Thinking of buying a 68 DeVille hardtop
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By deVille33
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Thinking of buying a 68 DeVille hardtop in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys, I've had a few newer Cadillacs, but saw a nice looking 68 and fell in love with it. ...
    sams2100 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 DeVille Conv, 1999 DeVille, 2003 Escalade

Thinking of buying a 68 DeVille hardtop

Hey guys, I've had a few newer Cadillacs, but saw a nice looking 68 and fell in love with it. I'm going to look at the car today, so any tips on what to check out would be helpful, but what I'm really interested in knowing is what you guys would guestimate the cost/labor to be around the things I know are broken with the car.

The AC and heater are not working, but it does blow air. This is probably my biggest concern as winter is coming and I'd at least need the heat.

The original steering wheel isn't there, there is some after market one that the guy put on. Any ideas on the cost of a period correct wheel and how much work it is to replace it?

The dash isn't the cleanest, it appears to have a good bit of wear. Not sure what it would cost to replace a few of these pieces, so any advice there?

And finally the seat is the original cloth seat, but there are several tears around the driver position on the bench. The guy said it should be easy to get it re-stitched, but have never been through the process. Any ideas on that? Also any ideas on the cost to just throw on some nice leather seat covers to make it look fresh and new?

The body of the car looks great, chrome and paint are beautiful, and no rust from the pictures that I can see.

The guy is asking 5K for it, but not having shopped around for the 68's I'm not sure if that's a good price with the known problems or not. I know the convertibles go for over 10K from what I've seen, but haven't seen too many 4 door hardtops for sale to get an idea of price.

Thanks for the help guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: Thinking of buying a 68 DeVille hardtop

Without pics, it is hard to make a guesstimate. Restorations on these cars has to be a work of love to bring out the true beauty to the object of your obsession. I wouldn't plan on using it as a daily driver until you get the major bugs worked out of it. Bring a set of coveralls with you and crawl under the car and check it out underneath. Look for the possible rust, wet stains for leaking conditions and any jury rigging mechanical fixes the previous owner may have used as a temporary fix that became permanent. Take someone else with you. Someone who has some mechanical knowledge would help greatly.
    77CDV likes this.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

Late 60's GM's were plagued with frame rot under the rear doors where the frame starts to rise up over the rear axle. That would be the first thing I'd check for.

Quote Originally Posted by deVille33 View Post
    Without pics, it is hard to make a guesstimate. Restorations on these cars has to be a work of love to bring out the true beauty to the object of your obsession. I wouldn't plan on using it as a daily driver until you get the major bugs worked out of it. Bring a set of coveralls with you and crawl under the car and check it out underneath. Look for the possible rust, wet stains for leaking conditions and any jury rigging mechanical fixes the previous owner may have used as a temporary fix that became permanent. Take someone else with you. Someone who has some mechanical knowledge would help greatly.
    Here's some pictures from the listing. He also sent some inside pictures that show the front seat with tears in it, a missing radio, and an after market steering wheel, but those pictures were of such low quality I couldn't see any good detail. I'll have to judge the inside when I get there.

01313_3F13P3qZ0EO_600x450.jpg
    00h0h_47ZnihrhG9Z_600x450.jpg
    00M0M_fj1Oi2NU8vk_600x450.jpg
    00e0e_azN69YxB2C5_600x450.jpg
    00000_eXOHKAgUgCP_600x450.jpg

Thoughts?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by j2rossit View Post
    Late 60's GM's were plagued with frame rot under the rear doors where the frame starts to rise up over the rear axle. That would be the first thing I'd check for.
    This....my toro is rotted here. Not really a critical spot on the toro, but on a body on frame RWD car, it would be.

Well I went to check out the caddy this afternoon and there were several things not working or missing with the car. One door wouldn't open, none of the power windows worked like they should, the knobs to control the mirrors were missing, the radio was missing, the power seats didn't work and the bench seat in the front felt like it would break off and fall back at any moment.

There was some bad rust getting started on the edge of the hood that they just painted over and the chrome on the hood had cracked in half. The engine sounded like it needed a tune up when idling, but appears to run well enough when given gas. Those were just the things I asked about when looking at it. Before meeting him I asked what didn't work and he said only the AC and heater, so his definition of not working and mine are different.

I love old cars, and I think that one had some potential, but it wasn't worth anywhere what he asking for it in my opinion and it wasn't in a condition I could enjoy. Hope someone else does take up the project though.

cadillacbart is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 DeVille Convertible (current project)
    Looks like rust in the hood leading edge. The rear quarters likely have been repaired- the emblems are missing from the body sides. Often these are filled with pounds of bondo. Check them carefully. I also believe that all of the side moulding is incorrect. Hubcaps are not 1968.

Forgot to mention the trunk lock didn't work either, and he couldn't open it.

I believe it pulled a junker from a yard somewhere, got the engine running and painted it. Pretty much every feature of the car did not work.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacbart View Post
    Looks like rust in the hood leading edge. The rear quarters likely have been repaired- the emblems are missing from the body sides. Often these are filled with pounds of bondo. Check them carefully. I also believe that all of the side moulding is incorrect. Hubcaps are not 1968.
    Is there a quick and easy way to detect bondo on a car? (besides dragging a magnet over every inch of it)

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by sams2100 View Post
    Forgot to mention the trunk lock didn't work either, and he couldn't open it.

CALL THE FBI....we found Hoffa!

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    pulled a junker from a yard somewhere, got the engine running and painted it.

That's what it seems like to me. Although it's a big step in the right direction, glad you weren't fooled by the nice paint.

New update on this caddy... So was at the bar with a few coworkers tonight and they convinced me to throw a ridiculous offer at the guy selling this car of $1000, and he responded back with, "sure".

I figure for a K I can't go too wrong as the car is probably worth 600 or 700 in scrap. Enjoy it for a few months while fixing a few simple things and then flip it for a few 100 more. During that time, learn about these cars for when I get the nice convertible one.

Am I crazy, or would you guys take the gamble too?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I'd do 1K. You cant really go wrong with that. Almost seems like he playing around. Once you get the seats looking good, you'll be pretty happy with the car. The dash will be a work in progress. I dont thing you'll be selling it anytime soon.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    I'd do 1k on the car. Worst case scenario, you lose a few hundred when you sell it.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

1K would be worth it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.