76 Cadillac ride not as SMOOOOOTH
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 76 Cadillac ride not as SMOOOOOTH in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just wondering what to look for as I make small improvements in my 1976 deVille. I have noticed the ride ...
    Jbmoffo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Currently: '76 Coupe. '73 Fleetwood (SOLD) 76 Coupe (SOLD)

76 Cadillac ride not as SMOOOOOTH

Just wondering what to look for as I make small improvements in my 1976 deVille. I have noticed the ride is not as typically smooth as it should be. I just acquired the car with it 35000 original miles. I owned a 76 previously with higher miles that rode MUCH better. Any suggestions I could take a look at particularly in the front end as I get a worse feel up front. I am also getting a front end shimmy at 55 to 60 mph. So I am going to get a tire balance first and also my front rotors checked because car pulls to the left under heavy braking. But anything else to get its Cadillac feel back?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbmoffo View Post
    Just wondering what to look for as I make small improvements in my 1976 deVille. I have noticed the ride is not as typically smooth as it should be. I just acquired the car with it 35000 original miles. I owned a 76 previously with higher miles that rode MUCH better. Any suggestions I could take a look at particularly in the front end as I get a worse feel up front. I am also getting a front end shimmy at 55 to 60 mph. So I am going to get a tire balance first and also my front rotors checked because car pulls to the left under heavy braking. But anything else to get its Cadillac feel back?
    How old are the tires? Old tires will cause pulling. My lesabre would pull right until I got new tires, then it stopped alot straighter.
    I'd also check the shocks. They probably don't have much life left in them.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: 76 Cadillac ride not as SMOOOOOTH

Pull to the left only on braking means a stuck caliper slider on the RIGHT side.

You need to pull the wheels and start going through the basics. Ball joints, check to see if bolted in, or riveted (rivets mean OEM). Center link, tie rods, idler arm. Upper and lower a arm bushings. Sway bar end links. Shocks. Tires. Calipers/sliders. Wheel bearings. All will need to be done on an old car. There are easy to follow how tos on youtube for everything. Tires: old? Check date codes, then replace.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

One way to ruin the ride on those cars is install aftermarket "cargo coil" springs.

Tires are new. They were installed last year. Rear springs were replaced about 3 years ago. What are CARGO springs? AND any suggestions on which ones the previous owner should have used?

----------

----------

Jay...
    Wish you were in NJ. I could use a good Caddy guy here...who knows the mid-70's cars.
    I suspect it is time to re-do the front end suspension even with its low miles.

You don't need me there (though I wish we all lived close to each other, it would make for some great weekend wrenching). If Ape Man is anywhere close to you, make a new friend, the man knows his stuff!

The front ends on these cars have stayed the same since we were born (and were the same on every GM RWD car from the 70s through the 90s). Parts are cheap, and easy to change. If you don't have the space/tools/skills, any local garage can handle it. Get it into a small local shop that you trust and ask them to check out the steering and suspension.

You may as well do that right side caliper yourself, it's easy. Pick up a couple of slider pins, some proper high temp brake lube and get that working properly. You will need a big C clamp and the proper size allen head socket to remove the caliper. Be prepared to throw a set of pads on it, one side may be worn down due to the sticking slider. You may find that the caliper piston is stuck, but they usually stick ON, causing pull to the bad side when NOT braking. While the wheel is off, you can do a quick visual on the upper/lower ball joints, the tie rods, the sway bar end links, and the A arm bushings. Also, check the shocks for leaking, and to make sure they are still attached. I had one that ripped the lower mounts out of the a arm once. That will definitely give you a bad ride

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

I think Cargo springs (in the context used here) are those cheap rear shocks with springs built into them.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Cargo springs are progressive rate springs. They are suppose to be soft when under no load and harder when loaded. In reality, the soft part of the spring is reduced n lengh to the point of being useless,and they are hard and harder.

When I was shopping for springs recently several shops told me that they were all that was available for it. That is not the case.
    The Ape Man likes this.

In driving the car, it is the front end that does not feel as though it should. I climbed under the car last night. Front springs are original. Shocks were replaced....BUT W WHILE AGO. I actually have the receipt from about 1983! Any thoughts as to which model shocks I should look into?
    PLUS, I did some research on my tires. Although they are new (installed in 2012), they are a cheap Canadian brand, and I suspect they are ALSO a reason for the poorer ride. I will be trying to get proper 1.6 in whitewalls from American Classis that would model the original LR78-15's. I know that is going to also make a difference in the ride.

Gotta watch out for those cheap Canadians. They give you a bumpy ride every time.

LOL!
    I've heard!

----------

Luckily, I have a guy in town that is in his mid-50's and loves working on these cars. He is more of a radiator/AC guy now, but worked on these older ones at his previous location.
    As soon as the weather in NJ allows, I am going to pop over to him and take a look at the front end. I am sure it is time to replace the shocks...and I do want to take a look at the ball joints and arm bushings.
    There is only so much I can see from my garage floor!
    Obviously, the caliper slider needs to be done right away. I might attempt it myself during our Christmas break.

vicello93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 sedan deville
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbmoffo
    Tires are new. They were installed last year. Rear springs were replaced about 3 years ago. What are CARGO springs? AND any suggestions on which ones the previous owner should have used? ---------- ---------- Jay... Wish you were in NJ. I could use a good Caddy guy here...who knows the mid-70's cars. I suspect it is time to re-do the front end suspension even with its low miles.
    if you are lookingm for caddy guys in Nj, the cadillac club of north jersey is the place. A lot of guys who knows about these cars, they have helped me a lot!

Thanks. I always forget about the Cadillac Club.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

The 1976 front end is completely different than a 77 and up. The 76 design goes back to 1962 with the steering linkage behind the crossmember. The upper balljoints are adjustable for camber/caster. Try that with a 77.

Huge diameter rear springs were a moneymaker for a lot of shops. I had a 72 CDV that had those. Awful ride compared to my 71 which had well worn original springs all around. Night and day.

Here are the apostrophies I've left out... '''''

Angry Re: 76 Cadillac ride not as SMOOOOOTH

Ape Man,

The previous (2nd) owner said he replaced the rear springs because the car was sitting too low. I actually think it may sit too high now...but just my opinion. Unfortunately, I do not have the paperwork from when the springs were done. The front springs (based solely on my observation) are original to the car..Back ride is not so bad. Front needs work. I owned a 73 before and its ride was FAR superior to this one. I also had a 76 I bought in 06. Its ride was also much better and much softer. I would sail over RR tracks, speed bumps, etc. and never know it
    Know any good Caddy guys up in North Jersey?

----------

WAIT...did I mention I would not know it until the dash in those cars would squeak...and MAN did they squeak.
    MINE needs some tightening now for SURE.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.