1968 Deville wheel replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1968 Deville wheel replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all. I have 2 wheels that are untrue - past the tolerance of normal spec. I have the original ...
    jukelemon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Deville Convertible

1968 Deville wheel replacement

Hi all.

I have 2 wheels that are untrue - past the tolerance of normal spec.

I have the original hubcaps on this car and I would really like to keep them.

Do you know of any steel wheels (Cadillac or other make) that I could use as replacements AND that I could fit my stock hubcaps?

Thanks all.

Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: 1968 Deville wheel replacement

Any 15" steel wheel off any RWD GM car from 1968 on should work.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Let me be more specific.....any C body (98/ electra/ park avenue/ bonneville) or B body wagon (NOT b body sedans).

Perfect. Thank you.

Hi.

Just to make sure..

I have found these

https://www.wheelsandcaps.com/p-2353...-15x6-937.aspx

They are for a 1982 Cadillac Deville which is a RWD post 68 car.

Will these work with mu hubcaps/current tires etc?

Just want to make sure before I spend the money.

Thanks all.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Don't see why they wouldn't.

Can anyone else confirm? I would hate to spend the money and they not fit.

Thanks.

cadillac_al is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Why not buy one to be sure? Then you can buy the other 3 if you are satisfied. I used to think the old Cadillac wheels were different than the other GM wheels but now I'm not so sure. I always thought the outer lip that the hubcap attaches to was wider on the old Caddy rims but I have seen some newer rims that seem to have a wide lip on them too. I used to have a hard time keeping my hubcaps on my '70 Deville. I owned several Oldsmobiles at the time and my hubcaps definitely wouldn't stay on those wheels. Some of the 80's wheels I have kicking around here seem to have a wide lip on them so I really don't know any more. This will let us all know once and for all, so let us know if they work with your hubcaps. My advice, buy one and test it.

And your Olds comment is what worries me.

That 937 wheel above is ALSO designated for 1971 Old 98 which according to Cadillac Kevin should work. Maybe you had a different model Olds then what was mentioned? I don't know. I don't have 65.00 to gamble though so it would be nice to be 100% sure if possible.

I dunno, that website is kinda half ass. It tells me these wheels only fit 82-84 Devilles and only 1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88. If they can't get their website sorted out how do they know what wheel will fit anything? Maybe you will have to call them and talk to a live person to see if they know what they are doing. Then you can ask if their wheels will fit a 68 Caddy and if they guarantee fitment. Then you would just have to pay return shipping on one wheel if it didn't work. There must be a better organized wheel company out there.

Maybe if you put a wanted ad on craigslist somebody near you may have a set in storage. I see a lot of old Caddys with big dorky wheels nowadays so there must be a lot of stock wheels gathering dust somewhere.

I agree. But then again I have read posts that say our steel wheels are really not that special i.e. they were used on a lot of cars in all of the GM lines.

I can get a set of 68 caddy wheels pretty easily but they are used....I was hoping to buy new/remanufactured you know?

I think calling is a good idea. I will do so tomorrow.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
    Why not buy one to be sure? Then you can buy the other 3 if you are satisfied. I used to think the old Cadillac wheels were different than the other GM wheels but now I'm not so sure. I always thought the outer lip that the hubcap attaches to was wider on the old Caddy rims but I have seen some newer rims that seem to have a wide lip on them too. I used to have a hard time keeping my hubcaps on my '70 Deville. I owned several Oldsmobiles at the time and my hubcaps definitely wouldn't stay on those wheels. Some of the 80's wheels I have kicking around here seem to have a wide lip on them so I really don't know any more. This will let us all know once and for all, so let us know if they work with your hubcaps. My advice, buy one and test it.
    My lesabres rims have a wide lip (for the factory wire baskets). I wonder if maybe it depended on the type of hubcap? (I have no evidence to back this up, but maybe they did?) I know lesabre wire baskets will fit on my caddy and vice versa, but I wonder if you got the plainer hubcaps if the rims had a different lip?

Are Lesabre wire wheel baskets the same as what I call the standard locking spoked hubcap? The locking spoked hubcaps on my 82 Ninety Eight clamped lightly to the inside of the rim and not the thin outer lip like 70 and earlier Caddys. That must be why GM changed hubcaps at some point because that outer lip isn't the best way to secure a hubcap. If I remember correctly, I think my 77 Fleetwood hubcaps attach to that outer lip and that got me looking at those wheels more closely again.

OK I just went outside to look at my 77 Fleetwood and my hubcaps are MIA (which has me pissed) but looking at the rims it is easy to tell the difference in that outer lip. I have Olds rims on the front of it and the lip is about 1/4 inch narrower than the Caddy rims on the rear. I don't know if it would show up very well in a photo but I may try to take some pics soon if it will help clear up some confusion from time to time. I was supposed to be driving that Fleetwood right now but I got so far behind on other projects this summer and fall that I couldn't get to it, so I may not get time to take any pics either.

I now stand by my original information, that the older Caddy wheels are different than Olds and Chevy truck wheels. You better call them to be sure before ordering. Tomorrow is the last day of my chevy truck project, that is 2 months behind, and I plan to take some pics of that so I just may get some pics of those Caddy wheels too.

sams2100 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 DeVille Conv, 1999 DeVille, 2003 Escalade

I'm also on the lookout for some 68 steel wheels. I have been shopping around and I have seen people mention that certain ones will only work on the 68 if it has disc brakes. Is there really a difference in wheel if you have disc vs drum brakes on your car?

Quote Originally Posted by sams2100 View Post
    I'm also on the lookout for some 68 steel wheels. I have been shopping around and I have seen people mention that certain ones will only work on the 68 if it has disc brakes. Is there really a difference in wheel if you have disc vs drum brakes on your car?
    Hi. I know in general this is true. The disk type wheel is different on the back side to accommodate a caliper as opposed to a drum.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.