Problem with cardan axle or whatever the correct english word is..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Problem with cardan axle or whatever the correct english word is.. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 1970 coupe deville, which I snapped the cardan axle, is it the correct word? The "drive shaft" ...
    Ludde is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville 1970

Problem with cardan axle or whatever the correct english word is..

I have a 1970 coupe deville, which I snapped the cardan axle, is it the correct word?
    The "drive shaft" from trans to rear axle.

Wondering in between which years they are the same and if any other model is sharing the same, with CV joints.
    Hard to find parts here in Sweden..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jeppi94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadllac Brougham

Re: Problem with cardan axle or whatever the correct english word is..

it's called propshaft, but other from that, i have no idea. If you can figure out the name of your engine and gearbox model it should not be too hard to google some info.

YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Which part of it broke? Is it was just one of the joints, or part of the actual driveshaft itself? It may be repairable

I imagine it may be difficult to source a used one in Sweden, and It's a large heavy part that may cost alot to ship. I know here in the states, there are shops that specialize in creating driveshafts from scratch or repairing old ones, like 4x4 shops and such. Maybe they could help you out?

----------

As a matter of fact, I have something that can probably answer your question...

I checked in my 1970-75 GM Parts catalogs, and the 1970 model year has its own seperate part numbers for the complete driveshaft unit. My guess is that its unique for that particular year

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

You are correct. The propeller shaft (driveshaft) does have a double cardan joint. GM used them on the longer wheelbase full size 70s cars to avoid using a center bearing hanger (like used on the pre-64 Chevies, and the pickups). My 71 Pontiac has this joint. It is two U joints with a connecting piece. I got the rebuild kit from GM for mine, but that was at least 20 years ago. That doesn't mean that it isn't still available, though. Check rockauto.com to see if they offer the parts you need.

The joint looks a little like this:

Yes it looks like that, or looked like that, the shaft snapped in the middle, the yoke to the rear axle snapped, and the joint. The tailhouse of the TH400 snapped/cracked..

So you mean that all the GM fullsized from -70 and newer has this propshaft?

It is really long, so I don't know if it would work to order a new complete 1350 ChromeMoly propshaft with "normal" joints, maybe it will be to long for a non CV-joint setup?

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

A regular driveshaft may work but I have a feeling it will have enough vibration to be annoying. I am lucky to have driveshaft rebuilding services close to me so it is no problem to get any driveshaft made. If there is any shop in your area that works on 4x4's they should know where to get a driveshaft rebuilt. I'm sure that cv joint can be purchased somewhere. If it isn't possible to get this done in Sweden then maybe you could experiment with a regular driveshaft without cv and experiment with shimming the trans mount to get a vibration-free angle.

A newer GM vehicle would have that same cv joint. If you found one with low miles and good condition you could hopefully find a shop that could lengthen it for your car.

purelux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville
    You definatly don't want vibration caused by drive shaft, wear on trans, rear end etc... plus could brake loose and pole vault. I used to have a 98 town car even with stock power you were limited to 3.55 gears. They later and on crown Vic police cruisers went to aluminum or composite shorter drive shafts with extended tail housing. If they do custom its possible with use of different metals you would be good with a standard CV, or maybe they can make a 2 piece.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by Ludde View Post
    Yes it looks like that, or looked like that, the shaft snapped in the middle, the yoke to the rear axle snapped, and the joint. The tailhouse of the TH400 snapped/cracked..

So you mean that all the GM fullsized from -70 and newer has this propshaft?

It is really long, so I don't know if it would work to order a new complete 1350 ChromeMoly propshaft with "normal" joints, maybe it will be to long for a non CV-joint setup?
    What broke? All 3 things? WHat did you do?

all 3 and exhaust system/mufflers, don't know yet the status of tranny.
    Aaaa, burnout, 6500rpm on third gear.... caddy engine 505 with EFI and a blower..

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

There were 3 different tail housings used on the TH 400's. I believe the late 60's and early 70's used the mid length housing. I believe I have a cardan joint that is cut off of the shaft. I would have to check my drive shaft section. The big Buicks used this joint also.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

The other function that the double cardan joint serves is to split angles. It can handle a greater deflection angle than a single U joint. If you can't find a used one (and you will need one from a car with the same wheelbase, rear end, and trans length), I would suggest having a driveline shop build you one. Sweden is the largest market for American cars outside North America, so there has to be a shop there that can handle it. If you can locate a shop that is good with off road vehicles, they will know exactly how to build you a shaft. If not, call Denny's in the US with your measurements, and get your Visa card ready...

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Quote Originally Posted by deVille33 View Post
    There were 3 different tail housings used on the TH 400's. I believe the late 60's and early 70's used the mid length housing. I believe I have a cardan joint that is cut off of the shaft. I would have to check my drive shaft section. The big Buicks used this joint also.
    I checked my drive shaft section and I do have a rear cardan joint with the flange. I do not have the front cardan joint, but do have the front yoke. As for the front yoke, GM used a couple different yokes for that application, applicable to the different transmission tail shaft sections. The Cadillacs use the long splined yoke. The long yokes allowed more separation in distance from trans tail section and rear axle. Check your motor/trans mounts. These things happen when the mounts allow engines to move more than they are intended.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.