IPC fade to black.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, IPC fade to black. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; lately the IPC has been acting up, I suspect it is on the way out. When I turn the key ...
    firstimecaddi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville; 95 FWB

IPC fade to black.

lately the IPC has been acting up, I suspect it is on the way out. When I turn the key ON or if I start the car, the IPC sometimes remains black. No speedo, no gas gauge, no mileage count or trip count. If I am to beat/tap on the dash pad I can get the IPC back. But this is happening to frequently.

Questions: is there a repair procedure to correct this intermittent blackout?
    I know that mileage info is stored in the IPC, if I am to get a junkyard unit can it be programmed to my actual mile age?

Please advise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Maybe a ground issue? I seem to recall that causing issues in the digital speedo impala.

Re: IPC fade to black.

do you have any further insight?

what about reprogramming a used unit?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

The dealerships did reprogram at one point, might want to call and ask.

silverfox103 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 Fleetwood & 07 CTS, 94 Roadmaster Wgn & 94 Caprice Wgn

There are companies that restore / rebuild digital units. I think I would go that route. Easy to find on Google. Then you wouldn't have to find a good working unit or deal with mileage.

Tom C.

thefleetwoodguy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 triple black fwb

I was able to repair my own and a couple others the solder cracks at some key connections mine has been working with no issues now for a couple years
    it takes a steady hand and a slim pointed solder iron the weller gun is to big, if you were to remove it I could outline the common areas that seem to have the
    issues , its not for the timid but not brain surgery either cant promise it will work for you but I am 3 for 3

Hey Cap'n.........been a long time!

I am not afraid to get into things, and would be willing to try your fix.

Thanks guys.

@silverfox filed away under useful info.

@thefleetwoodguy,

I've got the unit out, awaiting further information.

thanks

sorry for the delay not sure this is gonna do you any good at this point but if you can snap a pic I can point out some of the common places that require resoldering ...apologize for not getting back to you right away been busy here
    didn't see you had it out tll just now
    since I have had a few cars that I scrapped I made up a plug cut from the dash harness of a 94 fwb wired it up , easy to do and powered up the inst clstr then gently moved around the circuit board applying light pressure to the connections until it would turn on
    sometimes just from removing it it will start working but will shut off again shortly after you reinstall it , so don't be fooled
    id send you my power plug but its back east maybe someone here has one or a junker they could cut it out for you...hope this is of some help

larryinalabama is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham

I sent the digital speedo on my 1990 brougham to a feller up north somewhere, he fixed it and sent it back for 90$, I had to ship it up there. He used to be on ebay, I have the card somewhere and will post it if you need it.

here goes...

----------

the third photo is of the dummy lights I haven't seen any issues with that part of the cluster the raised section I outlined seems to be the trouble spot also the other piece I circled has been bad on at least one other one my first attempt just be sure to use a pencil type iron the thinnest you can find a steady hand magnified glass helps too resolder these points and see what happens be careful like I said before takes a steady hand and patients and no guarantee of success but for me it worked on a few of them first time I triedit it worked for a week then I removed it again and finally found it was the raised portion that needed the resolder on my 95 good luck

----------

in the top photo the back part of c brd isn't lined up with that resistor just look for where it comes thru the back of the board lol its
    late and ive been on the ocean all day

upon closer inspection, I found a loose resistor on the raised section of circuit board. But it is not possible to get at it to try to resolder the contact points. Because this board is separate from the main board, but it is secured to the main board and there is no access to the solder points.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

I have 2 spare digital dashes that have the typical problems. I'll have to dig them up and poke around and see if any of what you circled is the problem with them.

on one I removed that raised portion you need a solder vacuum you can get from radio shak there cheap enough I think theres two
    rows of contacts 4 points on each you have to work your way back and forth being gentle remove as much solder as you have to to
    get the pins to release, on one I/c I replaced that piece it seems to be the culprit on most of them it isn't impossible but is a
    bit tedious,
    and save any working clusters anyone may have they can be used as donors for that raised part maybe one of the electronics gurus can id what that part is its the heart of the cluster for sure again I wouldn't recond this for everyone you could damage ur cluster beyond repair but if you have basic electronic skills soldering etc it can be done havind the jumper plug is nice since you can power it up prob the contacts look for loose ones

----------

also if theres a radio repair type shop around it wouldn't be much for a skilled pro to de solder that and resolder it up
    just a thought good luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.