Rejuvenating taillights
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayoldschool
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Rejuvenating taillights in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This is more of a "how to" or more of a "how should I" make my taillights look like new? ...
    c5cruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham, 98 Corvette, 99 Saburban and 03 VTX

Rejuvenating taillights

This is more of a "how to" or more of a "how should I" make my taillights look like new?
    My Fleetwood is starting to look a little tired. I've used the head light cleaner and they still look the same.
    I have a 99 Suburban and I just replaced them with LED lights and they look great! Is there anything that I could do for the Fleetwood to make them look new again or should I just get new ones?

Thanks for you input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacPimpinNOLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille

Re: Rejuvenating taillights

ido this all the time being that i work in a bodyshop. works for headlights and taillights...certain headlights have a protective coating that has to come off which is labor intensive but not hard.

remove the taillight, wipe any dirt off, depending how bad they are i have used a heavy as 220grit sand paper, you can go 320 or less its its faded or has light scratches

anyway you keep sanding till the scracthes mostly disappear, then move up a grit sand paper and repeat...just keep going up and up

when i get to 800 grit you use water, 1000, 1200,1500,2000, you can stop here, sometimes ill use 3000 but not needed.

now you need a high speed buffer, i prefer a small handheld one... from there you use a wool pad and compund and polish till the haze starts to disappear

switch to a black foam pad and use some good polish and polish till they come out looking better than new.

clean up any residue left over and admire...now this will make them look great but it wont last and within a few months will start to go back to the old look.

this is where most ppl who buy those kits fail. have any automotive shop clear the lights, it will seal it all up and will last like automotive paint looking fresh better than new for many many years

this is what it does to headlights and this is before i finished polishing it and no clearcoat yet, didnt get a pic of it cleared

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Yep, we just started doing headlight restores at Sams club for $30. We sand with 600 grit and apply a clear from a Rattle can and it looks good. 5 yr warranty also. Call Sams club by you ask if they do it. Take your lights off and bring them in if they do it. Plastic/poly lights only.

depends on the light, you can get away with 600 if its hazy and doesnt have the protective coating, not all cars have it. i know for a fact though that chevy impalas have the coating and that honda/toyota whatever i put pics up had it. and 600grit on a D/a sander youll go through 2 boxes of sandpaper and a whole day on and still not be done trying to get the coating off. thats when you can go heavy grit.

no taillights have the protective coating

Maybe we are talking about a different process, We've did about 20 cars in two months and it takes about 40 minutes from start to finish. We use 600 grit on a sanding block. Just headlights, havent did any tail lights.

same process, i use a D/A sander instead of a block though, you will find out and know when you get a light with the protective coating...after sand and polish it still looks cloudy. it wont come crystal clear until its all removed and its really on there. like i said not all headlights have it.

and no tail lights have it so he canstart at 600 and up then compound/polish and clear.

ill be doing my tail lights soon. might take some pics and post before, during and afters

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I just picked up a Jetta diesel (gasp, I know), and it has cloudy headlights like all of them. I think they have coating, you can see stuff peeling off like it is peeling paint. I'll hit them with the D/A, then the polisher.

yep that it, it will take a lil while but you need to get it all off, thats why i take a few more steps and use a heavier grit paper then slowly work all the scratches out

Jetta is the car I've did the most. You should get some clear in a can and spray it on.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I'm embarrassed to post this on our Cadillac forum...

Here it is. 100hp of turbo diesel power. Should get me at least 40mpg. At least it was free.

talismandave likes this.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

Here it is. 100hp of turbo diesel power. Should get me at least 40mpg. At least it was free.
    A friend of mine has one and gets 40 mpg if he dogs it. 50-55 is he tries to get good mileage.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

No shame in that. Well built cars and if it saves you money for Cadillac gas/parts it's all good!

c5cruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham, 98 Corvette, 99 Saburban and 03 VTX

Quote Originally Posted by 84coupedeville View Post
    I picked up a 84 deville with badly oxidized tail lights. After researching everyoption the best outcome was finding a cheap replacement pair. Brings new life into any car & if I was able to find brand new never used oem tail lights-you should have no problem
    After buying all the products and labor involved I just may pick up a couple replacements.
    $30 on line I think.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.