1979 coupe deville chassis - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1979 coupe deville chassis in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The closest truck frame would be from a 1/2 Chevy or GMC 1/2 ton short bed step-side, fleetside, fender side ...
    deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: 1979 coupe deville chassis

The closest truck frame would be from a 1/2 Chevy or GMC 1/2 ton short bed step-side, fleetside, fender side or wideside pickup. They were 4" shorter in wheel base, so you would have to reset the body. The specs I have were from 1985 - 1989. They may have had a longer production run, up to the 90's when GM changed the truck platforms due to the false allegations of gas tank explosions.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Have you actually seen a truck frame swap done? I don't understand how it would work. Cars have a perimeter frame, the body drops down and the frame tucks up in the rockers. The truck frame is a ladder frame, the car body would be sitting up in the air, resting on the floorpans. The rear frame doesn't have the kickup for the axle like a car, it is much flatter to accommodate the bed. The front A arms are located lower on the frame than the car.

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

My grandparents had a 77 in CT. Winters were not good on these cars up there and the frame rusted thru. From what I understand it was at a shop on a lift and the poor old thing started to bend/sag. I didn't see it but from what I understand my grandmother had to drive it to the dealership to trade it in with a rope/cable from the back bumper,up over the roof to the front bumper. Needless to say she got the "Rough" trade in value!!
    Jeff

Yes, I have seen these mods. Done around here for off road crazies, was a major rage in my area for a long time. The 1/2 tons have a frame that is closer to the basic characteristics of the autos. They do not raise as high as the 3/4 ton frames. I believe the control arms will interchange which will help lower the stance and you can do what you will with he rear. He is going to have to make alterations if he uses a stock frame. Someone else has a thread in here regarding these issues also.

Ok, I understand what you mean. Car bodies on truck frames for 4x4s have been done many times. However, this guy wants a lowrider. A truck frame won't work for that (with a car body).

Agreed, the pic displays a 4 WD setup. Notice that frame is longer WB than the Cadillac frame was. The truck frames I'm suggesting are 2 WD with a coil over rear suspension. The frames were beefier along the side rails because they did not rely on the body to reinforce the span between the front and rear sections.

I've got a coil rear spring RWD truck. That frame is not going under a Cadillac. Too narrow.

I'm not actually sure the truck frame would be stronger, as well. It's open C channel all the way back.

That is the old style ladder frame. The frames used on the late 70's - 80's were different.

When I see one under a lowrider Cadillac, I'll believe it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.