Problem with trunk pull-down 89 Brougham
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pitoya
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Problem with trunk pull-down 89 Brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am having problems with the automatic trunk pull-down on my 89 brougham. The pull-down part works fine but the ...
    Pitoya is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Brougham -90 and Brougham -89

Problem with trunk pull-down 89 Brougham

I am having problems with the automatic trunk pull-down on my 89 brougham. The pull-down part works fine but the electrical switch that is supposed to be on the trunk lid (called the latch switch) is missing and all I have is a 2 wire connector. The wires from the connector are blue and black, the black one is grounded straight to the trunk and the blue one goes of into the vehicle. Now the strange thing is that the blue cable is grounded for some reason so I suspect a broken cable or a broken component at the other end. So the two things I would need to know is how the switch is supposed to work and where the blue wire goes so I can trace it out and check the connection.

My other Brougham from 91 has a 3 wire connector/switch with completely different colors so looking at that does not do me any good

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Problem with trunk pull-down 89 Brougham

What specific issue are you having? Is the pull-down not activating when the lid is closed, or is the latch mechanism not rising to the pull-down position after the trunk has been opened?

According to my Factory Service Manual (for 1989), the pull-down unit uses three wires; ORN/BLK, DK GRN, and BLK (looking at the wiring diagram, there isn't a blue colored wire in the factory pull-down system).

Your '89 probably has an aftermarket pull-down unit, which may work differently from the factory one.

The problem is that the pull-down is not activating once i close the lid, its not pulling down, but if i reset it manually it will rise up when i open the trunk. So it works but only in one direction.

Well if it is supposed to be a 3 wire solution for the 89 then my car must be missing wires. It is nice to get this confirmed though because it means I can use my 91 service manual to trace the problem further

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Looking at the diagram in my service manual, none of the wires in the system are used to determine the position of the latch. The orange/black wire comes in from the fuse block to supply power to the pull-down, the dark green (maybe blue in your case) goes to instrument panel to turn on the TRUNK warning lamp, and the black wire is ground.

When you reset it manually, does the motor run to bring the latch up? If the motor is running, then you have power coming from somewhere (whether that be through the blue wire or through a third wire your not seeing). If the motor isn't running when you reset it, then you need to find and connect that third wire.

The mechanism that senses the trunk latch and activates the pull-down motor is internal to the pull-down unit. I do not believe you can service the internal mechanism, so if you have power to the unit, and it still doesn't operate correctly, you're probably going to need to replace it.

After digging deeper it turns out that although the pull-down unit from the 89 works in the 91 the unit from the 91 will NOT work in the 89, they are incompatible. So now that I have figured out what the difference is i thought i would explain it so others don't have the headache i had.

On the 91 brougham there is a switch 2-way located on the trunk lid latch (on the actual lid part where the lock mechanism is). This switch will tell the pull-down unit if the lid is latched on to the hook that is pulling down. This means that the 91 pull-down unit is not self-contained and need input from the switch.

On the 89 brougham there is no switch. The way the pull-down unit tells if the lid is latched on is by electrical contact between the hook and the locking mechanism. The locking mechanism is grounded to the body so by closing the lid the motor is grounded and it begins to pull the lid down.

The way to tell the two different systems apart is by the small copper tab coming out of the control box and touching the hook. If you have that tab you have the older system. If there is no tab you have a newer system and will need extra input from a separate switch in the lid.

pic: left is 89 right is 91
    IMG_0672_zpsa73221dd.jpg
    talismandave likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.