Been a member for a while, first time posting..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranger
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Been a member for a while, first time posting.. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello to all fellow Caddy enthusiasts! I have been a registered member for a while now and i'd like to ...
    cjpoke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 89 Brougham DeElegance

Been a member for a while, first time posting..

Hello to all fellow Caddy enthusiasts! I have been a registered member for a while now and i'd like to thank all of you for being here
    because you've bailed me out more times than I can count without me having to post a word.....Until now.

1989 fleetwood brougham De Elegance with telescoping wheel, current problem, ignition switch seized.

I am not a trained mechanic. I am the type who does the research as best I can, buys the tools, parts and try to do everything myself.

This project has me stumped. I should preface this by mentioning that it appeared the previous owner had someone go into the column as I pulled what seemed to be a cut piece of heater hose about 1 inch long from the column that was under a smaller rubber ring/seal that looked like it actually belonged there. I still haven't figured out what its intended purpose was. I am stuck where there is a VERY STRONG C-clip holding the locking plate on. This clip appears to be steel. There is no hinge so that maybe a retaining clip tool can work it off. I tried a flat head screw driver, nothing.

Please see image here.... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1x...it?usp=sharing

Does this seem factory or aftermarket? Anyone who can point me in the right direction is most appreciated (Calling in reinforcements on a student budget is a last resort) This car (unfortunately) is my daily workhorse and I am having to take off of work because, well...I cant get there..

Thanks in advance,
    Jay in Phoenix

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: Been a member for a while, first time posting..

So you can't start the car at all? Can the ignition be turned on at all to the point where it illuminates the dash lights? If so, you can wire in a horn button to start car. Splice wires and connect to horn button and viola. Splice purple and red wires from ignition switch located on column.
    That's what I did to my 78 and 80 coupes..

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I don't remember the clips looking that heavy duty but it probably is factory. Nothing else will fit. The last time I had to remove one I didn't use my puller to push down the lock plate. I had a rugged friend who was there at the time hold it down with his thumbs. Even if you don't have a selection of pullers you should be able to bolt something on there to push it down. Since you are in college you may know some rugged guy with some free time that may be able to help. I have heard the telescopics are a little different in there but I don't know how the lock plate could be different. Good luck.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

There's a tool that compresses the plate against the internal spring inside the column that you cannot see. The clip comes out easily then.

Have you checked to see if the ignition switch itself is binding and not the colums guts. The switch is mounted atop the column under the dash.

Hopefully the column doesn't have to come apart.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man View Post
    There's a tool that compresses the plate against the internal spring inside the column that you cannot see. The clip comes out easily then.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/350145508941?lpid=82
    The Ape Man likes this.

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

My ignition switch went bad on my '78 Deville 2 years ago.I tried to replace it myself with a plate compressor but ran into problems with the telescopic wheel parts in there so i had a mechanic repair it.
    I brought in a 1977-1978 Cadillac service manual that had the complete repair procedure,to assist the mechanic.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.