Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Signs of a transmission going dead

2K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  85 FLEETWOOD COUPE 
#1 ·
hello all was just wondering are there signs of a transmission is about to go? or needs something done to it? besides the normal slipping,i got a 96 cadillac fleetwood project car that i bought from a auction not to long ago got it running but now when i start the car and put it into drive or reveres it makes a high pitched noise well not really a high pitch it gives a sound like when your power steering pump got no fluids in it. it had fluids in it i checked the dip stick,im just scared to take it on a long drive and get stuck some where it has happend to me before in another car we had was not nice in the middle of after 5 traffic yikes,but and words would be kind,thank you all

----------

The car does not slip,and millage is 180thousand miles

#9 ·
if you want to eliminate all the belt driven accessories, take the serpentine belt off and run it. See if it still makes the noise. If it does, i'd bet its the tranny pump making noise. Maybe the filter is getting clogged.
really interesting,im going to try this out on my day off this weekend thanks for the words,ill report back to give update on this part

----------

I LOOKED AT IT AND # 20 IS THE CLOSEST TO MY SITUATION HERS WHAT IT SAID-20. Trans seems noisy when moving in 1st and Reverse, noise goes away instantly if you shift to N or the trans goes into 3rd gear: Reaction planetary is worn out due to high miles or insufficient lubrication. Not a critical failure, but not a good sign either. R&R sooner rather than later.

----------

----------

whats the Reaction planetary?

#14 ·
Ill see if i can post a video of it maybe? But so just change the filter and oil? I heard doing this may be risky and trans wont act the same as before? Another question whats the proper fluids to be in these transmissions? Is there a such thing as a high millage trans oil like they do for motors?

#17 ·
Not sure what he's talking about, but filters are made to be replaced. They do a job and when they can't do that job anymore, you need to replace the filter. You can buy them at any auto supply. In fact whenever there is a sign of a tranny problem, the first thing to do is change the fluid and filter.

Tom C.

#18 ·
What ape is saying is that if a tranny breaks down so much that it actually clogs a filter and causes problems, it's probably too late to do a filter/fluid change. But the only thing you can really do short of taking it in is change the fluid/filter. Really easy but messy.

#25 · (Edited)
You can never have too many tranny's. I used to have three spares, down to two now. When they go, it usually is a surprise. Mine happened 700 miles from home, be prepared. On that trip, it was my Carpice wagon, I carried every part imaginable, except the transmission. And you know the rest of the story, flat bedded home. Changing the fluid and filter, is an act of desperation, seldom changes anything.

Good Luck

Tom C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.