front end rebuild
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, front end rebuild in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have some noises that drive me crazy on my 1987 Brougham I am planning this winter to replace springs, ...
    shrike77 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham 5.3 Vortec, 4L60E transmission

front end rebuild

I have some noises that drive me crazy on my 1987 Brougham
    I am planning this winter to replace springs, shocks and would like to advantage of the winter to do some front end work.
    I was thinking of replacing all bushings. But what else should I replace? What about strut bearings and other components like pitman arm, center link, etc...? I`d like to make a list and order my parts soon. I plan on going with Moog parts unless you think there are better options for the price. Since I am going with heavier springs an Bilstein shocks should I use firmer bushings?
    What would you recommend to replace?

The car was not abused and not much mileage on it, about 80k miles but is a 1987 with original parts most probably.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

charley95 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 91 brougham

Re: front end rebuild

I just replaced quite a bit of front end parts on my 91 Brougham. With 80k on yours I wouldn't be too concerned about A arm bushing replacement. The pitman arm is no longer available and most likely not worn out on yours. Mine has 140k on the P arm and it's still like new. Most likely worn parts would be tie rods,idler arm & center link. I would stick with Moog, they still make a good quality part. Your best bet would be take it to a good front end shop and have them inspect the front end parts before alignment. Why would you go with heavier springs and Bilstein shocks? It's a Cadillac,not a Corvette! I use Monroe shocks and they work just fine and have a lifetime warranty. I doubt your springs need replaced unless they are broken. Mine are just fine at 140k. I did replace the steering gear box on mine due to excess play in the wheel. You can only purchase those remanufactured. Also take a look at your stabilizer links on the end of the front sway bar.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille

Pitman arm is a non wear item. It's the center link that wears out. I had that replaced on mine 10 years ago. It and the shocks have been the only parts that have worn out on mine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I would also say that you probably wont need new control arm bushings unless they are squeaking or you've hit the curb a time or two. Which springs are you going with? I think the Impala springs and Bilstein shocks are a great combo, lowers the ride and stiffens up them corners. I rock Bilsteins in the front only and love how it stays flat when turning.

shrike77 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham 5.3 Vortec, 4L60E transmission

Thanks for your answers.
    The reason I want to have heavier springs as well as Bilsteins is that I am tired of the car bottoming out at every 3 potholes. I have new stock shocks with springs that supposedly came from a towing package Caprice. I still find this combination too soft.
    I replaced the stabilizer links already. One of the was broken.

I am surprised by your replies, I really thought that after 25 years even though the car has low mileage, the bushings would be shot.

In that case I will most probably start with replacing the springs and shocks and see from there if there is any play. I might have not placed properly the springs in their seats also. Something I need to make sure I do next time.

The shocks I plan to go with are the 1516/1517's which are the progressive ones. They should be better suited for the roads in my area.

The springs I am not really decided yet but I want to go with higher rates than Impala SS ones.
    For the rear ones I will go to about 190 lbs/in which should be the same rate as towing package springs on our cars. If it is regular springs I am thinking Moog 8543 or 8223. If it is cargo coils I am thinking CC611
    For the front ones I initially wanted to go for springs that have 710 lbs/in but these might be too stiff for the roads I am driving on. I will probably go for somewhere around 550 lbs/in (Moog 5552)

I want to have the same height as stock for the rear or maybe even a bit higher

8. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.