Yet another filler panel question - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Yet another filler panel question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I wonder if I could find NOS, and if these company's could actually make something that fits. But I imagine ...
    cadchris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 91 Bro-Ham, 91 Yello-dorado

Re: Yet another filler panel question

I wonder if I could find NOS, and if these company's could actually make something that fits. But I imagine that they were made in flexible urethane originally so as to be adjustable on each cars subtle variances in chrome bumper and chrome tail light housing positionsssssssss

Before my fillers went south, along with my health, one of the 2 company's here in Fl asked me to stop by with my car so they could check out the fitment and so they could possibly do something about their mfg. or molds, but I never stopped by and I don't know what's worse looking, what's left of my fender extensions or my crumby health!

I may still stop by and ask them "what's up with the fitment of aftermarket moldings".

I only wonder what the story is with the company that posted 2 times on this thread and who's posts were removed......I guess since they were a new member trying to drum up business.

So there's that guy, 2 here in Fl, and I think maybe a few others plus many others who are dealers advertising on ebay, Hemmings ect.....

I just don't have the strength or time to d'ck around anymore so I guess my fashion statement is to go "extension-less impairment"!

I even bought new NOS rear chrome tail-light extensions to do this all at the same time but they may end up boxed forever.

I'm going to go look for my neighbor in the condo to see if he's around tonight and ask him what body shop did his and find out where and what they did to re-correct them to look fairly decent. I'm sure they used a heat gun since the first time I saw them the alignment was awful.

I'll take a photo and post his up if I can get more info.

Regards,
    Chris

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    The website that mysteriously vanished is www.autorifix.com I wonder what the difference is between their ABS and the their fiberglass?

Anyone ever use the one's from "Original Parts Group"? Only up to 1976 models: http://www.opgi.com/cadillac/1976/sh...panel/CFP1041/

I'm sure they have good quality stuff. I'll have to call and ask them tomorrow who's making theirs.

WELL.....I didn't see my neighbor hanging out around the apt. building tonight, but I took a bunch of photos of his filler extensions, and in a dark garage, they are infact, still messed up with all kinds of alignment issues.

I'll definitely ask him what shop installed them and where they were purchased, because they still have issues and I remember they did re-adjust them since they were so bad when first installed. I'm sure some of the distortion I see is from the use of a heat gun by the body shop.

But my neighbor has certainly backed into objects and has been hit from behind a few times and he had to find a used bumper and bumper shocks so some of the "lines" could be from collision misalignment, but other "lines" just are not lining up to the shape of the chrome bumper light housings.

I'm not sure how many photos I can post or should I send them to anyone by e-mail to post.......?

----------

Just found a tutorial on "Lay It Low" and even the fillers by that company "www.autorifix.com" need filed and adjusted according to the article. Good right up, but the posted photo links no longer work and can't be recovered using "Waybackmachine". Maybe someone here can contact the guy to re-post his photos.

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/22-ma...er-filler.html

I just found another company here in South Florida.....Hmmm: Danko Reproductions: http://www.dankoreproductions.com/st...etwood-broughm

Looks like they did a lot of mfg. projects:
    http://www.dankoreproductions.com/about-us

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Danko does fiberglass. No idea what they're like now, but they had a terrible rep years ago with the Impala/Caprice crowd.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    This sure seems like a ripe opportunity for someone to produce a better product similar to the original.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Urethane was a good product. Very resilient and it would go back into shape if you didn't crush it too much. But after 25 years it would become brittle. Too bad GM discontinued replacement parts after a shorter span of time than the urethane lasted.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I dunno, I got some used fiberglass ones that seem to fit pretty good on my 77. Only a trained eye could tell they aren't original. I don't know what company made them but I am more than satisfied.

Well, for what's its worth, since I'll probably never do mine due to health issues, I bumped into my neighbor last night who bought his locally from the mfg. in our town in S. Florida.

