car won't start- ideas?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By cadillac kevin
  • 1 Post By csbuckn
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, car won't start- ideas? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I went to start my caddy yesterday and the starter clicked when I turned the key but would not engage. ...
    cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

car won't start- ideas?

I went to start my caddy yesterday and the starter clicked when I turned the key but would not engage. I attributed it to the 4 year old battery. I took the battery from the lesabre (which ran yesterday), threw it in, and still couldn't get the caddy to crank over.
    Since I lasted started it, I have replaced the alternator, replaced the alt to battery (0 gauge, soldered copper ring terminals both ends), battery to distribution block (4 gauge, soldered copper ring terminals both ends), and put a new copper ring terminal on the starter wire (soldered on). I've also cleaned up the wires from the computer and the ALDL (still have the ends, and non of the wires connect in any way through the harness ends, so this shouldn't matter). From reading the FSM, it appears that the computer is in no way related to the starter system. My guesses are bad starter or maybe battery to starter wire. Anything else it could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

Re: car won't start- ideas?

I'm wondering about the starter wire. Are you sure it's getting good contact with the battery?

----------

Have you bench tested the starter?

Quote Originally Posted by j2rossit View Post
    I'm wondering about the starter wire. Are you sure it's getting good contact with the battery?

----------

Have you bench tested the starter?
    The starter wire is right against the battery terminal. I'll try shimming it so its flat against the surface and try again though.
    I have not bench tested the starter. It does appear to be recent though. If I cannot figure it out, its getting towed to the shop on friday and they can figure it out (its going in for suspension and rims anyways.)

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

I've had this experience. It was always the starter.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Just when I posted in another thread about these cars not breaking down, here you go starting a new trend lol. Now everybody is going to break down, sorry guys. I sure would have took the starter out and got it tested. You can take it apart pretty easily, also.

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I'd throw a set of stock battery cables on it to eliminate the custom cables as the problem. You can also test the starter on the car with a set of jumper cables.

mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

I think its csbuckn's fault! LoL, I also recently just started to have starter problems. I put a re-manufactured one in there over the summer. In just the last day, All I get is a click when i turn the key. After a few tries (sometimes) It will fire right up like there was never a problem. Weird

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Click and no start if the battery is good is pretty much always either the starter or a loose connection at the wire going to it.

This is 100% Sam's fault. I think we can all agree that because of his boastfulness, all our cars will now break (LOL). I can say that until 2 days ago, my 350 always cranked over no problem.

Jay, I think i might have enough 4 gauge left over to rerun the battery to starter cable (have the old battery to dist block run, which was 4 gauge except 1 foot). I cannot see how soldering on a copper end would cause a broken connection, but I guess anything is possible. I'll try rerunning it later if I have time. If not, I'll have it towed and work on it at the shop.
    As I said, when I crawled under the car, I noticed the starter looked newish, in which case it is probably a cheaper reman, so it dying would not surprise me.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

In csbuck's defense I believe there must be something dingy but hefty enough to prevent your car from starting right over . Like what ? Well I still insist a through once over the battery and then troubleshooting other possibilities such as fuel pump/relay,ignition system

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Some remans have junk solenoids installed on them. The old Delcos would withstand and operate at almost any load. The "new" foreign junk solenoids will fail out of the box.

Apparently, the caddys battery was shot and lesabres battery was too low to crank the starter on the 350 (although it worked in the lesabre just fine). Called AAA for a tow this morning, and the guy retightened the battery cables (the one to dist block was a hair loose but the one to starter was tight), threw a jump box on it, opened the choke, and it fired first crank. It's now at the mechanics awaiting suspension and rims. He figured that due to it being a bigger engine, and probably higher compression, it may take more battery power to crank then the 307 in the lesabre.
    77CDV and csbuckn like this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Yes! I'm off the hook. Glad it was the battery instead of the starter.
    talismandave likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.