Project thread: 1979 Coupe DeVille Phaeton (a thread 7 years in the making... kinda) - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Project thread: 1979 Coupe DeVille Phaeton (a thread 7 years in the making... kinda) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My understanding is the mirror, itself, is standard. It's the remote control (joystick and cable) that you're paying $46 for. ...
    bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Re: Project thread: 1979 Coupe DeVille Phaeton (a thread 7 years in the making... kin

My understanding is the mirror, itself, is standard. It's the remote control (joystick and cable) that you're paying $46 for. There was also an optional electric remote for the passenger side mirror.

That said, I used to have a '78 Buick LeSabre that had no passenger side mirror at all.

----------

What really gets me is the price of that grill!

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: Project thread: 1979 Coupe DeVille Phaeton (a thread 7 years in the making... kin

Check these links for frt bumper reinforcement, looks like it is #14
    http://www.cadillacville.com/default...7-9DeVille.htm
    http://www.cadillacville.com/default...7-9DFrBmpr.jpg

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    Hey it was delivered in Beverly Hills, that could have been a set of gold teeth for the owner!

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    The automatic door locks work when you're seated in the drivers seat doors closed and move shift selector from P to D and doors would lock
    They can be manually unlocked to exit vehicle, let's say a passenger. He or she would unlock door and when closed it'll lock it self. Of course youd had to be seated in the driver's side. There's a switch on the driver's seat. Since your seats had been redone, perhaps the switch is unplugged or faulty. I'll check my manual for the other related switches and hopefully yours will work..
    My old 80 brougham coupe had this installed, was pretty cool to have.
    The heavy duty system probably consisted of a bigger radiator or more rows across to help cool it. I'm sure someone here will chime in on this.
    That front bumper reinforcement has me wondering what it could be...and for $9
    I forgot / didn't know about the switch in the seat! Let me get this straight, if a passenger flicked the lock switch to get out, the car would also know once they exit, and relock the door again? Fascinating... My parents 2000 DHS has auto locks, but it only locks when shifting into drive / unlock in park IIRC.

This might explain a "twitch" it has, where sometimes if you hit the 'unlock' button, it will keep unlocking the doors on it's own for a few minutes. Even if you push the lock button down, it might just pop right back up again, lol. Only does that randomly, and never tries to lock the doors, just unlock. I'll have a look through the service manual & see if I can get a diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    My understanding is the mirror, itself, is standard. It's the remote control (joystick and cable) that you're paying $46 for. There was also an optional electric remote for the passenger side mirror.

That said, I used to have a '78 Buick LeSabre that had no passenger side mirror at all.

----------

One would think... But here's three of the cars I was talking about. I don't think the electronic remote was available yet in 1979, I could be wrong though. To me it just looks silly missing a mirror. Function aside, I'd order one just to be symmetrical!

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    That's what I thought of when I read that... but I don't know how that would be considered optional. It looks pretty necessary, lol!

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Maybe they made it optional(but included in every car) to save weight for mileage or something stupid like that. I would say I would want that option also or it would be a soda can for a bumper.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Those caddies sure look odd without the passenger side mirror. Both my 78 and 79 coupe have them..
    If you're going to get one to be symmetrical, you'll have to measure and drill holes and not to mention remove door panel, glove box lining, remove dash bezel just to route the cable. It's a pain in the you know where to remove it, I can imagine the same can be said installing it.
    Here's what I found for automatic door locks...
    Automatic door locks operate in the same way as the normal power door locks when door lock switches are pressed
    The circuit locks the doors automatically when the driver is seated, all doors locked and gear selector in D. The automatic door lock controller
    senses the transmission gear switch is closed and all door jambs switches are open (courtesy lights off) the controller the allows current
    to flow thru the closed driver seat switch to lock doors thru the door lock relay assembly.
    While in drive with all doors locked each door can be manullay unlocked or all can be electrically unlocked to let someone get out. All doors will
    automatically relock when the door is closed.
    When the gear selector is moved to park the drivers door automatically unlocks. All of other doors will unlock if either inside door handle switch
    is closed by moving the handle.
    Here's pic of componet locations..this is off my 80 electrical troubleshooting manual-hope this helps..
    Benzilla likes this.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Later electric mirrors save all the cable troubles. IIRC '86 and up have them.
    Benzilla likes this.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Diagram off my book

Hope this helps
    Benzilla likes this.

Well, the Phaeton is back home again. Turns out it was indeed the torque converter. Not so bad... but the next day, they called me back to say that when the turque converter went out (my words here); it shredded itself into a whirling cluster of sparkly metallic death shards, and distributed itself freely throughout the entire transmission... Meaning, I had to have the trans dropped & completely cleaned out, new torque converter, gaskets, flush & filter. $925 later, I should hopefully be trans-trouble free for a very, very long time. When I picked it up, I dropped my '90 Brougham off to have it's new master cylinder replaced under warranty, because a month after installation, it starting leaking fluid around the booster. Oy, so much brake problems between these two cars, I don't believe it.

So next I'll get back to the Phaeton's brake leak. Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'll install the new cap & gasket on the master cylinder. If that doesn't fix the leak, I suppose I'll try to smooth the top of the casting & flush the system.

Here's a shot from the trip home... sitting next to a copy-cat Lincoln. So glad to have it back!

77CDV, bigm57ict and talismandave like this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Glad you got it it sorted out, Ben. Let the work continue!

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

The car is really looking great. My 69 also has no passenger side mirror and it freaks me out every time I try to back it up.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I am not sure, but the passenger door without the outside rear view mirror may not have the reinforcement for the mirror welded to the door. I only have one Coupe without the left door rear view mirror and I can't get to in at this time. All my Broughams and DeVilles had that mirror.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

From what I read the doors are OK to support the mirror. It was a dealer bolt on option (atleast in 69?).

Again, that's just what I read and haven't been able to verify it. If i were home I could just go out to the garage and check but alas I'm stuck at work. lol

So, about the master cylinder... I bought the new cap before the car went into the garage for the trans, but by the time the cap was delivered, the car was in the shop, so I didn't get a chance to compare the caps until today. It turns out that it's not just the gasket style that's an oddball... the whole damn master cylinder is an oddball. Tried to put the new cap on, and the shape is different. I had my Dad go out & measure the master cylinder on Denice, so I could see if the cap was incorrect, or if the master was.. His original master cylinder on Denice ('79 CDV) is 5-5/8 long... My remanufactured Bendix is 5-7/8 long, and rounds at the rear of the casting more than the original rectangle shape.

New (correct for this car) cap on top, oddball Bendix junk on the bottom.

So it's the wrong master cylinder for my car, apparently. Has anyone seen one like this? With the measurements I have now, I can't even FIND a cap to fit this weird thing. I bought it with a booster. Is there any way to check if either are correct for the car? Now my initial reaction is to rip the whole thing out, throw it away, and buy a (HOPEFULLY) correct one this time. That's what being in a rush will get you, kids.

The guy who installed the master & booster said he had a hell of a time getting them on... now I wonder if that's because it's not supposed to fit, lol.

I've also had issues where sometimes the brake pedal has more travel than others. Like, in the course of a drive, sometimes the brakes are right there, others I have to press much farther before I get braking action, and the pedal feels spongy. I've had the lines bled more times than I can remember, but maybe there's still air in there? I've never bled them myself, due to the fact that I suck.

Ben

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Sounds like you have the wrong part on the car. Tell the guy who installed it you want it replaced with the correct part, or you want a refund.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.