auto dimming mirror
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bro-Ham
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, auto dimming mirror in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 84 fleetwood coupe i know that year they offered a auto dimming rear view mirror as a ...
    prager5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 84 FLEETWOOD COUPE

auto dimming mirror

I have a 84 fleetwood coupe i know that year they offered a auto dimming rear view mirror as a option i have a brand new mirror for this car i want to install does anyone know if the wiring is up in headliner for when this option was ordered when new or they put a different wiring harness with connector in car if ordered with this mirror? if not where would i find connector?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by prager5 View Post
    I have a 84 fleetwood coupe i know that year they offered a auto dimming rear view mirror as a option i have a brand new mirror for this car i want to install does anyone know if the wiring is up in headliner for when this option was ordered when new or they put a different wiring harness with connector in car if ordered with this mirror? if not where would i find connector?
    I think you can just tap into the wiring for the vanity lights/ garage door opener/ map lights

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Hey buddy, yes you should be able to find wiring up above. I had a modern auto dim mirror with compass/outside temp/reading lights fitted in my 79 deVille and my mechanic wired it up to the existing wires inside the headliner so you should be able to do the same. Good luck!

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: auto dimming mirror

The mirror came in a group of other options. If it doesn't have it the wiring usually isn't there but it's not big deal to tap it into something else.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    The mirror came in a group of other options. If it doesn't have it the wiring usually isn't there but it's not big deal to tap it into something else.
    I think it was not even a factory option in 1984 anyway. I think it was 1985 when it was first available, will have to review the sales literature to be sure. I believe the self dimming mirror was available a la carte when it first came out like all Cadillac options were in the good old days.
    talismandave likes this.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I looked through the sales brochures available online, and there is no mention of an Automatic Rearview Mirror as a Standard or optional feature for any of the '80's RWDs. The last full brochure is '88, and I'm pretty sure they were standard equipment on the brougham (if not, definitively an option).

In order for the mirror to work correctly, it needs to be connected to the gear selector switch (when you put the car in reverse, the mirror automatically returns to its original position). Cadillac used pretty much the same wiring harness and wire colors from '80 to '89 (possibly until '92), so when you look at the wires, look for a pink, a black, and a light green wire. The pink is power, the light green is the input from the gear select switch, and the black is ground.

Usually, cars come with the same wiring regardless of options, so if the Automatic Day/Night mirror was an option for the Fleetwood Coupe (it could have a sedan only feature), then the wires and connector will be up there.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I am installing one in mine but I am planning on skipping the reverse feature. I don't understand the reasoning other than to appease the corporate legal dept.

If someone is behind me close enough their lights dim my mirror, I don't plan on backing up anyway!

prager5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 84 FLEETWOOD COUPE

thanks for the feedback

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

I think someone got some options confused. No Cadillac ever moved the inside rearview mirror. The mirrors that move (down) when the car is put into reverse are the two OUTSide mirrors, and that was only in the very late 90s or more likely 2000 & later, and only on some cars.

mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

I did this to mine. I tapped the radio circuit (fuse panel) for a switched power source, as the overhead console is a live circuit all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    I think it was not even a factory option in 1984 anyway. I think it was 1985 when it was first available, will have to review the sales literature to be sure. I believe the self dimming mirror was available a la carte when it first came out like all Cadillac options were in the good old days.
    You're right, 1985 was the first year for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sven914 View Post
    I looked through the sales brochures available online, and there is no mention of an Automatic Rearview Mirror as a Standard or optional feature for any of the '80's RWDs. The last full brochure is '88, and I'm pretty sure they were standard equipment on the brougham (if not, definitively an option).

In order for the mirror to work correctly, it needs to be connected to the gear selector switch (when you put the car in reverse, the mirror automatically returns to its original position). Cadillac used pretty much the same wiring harness and wire colors from '80 to '89 (possibly until '92), so when you look at the wires, look for a pink, a black, and a light green wire. The pink is power, the light green is the input from the gear select switch, and the black is ground.

