Project thread: 1979 Coupe DeVille Phaeton (a thread 7 years in the making... kinda) - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Project thread: 1979 Coupe DeVille Phaeton (a thread 7 years in the making... kinda) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I think that looks like my 74, I will check tonight unless someone with 74-76 beats me to it....
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Project thread: 1979 Coupe DeVille Phaeton (a thread 7 years in the making... kin

I think that looks like my 74, I will check tonight unless someone with 74-76 beats me to it.
    Benzilla likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Project thread: 1979 Coupe DeVille Phaeton (a thread 7 years in the making... kin

Well I don't know, but here are photos of my 74.

imgur

imgur

Does seem to have the same "more rounded" corners.

Sorry it took so long.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Thanks! I appreciate it. That looks like the correct one, even the gasket has the same markings on it... The rear corners on all of them round a bit more than the front, but yours looks to be the same as the original, and the one on Denice.

I was just looking on eBay & saw a 1979 Delta Eighty-Eight Coupe with a master cylinder like mine! So I did some searching around, and saw many others with the regular style master. So, apparently, they're somewhat interchangeable on more cars than just mine. I still can't find a replacement gasket or cap for this version though... not listed for *any* car that I've found. Maybe Bendix just makes funky master cylinders?

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Aftermarket parts....blech!

afaia1978 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Coupe Deville

"2013: I replaced the distributor with a re-manufactured 4-pin federal version in order to bypass the Electronic Spark Selection (aka E.S.S) box, which is an annoying CA emissions feature that had WAY to much authority over engine timing advance."

The ESS box on my 1979 Coupe Deville somehow got fried and melted. I was reading on how you bypassed
    the ESS box on your car. Could you give me some more information on exactly what you did to accomplish this?

afaia1978, I posted details in your thread for your problem here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l-problem.html

Basically, I bypassed it by replacing the distributor with one that wasn't made to incorporate the ESS box.

Random consolidated updates!

Ever since the shop replaced my torque convertor & basically rebuilt the rest of the trans, it had been shifting like your great aunt's Buick; early, and so soft it was like the trans decided to sit down & take a break between gears. I finally got a set of jack stands & ramps, so I got under there this afternoon & adjusted the vacuum modulator. Two full turns in brought the shift right about where it should be. It's not hard, but concise. And it actually downshifts into first when you gas it at 25 mph, instead of sitting there flat & opening the secondaries before even thinking about a downshift.... They had it far too conservative. The mush bowl just couldn't keep up with the way I drive this car. Now it's back to it's old self!

Is any trans fluid leaking normal? Saw a couple drops forming near the rear of the trans while under there. Around the propeller shaft area. No matter how many times this trans is rebuilt or repaired, it's always seeped a bit of fluid. I'm changing the oil soon, so I'll look around more while I'm under there.

I'm planning some front suspension work in the (hopefully) near future. It really needs front shocks. Recently, I test drove a '87 Brougham with new KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on the front, HiJackers on the back (same rear shocks as mine, with my Impala SS springs for adjustable ride height), and I thought it rode wonderfully! Comfortable, yet composed! Now I'm sold on a set. Anyone have personal experiences with these? Right now, the front shocks are an ancient set of Monroe Sensa-Tracs from the previous owner... It bottoms out so much, the front bump stops are shredded from compression.

In that vein, it needs a lot of things done to the suspension, lol. I want to replace the front stabilizer bar end links & bushings with something stiffer & newer. Any recommendations? I've been looking at Moog performance stuff. I heard somewhere that I could order end links for a 1996 Impala SS for an instant firming up, is this true? Or would it be essentially the same part for both cars? Eventually I want to go through the entire front suspension / steering & refresh everything to my specs. Cleaning up the chassis as I go. Until then, I'll replace whatever I can with limited facilities & experience.

I also desperately want a rear stabilizer bar!! The poor Phaeton handles like Forest Gump before the braces came off compared to the other two Caddies whom both have their sway bars from the factory. What was the stock size? Really, anything would be better than nothing. Hoping by summer I'll be able to take a corner without everybody/thing in the car sliding to one side!

That's all for now. Nobody I'm around in person today fully appreciates any of this, so I had to nerd out on here! haha

-Ben
    77CDV, bigm57ict and talismandave like this.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

They didn't replace your tailshaft seal at the output of the trans? Check your drive shaft input yoke for wear. If you have a groove worn into it, it may not allow it to seal. Time to replace the yoke.
    The urethane replacement end link bushings will help stiffen your front end from twisting in the corners. Several manufacturers produce these and there is little difference in quality across the board. They will last longer than the standard rubber bushings too.
    Benzilla likes this.

