'94 Fleetwood hesitates when in overdrive
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By silverfox103
  • 1 Post By csbuckn
  • 1 Post By Aron9000
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, '94 Fleetwood hesitates when in overdrive in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone, Boy, what a week! First, my '94 Fleetwood developped an oil leak at the oil filter adapter. No ...
    Alscad56 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1956 Sedan Deville,1994 Fleetwood

'94 Fleetwood hesitates when in overdrive

Hi everyone,

Boy, what a week! First, my '94 Fleetwood developped an oil leak at the oil filter adapter. No problem, easy fix. Then the "check engine" light went on. And the car started to hesitate after shifting into overdrive. Seems ok when cold. Transmission oil level ok, oil color good.
    To end all this, I got into a fender bender two days ago on the highway. While passing into another lane, the lady in front decided to slam on her brakes (there was enough space in front of her to fit three buses). So I hit the brakes, and uh..oh...brake line split! So my car bumped into hers, she brakes more, I bump again, and again. All this happened so fast, I had no time to think of the emergency brake.
    So after all this, my front bumper pushed in about 1.5 inches on one side. The bumper shock took the impact. I hope I can pull it back out. Then That night, I started a bad cold...
    Anyway, 'nuff ranting, my question is, does anyone have an idea what may cause the car to hesitate on overdrive, while warm?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

Re: '94 Fleetwood hesitates when in overdrive

As long as the shock is not bent or leaking, you should be able to pull it out. I bought a 96 FWD about a year ago. Someone, before I bought it, kissed the rear bumper. I have a nylon strap that I looked around the bumper shock. On the other end I connected it to my hitch on the wagon. Applied a little gas and out it came.

Tom
    Alscad56 likes this.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

A hesitation in overdrive is usually an engine miss not felt until the engine and transmission are "locked up" in overdrive. I would look first at the secondary ignition ie plugs and wires for cracked plugs or shorting, old, wires. AND next time assume the guy in front of you is going to suddenly STOP and leave enough room! Hitting someone from the rear is always your fault.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

We'll give him the benefit of the doubt on rearending someone since his brake line busted. I think its the torque converter thats giving you the problems at cruising speeds.
    Alscad56 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    We'll give him the benefit of the doubt on rearending someone since his brake line busted.
    Thank-you! If I had brakes, I would not have hit the car. We always take for granted our cars won't fail on us that when it does, it catches us by surprise...especially on the freeway, with plenty of room between you and the car ahead. I changed lanes. Right at that moment, the car in front slammed on the brakes...for no reason. My time of reaction was one second. By the time I realized my brakes failed, it was too late to do evasive manuevers without causing a major pile-up...so, I bumped the car. Everytime I tried to move onto the shoulder, the car ahead kept slowing down, causing me to bump again until I had enough room to pull over. Trust me...it's hard to stop on time without your brakes!!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    A hesitation in overdrive is usually an engine miss not felt until the engine and transmission are "locked up" in overdrive. I would look first at the secondary ignition ie plugs and wires for cracked plugs or shorting, old, wires.
    Thanks. I hope it's not the opti-spark failing...could the oxygen sensors have something to do with it? I'm asking because this problem started only after my oil filter adapter sprung a leak, causing oil to splash onto the cat and oxygen sensor. Co-incidence?

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

With me, your buck, has been plugs, wires or cap... How old are they?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Unlikely a cat converter or Oxy. sensor. Oil on the outside has no bearing on how they perform internally. And.............. I will temper my opinion on the collision! A busted brake line is a rare occurence that you could not have forseen. I say again, most likely plugs and/ or wires causing the engine to buck, hesitate in overdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    Unlikely a cat converter or Oxy. sensor. Oil on the outside has no bearing on how they perform internally. And.............. I will temper my opinion on the collision! A busted brake line is a rare occurence that you could not have forseen. I say again, most likely plugs and/ or wires causing the engine to buck, hesitate in overdrive.
    Thanks. Plugs were changed last year. I'll have to check the wires.

My car is still at the garage...this being frozen outside and I have no garage. My mechanic showed me my brake lines...apparently, when I hit the brakes to avoid a collision, my brake lines busted in 3 different places which affected both reservoirs in my master cylinder, which essentially killed my brakes.
    This forces me to remind everyone to not take for granted that everything is fine with your cars. Do a check-up! Don't be foolish like I was.
    Why do my cars always break down in the worst weather conditions?

Update...

My car had the brakes fixed and the oil filter adapter also fixed. Strangely enough...the "Hesitation" on overdrive has stopped!
    The Cadillac is driving great...like it should!
    So, the hesitation started when the oil filter sprung a leak, and ceased when the leak was fixed...go figure..that's quite a co-incidence!

silverfox103 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

PM sent

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Man your story makes me glad to live in the south, with no snow, and NO SALT. Even our $500, 20 year old Toyota trucks have ZERO rust around here. Quite frankly if you take care of your old car and its a quality piece out of the factory to start with, cars tend to age as well as humans down south lol.
    Alscad56 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.