Usually, cars come with the same wiring regardless of options, so if the Automatic Day/Night mirror was an option for the Fleetwood Coupe (it could have a sedan only feature), then the wires and connector will be up there.
    Some of the brochures mention the mirror, some don't. Base Broughams didn't have it. The early auto dimming mirror hooked upto the headlights for power, there was no sensor to turn them off during the day like the 90s ones. It doesn't have to be hooked up to the gear selector to work, it'll just stay dimmed if it senses light behind the car.

The options package is where the wiring for the mirror comes in. If you have a loaded car with the mirror missing for some reason it might have the wire there, but usually no mirror means there's no wire for it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacmike68 View Post
    I think someone got some options confused. No Cadillac ever moved the inside rearview mirror. The mirrors that move (down) when the car is put into reverse are the two OUTSide mirrors, and that was only in the very late 90s or more likely 2000 & later, and only on some cars.
    Not true. The 80s auto dimming mirrors did move to dim them.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    You're right, 1985 was the first year for it.

Some of the brochures mention the mirror, some don't. Base Broughams didn't have it. The early auto dimming mirror hooked upto the headlights for power, there was no sensor to turn them off during the day like the 90s ones. It doesn't have to be hooked up to the gear selector to work, it'll just stay dimmed if it senses light behind the car.

The options package is where the wiring for the mirror comes in. If you have a loaded car with the mirror missing for some reason it might have the wire there, but usually no mirror means there's no wire for it.
    ----------

Not true. The 80s auto dimming mirrors did move to dim them.
    You must meannthat these early auto-dimming mirrors actually moved the mirror to the "Dim" position - basically flipping the little switch for you.

That's not moving the mirror's point of view, like the outside mirrors did in some 2000 & up cars when put into reverse.

Ad why would the gear matter on the center mirror - you should be looking out the back window, not into a rerview mirror when backing up!

Its also a single level of dimming as opposed to the graduated dimming we got in the 90s and later - sort of like the photochromic lenses in my glasses..

I remember my ElDorado convertible making the inside mirror really dim when i had the top down at night.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The reverse feature isn't so you can back up with someone behind you, its so the mirror will return to the undimmed position. Otherwise the mirror may not be facing the correct direction when you try to use it in day-light (it would need to adjust to the light level, and could adjust incorrectly).

Ad why would the gear matter on the center mirror - you should be looking out the back window, not into a rerview mirror when backing up!

AND, I personally use the rear-view and side-view mirrors when backing up. I do not look over my shoulder or out the back window unless I'm backing onto a street and need to look for cross traffic.

This is way I trained to drive in a state certified driver's education course, and this the way I needed perform my driving test in order to get an Ohio State Driver's Licence; not using the mirrors or looking out the back window constituted failure of the test. Using the rear-view mirror is safer, because it allows you look out the front, back, and both side windows, thus allowing you to see everything going on around your car while backing up.

You must meannthat these early auto-dimming mirrors actually moved the mirror to the "Dim" position - basically flipping the little switch for you.

That's not moving the mirror's point of view, like the outside mirrors did in some 2000 & up cars when put into reverse.

Its also a single level of dimming as opposed to the graduated dimming we got in the 90s and later - sort of like the photochromic lenses in my glasses..

I remember my ElDorado convertible making the inside mirror really dim when i had the top down at night.
    That's what they did, a motor would move the mirror. No-one ever said it changed the point of view like the outside ones, reverse just makes it go back to normal like sven914 said.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I've put several of these mirrors in most of the cars I've owned. On my 84 sedan it was necc to run 2 wires down the left A pillar to access a switchable power source in the fuse panel. all the wires by the map lights are hot at all times. If your car has a sun roof THEN you have a switchable power source at that switch in the headliner. I connected the ground wire to metal under dash. I did not connect the wire to the reverse wire on my back up lights switch. That was provided so as backing out of a dark garage, you could see better. A fairly simple mod. The only thing I ever had an issue with is some mirror mounts glued to the windshield are either too narrow or too wide to accept the new mirror which requires a glass shop to install the proper mount. Had one in my 86 Fiero, 86 BMW 325, two 84 Eldo's and my 84 Sedan DeVille. I just ordered one for my 88 Mercedes Benz.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.