lug nuts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By drmenard
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, lug nuts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have been trying (with no success) to locate the old chrome lug nuts and locks from my dads B ...
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

lug nuts

I have been trying (with no success) to locate the old chrome lug nuts and locks from my dads B body wagons, so I figure I might as well buy a new set. Does anybody know what thread pattern I need for the brougham, and what a good place to get lug nuts would be (or even a brand recommendation). I checked the local autozone, but they didn't have a set of 20, and the ones they had looked cheap. I'd rather get ones of decent quality.
    I'd like to get locks too (the ones that require a key) since I'll be putting aluminum rims on the brougham.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: lug nuts

Rockauto or ebay doesnt show anything? What year and make b body?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Depending on the aluminum wheel chosen, they can use a different lug nut than the steel wheels you have. not the thread size but the taper. The original lug nuts where jacketed (covered with) stainless steel over mild steel, not chrome. Aluminum wheels tend to loosen lug nuts so the taper is wider or the lug nut has a collar that goes into the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    Depending on the aluminum wheel chosen, they can use a different lug nut than the steel wheels you have. not the thread size but the taper. The original lug nuts where jacketed (covered with) stainless steel over mild steel, not chrome. Aluminum wheels tend to loosen lug nuts so the taper is wider or the lug nut has a collar that goes into the wheel.
    The aluminum wheels I'm using are buick turbines off a late 80s buick wagon. I know I cannot use the factory lugnuts off my brougham because they aren't all tapered (some are flat with built in washers to hold the hubcap locking piece on).

Those lug nuts with the washer "built in" are in fact tapered where they touch the steel rim. Go to a tire and rim retail shop with a turbine wheel. They will most likely have the proper nuts and can provide lockable nuts as well. You need the MC GARD type lug nuts with the clover leaf pattern and the specific lock to remove that one lug nut from each wheel. The chrome lug nuts will eventually rust and that's why the original stainless steel was used by the factory.

heres a set I was looking at. they (supposedly) fit the fleetwood (if you pick a year prior to 1984 when it went fwd, and they dont have a brougham option) and are acorned, which is what I need for the turbines
    http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automo...gy_auto_text_y

I wish I could find a 16 pack of mcgard (or 16+ 4 locks), as they have a lifetime warranty

You don't want more than 4 wheel lock lug nuts. One on each wheel. The warranty is not on the chrome but on the recess or locking tabs not breaking. The same lug nuts were used on any large GM rear wheel drive car with styled wheels where the lug nut is exposed. 60's/ 70's Riviera's, Pontiacs and some Oldsmobile's with rally wheels etc.

finally found a mcgard set of 20 (16 nuts+ 4 locks). I know what i'm buying tomorrow morning.
    http://www.amazon.com/McGard-84530-C...ype=automotive

Great choice!!!!

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

The original lug nuts for wire wheels are chrome. They are the only ones I've seen factory that are actually decent.
    That's a good price on amazon for the McGard ones. I have the same looking ones on another car that I paid at least another $15 more for 13 years ago.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

lug nuts for $15, how about beer nuts for $2.75 and deer nuts are under a buck....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.