76 Cadillac ride not as SMOOOOOTH - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 76 Cadillac ride not as SMOOOOOTH in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I don't know any good mechanics anywhere. Sri....
    The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: 76 Cadillac ride not as SMOOOOOTH

I don't know any good mechanics anywhere.

Sri.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by Jbmoffo View Post
    Ape Man,

The previous (2nd) owner said he replaced the rear springs because the car was sitting too low. I actually think it may sit too high now...but just my opinion. Unfortunately, I do not have the paperwork from when the springs were done. The front springs (based solely on my observation) are original to the car..Back ride is not so bad. Front needs work. I owned a 73 before and its ride was FAR superior to this one. I also had a 76 I bought in 06. Its ride was also much better and much softer. I would sail over RR tracks, speed bumps, etc. and never know it
    Know any good Caddy guys up in North Jersey?

----------

WAIT...did I mention I would not know it until the dash in those cars would squeak...and MAN did they squeak.
    MINE needs some tightening now for SURE.

Some thin weatherstrip tape between the panels before reassembly can help quiet dash panels.

Jbmoffo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Currently: '76 Coupe. '73 Fleetwood (SOLD) 76 Coupe (SOLD)

What type? Auto weatherstrip....or home weatherstrip?

The squeaks drive me NUTS!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I just used the moderate compression home stuff bu Frost King. It is grey and I got the thinnest thickness in a medium width. Made a huge difference on my Sebring when I did it. It was a rattle trap!

Jbmoffo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Currently: '76 Coupe. '73 Fleetwood (SOLD) 76 Coupe (SOLD)

Ironically, I recall my father's 1975 Coupe de Ville dash rattling like a crazed lunatic BACK IN 76! He would constantly bang and hit the upper dash section until he thought it would stop despite my mother's squeals for him to stop and keep his eyes on the road. Needless to say it did not stop the squeal...in the dash nor in my mother.
    So, I guess they were prone to squeaking. His was remedied after he had the clock repaired for the 3rd or 4th time before he bought his 79 Coupe de Ville. I think they cemented that thing back together.
    I am familiar with that style weatherstrip...I'll pick some up and try to get my dash apart. WE already have temps in the low 30's here in NJ, so working in the garage is not so fun unless my gas heater is cranking for a while.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.