Lock the car and close the door
    -Reach in through the window and manually unlock the door and open it
    If the car horn goes nuts, you have the factory alarm system.

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    It's easy to test if your car has the factory alarm system.
    -Roll down your window
    -Lock the car and close the door
    -Reach in through the window and manually unlock the door and open it
    If the car horn goes nuts, you have the factory alarm system.
    Yes, I'm doing that as soon as the neighbors all leave for work. Then I'll check the fuses too and see if there's anything that has failed.
    I'll post what I find.

Well I locked it up, reached in through the window, unlocked and opened the door and nothing.
    I checked the fuses and none of them are marked "alarm" and all tested good.

If someone has any ideas please let me know.

The factory alarm is powered thru many fuses. It should be noted that once car is shut off, door open there is an indicator on the dash that will
    begin to flash as to remind you to set the alarm. Now, if your car was not equipped with this option, you'll still have that indicator there but there will be no bulb to it.
    All models carried the same instrument indicator dash panel strip..
    My current 80 coupe has it, but since it is not equipped with this option it is an empty spot. However, when I installed an aftermarket alarm I placed the blinking red light behind the indicator on the dash so it'll illuminate/flash when the system is armed..
    I can post all the info, if you need it, in the morning from my electrical manual..

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    The factory alarm is powered thru many fuses. It should be noted that once car is shut off, door open there is an indicator on the dash that will
    begin to flash as to remind you to set the alarm. Now, if your car was not equipped with this option, you'll still have that indicator there but there will be no bulb to it.
    All models carried the same instrument indicator dash panel strip..
    My current 80 coupe has it, but since it is not equipped with this option it is an empty spot. However, when I installed an aftermarket alarm I placed the blinking red light behind the indicator on the dash so it'll illuminate/flash when the system is armed..
    I can post all the info, if you need it, in the morning from my electrical manual..
    If this is for the 95 I think it would still have the bulb there to indicate when there is something wrong with the passkey system. But if it has the alarm it should still flash when the ignition is off and the drivers door is opened.

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    If this is for the 95 I think it would still have the bulb there to indicate when there is something wrong with the passkey system. But if it has the alarm it should still flash when the ignition is off and the drivers door is opened.
    No not for 95.
    This applies to 80 and above. As mentioned, if the car is not equipped with the theft deterrent system it will not have the bulb, nor the controller to activate/operate the system. The tell tale indicator named "security system" will be there but will not flash for the reasons just mentioned.
    Models equipped with or without theft deterrent system will share the same dash indicator lights..
    Mine was made to flash when I installed an aftermarket alarm 13 years ago. I routed the wires from the flashing red indicator light and drilled
    a small hole behind the tell tale indicator where the light would have been. So when armed, it will flash, thus illuminating the indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    No not for 95.
    This applies to 80 and above. As mentioned, if the car is not equipped with the theft deterrent system it will not have the bulb, nor the controller to activate/operate the system. The tell tale indicator named "security system" will be there but will not flash for the reasons just mentioned.
    Models equipped with or without theft deterrent system will share the same dash indicator lights..
    Mine was made to flash when I installed an aftermarket alarm 13 years ago. I routed the wires from the flashing red indicator light and drilled
    a small hole behind the tell tale indicator where the light would have been. So when armed, it will flash, thus illuminating the indicator.
    I haven't been in a Fleetwood for a while but other Cadillacs of that age used the security light as I said to indicate a passkey fault. They all had the passkey system if they had the factory alarm or not.

What does a passkey fault system exactly do? Because I've definitely never have heard it before. And, all 3 of my coupes do not have this so called passkey fault system that you keep mentioning in your replies.
    And neither did my first Caddy, which is long gone by now...
    Please enlighten me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.