I'm not sure if they replaced the tailshaft seal or not. I'll investigate more the next time I'm under there. Didn't really get a good look at it before.

I need some Quadrajet fine-tuning advice.. Ever since I rebuilt & installed the federal 1978 carb, when the engine is cold & warming up, it has a part-throttle flat spot until you accelerate harder. After it warms up fully, it's very responsive! I always wait for it to come down off of high idle (takes a little over three minutes) but after that it still has a massive flat spot when you accelerate, for the first several minutes of driving. It behaves the same way whether you're accelerating from a dead stop, or accelerating while the car is already rolling at speed, and shakes /doesn't build rpm until you give it more throttle.

The front and rear vacuum breaks are adjusted to factory specs & working, choke rod too (along with all other settings outlined in the service manual). I originally had the choke coil set to factory spec (two notches to the rich side). I adjusted it towards "lean" because I was smelling gas momentarily after the car had warmed up for a couple minutes, so I thought it was holding the choke closed too long & over enriching the mixture. This didn't seem to change the flat spot.

I discovered a while back that I had both of the vacuum breaks adjusted to leave the butterfly valve too far open, and adjusted them to spec. This unfortunately didn't seem to affect the problem either, which surprised me.

I'm a bit tired, my apologizes if I've left out any important info. Just wanted to post & see if anyone might mention something that's escaped me.

I love my carburetor when the car is warm, but before that... lets just say I had better not pull out in front of anyone!

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

my 87 does the same thing. I'm not sure what the problem is, I've just lived with it. I'd be interested to hear from the experts on this as well!

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

A dead spot on carb usually indicates a LEAN condition. You may want to go the other way on choke settings.
    I would check your base timing and that unit has a vacuum adavance I believe. If the timing is out of whack, you may have your idle speed adjustment up far enough that it doesn't suck fuel out of the idle slots good enough.
    Since it runs perfect when warm it also has to be a choke issue, possible acc pump isn't squirting enough quick enough also.

Many year ago I had a truck with massive dead spot, always though rich condition, plugs showed rich even. Turned out it simply wasn't getting enough fuel off idle.

I had the choke coil set towards lean because when it's adjusted to the factory setting, it literally keeps the car in high idle for seven minutes in 50 degree weather... And then it still feels a bit flat after I drive away. I'm convinced the only reason it makes any difference is because the engine warms up so long.

Timing is set, vacuum advance working too. You may be right about the accelerator pump. Not sure hot to test that theory without just replacing it though.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I have found that the choke breaks sometimes contribute to these types of problems. In the SM It states that the dashpots should hold vacuum for a specific period of time and different rates on each one. On one of my rebuilds, I took the time to check this and replaced those that did not hold vacuum for the time listed. Result = My best rebuild ever. It takes time and patience to go through the tuning process, and I think I repeated the process 3 times on that car, with the results showing improvement each time. I got 16 mpg on that rebop also, which made me very happy.
    77CDV likes this.

Still fiddling with the carburetor. However I'm beginning to think that it may be the accelerator pump binding a little when it's cold as rodnok01 suggested. Reason being: Yesterday I let it warm up for at least 5 minutes while I was washing off pollen, and when I drove away, it still felt really flat for a few blocks, then cleared right up. So the amount it warms up before driving doesn't seem to change the flat spot very much. Maybe the plunger jams until it gets worked several times & works itself out? I replaced it during the rebuild last year... I just assume the one that came in the kit is ethanol compatible. I think the ring gasket is black. Front & rear vacuum breaks were both replaced too.

Finally got around to replacing a shot rocker cover gasket a couple days ago. This is the first time in eight years I've had a rocker cover off. My findings: shit, its dirty in there! I expected as much, but how dirty is too dirty?

I decided to leave the original paint alone instead of stripping them like originally planned. This paint is in better condition than some I've seen on cars with half this many miles on them. Figured it would be nicer to have a decent looking original engine compartment than a shiny one that looks like its hiding something.

I still have the original oil filler cap, this one is on because one time I topped off the oil, forgot to put the cap back on, and drove away... I thought the old one was long gone, so I got this chrome one at a parts store. Then a year later my shop found my original cap sitting somewhere under the hood waiting for me when the car was in for an alignment or something. But the old one's gasket is very worn out, so I just kept this one on.

Here's the cover after I cleaned it up as much as I could, with the new gasket in place. I ran a bead of RTV sealant around the sealing edge to paste it on & keep it in place. Threaded the bolts in backwards to hold it in position.

Next is the other side. So what do ya'll think of my filthy engine?
    77CDV likes this.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

That's about typical for a 70'S engine, didn't catch the mileage but if it's 100k+ that actually not bad. Build up will happen.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.