He said he purchased his fillers about 3 yrs ago directly from Plastic Parts Inc., and I told him the family business split up and there are now 2 company's that are competitors next door to each other. I asked if he bought them from AutoBodyFillersUSA, but he didn't know of that place, so his could be from either place but he did say "YES" when I asked him if his were from Plastic Parts Inc. I'm sure they are both using the same molds. He took his fillers to a body-shop for painting and installation which I'll call to ask them what they knew about his fillers.

More I look at them, they are not worth more than $50 a pair nor the effort to paint them unless he got some bad ones.

I actually have some NOS rear chrome fender tail-light housings that I can take to either of those mfgs to see if they line up and fit the contours of the housings. For the most part, the side fender body lines look good when your looking at them directly from the side of the car, but if you look down the side of the car towards the rear of the car, the rear fillers do not line up and leave a huge visible gap in the upper portion of the chrome extension housings.

The top has a small dip, and some distortion in the upper top horizontal inner surface which could've been from the body shop using a heat gun. Maybe if I show either of these mfgs. how bad they look, and give them my rear NOS Fender Housings, maybe they could make adjustments to their molds so the fender fillers "flare out" and blend into the rear chrome housings. The problem is that the width changes from the rear fender to the rear chrome housings.

How do these compare to other reproductions fillers on the market???????

See Photos:

I DOWNLOADED TO PHOTO BUCKET.....DOES IT WORK?
    http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/ch...?sort=3&page=1

HELP: I just got a message that my image files can't be re-sized. The limit is 1024 x 768 and my photos I'm trying to upload are 2976 x 3968. What does this mean?

Should I re-take the photos in lower resolution or can anybody tell me how I can down-load the files?

Or should I just use PhotoBucket?

Unless I can send them to one of the Moderators who might be following this thread and they can post them........

Regards,

Chris

----------

Here are the photos downloaded to PHOTOBUCKET.

Click on following link:

http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/ch...?sort=3&page=1
    talismandave likes this.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I think the alignment could be closer. The Black car would need the right/left bumper ends loosened to determine if they could be repositioned to align with the extension. This can be tricky. You have to pull the bumper back to get to the bolts. Move it, tighten, then reposition to check alignment. Can be a tedious practice. The blue car has the same problem, but shims have to be removed from the bumper to impact absorbers flanges to bring the bumper in closer to the extensions. Also the right extension could be closer to the body line. With the ABS fillers, if you use the original frame to fasten the extension, the extension frame has to be trimed to fit the ABS filler first, then set to the fit and align to the body. This is a time consuming operation in itself. If you don't use the frame, expect to have to deal with other alignment problems, but I always use the frame as it helps to set the contour to the body at the point of contact to the body. You can buy ABS extensions on Ebay or other with this operation already done for you, but check it out before you do your final mounting. The blue car illustrations show that the shop or person who did the mounting didn't have the patience to do it right and settled for the alignment he got, resulting in terrible body lines. Good luck!

That was the same blue 92' Brougham in all the photos of my neighbors car. Also, I now remember he backed into a building from what looked like at 20mph and destroyed his original bumper a few years ago so that was replaced with a used bumper and bumper impact absorbers and it was obviously not fitted or installed well which is typical for S. Florida body shops and why I wouldn't be satisfied if I didn't install them myself.

So there are sellers on e-bay that have those metal mounting strips already trimmed and contoured to the fillers if I understood you correctly?

I purchased NOS chrome bumper ends and I was going to do it all at once, so that's good to know that they need adjusted too. But the bumper needs to come off to do it?

Those bumper end bolts are so accessible w/o the fillers, unless they can be accessed by taking out the tail lights....

Does the bumper need removed to install the fillers or to access those 2 bumper end bolts or for other adjustments if the rear bumper has never been impacted and the bumper absorbers have not been compressed?

Thanks,
    Chris

----------

Here's another thread on the subject. If anyone has others, please post them up here.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.or...topic=110623.0

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.