1979 coupe deville chassis
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1979 coupe deville chassis in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 1979 cdv that im fixing up, but the chassis is pretty rusty. What other year caddys can ...
    kingmadrigal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 coupe deville

1979 coupe deville chassis

I have a 1979 cdv that im fixing up, but the chassis is pretty rusty. What other year caddys can I use as a donor? Will other same body style GMs work. Any help or advice is greatly aappreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: 1979 coupe deville chassis

Any full size C/D from 77-96 (same thing, the C body was renamed the D body in the mid 80s). NOT B (Caprice/Impala/Roadmaster).

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Any full size C/D from 77-96 (same thing, the C body was renamed the D body in the mid 80s). NOT B (Caprice/Impala/Roadmaster).
    I recall 1980 coupe saying that a 98 frame was listed as about 2 inches shorter from wheel to wheel in the FSM.

So does it have to be a 2 door or is the 4 door the same frame?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmadrigal View Post
    So does it have to be a 2 door or is the 4 door the same frame?
    2 and 4 doors are the same length

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Where is it rusted? Replacing a frame is a huge undertaking, partly because all the parts involved are big and heavy. I would at least investigate getting the current frame welded. Those frames are repairable, and like anything else, if you choose to repair it, get someone who knows what they are doing. Even if you are charged $5-800 I think you would be money ahead. Also, check the body mounts as well. I assume the rest of the car is nice so that it is worth all the effort? Pictures?

Its rusted from the door to the back, its pretty much falling apart especially whenever i jack it up, if it can be fixed that'll be awesome. image.jpg

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

I see your in Racine. I'm in southeastern WI too. I was just at Sturtevant Auto today and there is a nice 90-92 brougham there. You could probably pick that up pretty cheap and use the frame from it. Frame looked pretty clean on it.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I have seen the frame rail beefed up by welding a length of angle iron along the bottom of the rail. I have a '78 that had this done. Last year I cut the rear section off and used the rear section and the axle for something else. Most of the original frame has rotted away, but the angle iron is still attached at the front of the rail and still supports the weight of the engine and transmission mounted in the frame.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

I would be very careful about jacking your car up until you get the frame repaired or replaced. Depending on how badly your frame is rusted, jacking it in the wrong place could bend your car to the point that the doors might not open, or at the very least make them not open and close properly. My 78 has some frame rust issues, and when I finish my Mustang project, I plan on buying a mig welder, learning how to weld, and fix it myself. Check out lay it low if you haven't already, and see how many guys box these frames (so they can hop their cars). As has been stated before, get a professional estimate and see if it is fixable. Good luck.

Thats my plan, i want to make sure the chassis is good so that one day i can put hydraulics in it. Thanks for all the advice!!

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

These frames are designed to be light weight. If you pull the body off the frame , your will notice it flexes. You will notice, they have truss bars located in strategic locations to help limit frame and component torque and flex. I find the weakest point is the back end of the side rails before the rail attaches to the rear support structure. Using the Service Manual, the lift points for the frame are located at the heavier structured sections the front and rear sections flat boss areas. The car body is actually a reinforcement element for the frame structure along the side rails. The body mounts tie the front and rear sections together.
    To do what you propose, I would not use this frame. I suggest you find a truck frame to set the body on. The side rails are beefier and although wider, they would stand up to the stress you are proposing to subject this car to.

What kind of truck frame might fit??

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Everything you need to know about reinforcing that frame for hydro can be found over at layitlow.com. If you are ready for hydraulics, you need to be able to plate and wrap. That will make patching rust easy.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

Iv heard 77-96 as well and heard it was not true at the same time but id just do 77-79 just to be on the safe side

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.