Hot Rod Brougham! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Hot Rod Brougham! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Katshot That is strange. Just for fun, have you ever looked to see what the final drive ...
    toomanytoyz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS

Re: Hot Rod Brougham!

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    That is strange. Just for fun, have you ever looked to see what the final drive ratio is for the 6-speed Corvette and F-body cars? I get what you mean about the 4.56's being "Okay" in 6th since you have tall 6th gear but I would think your 1st gear is gonna be like a granny gear on a truck.
    Well, IIRC, the Camaros got a 3.42 with a 4l60 and a 3.23 with a T56, but I may have that backwards.

But you gotta keep in mind, my car weighs over 1000 pounds more than an F-body.

And I don't really think it'd be a granny gear, per se. It'd be a short trip through 1st, but not unbelievably steep. Right now I think I can get 35 or so MPH out of 1st. I never really look at the speedo when I'm driving aggressively though. Usually looking at the track/road and tach. I would assume I'd lose, 5, maybe 10mph most in 1st gear under heavy acceleration. Besides, in normal driving, I'm in usually 4th by 30-35 anyways. 1st just gets you moving.

It sure will be nice to not do the 6th - 5th - 6th - 5th - 6th shuffle round 60 mph.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre
    For some reason your Cadillac reminds me of mine

Which I can't get pictures up of right now for some reason

Ultra Slow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thanks for the welcomes and info guys! I did not think there were that many cadillac hot rodders out there. Glad to see the LT1 Brougham has a good following wiht some very nice mods on many cars. I appreciate the inof on the OBDII LT1- Edit. That looks like the route I need to go on my Brougham to eliminate the top speed limiter, that gets hit quite often by the way. I have been kicking the SS wheels around for about a year and keep saying "nah" but after looking at you guys cars with the wheels and differnt caps on them, I am on my way!

Does anyone know if there is a better tire to run on the car than the 255 50 17 as far as sidewall height? I do not want to lower this car and I know the SS tire will leave fenderwell gap. I would like to say with a 28" tall tire like as the 235 70 15 that these things unfortunatly use. Any info on a good size to tun that looks correct on stock height car would be appreciated.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I run a 255/55-17. It rides nice, handles well, and doesn't look too low profile. Obviously there's very little difference between a 255/50-17 and mine but sometimes little things make the difference.
    Same thing with my center caps. They are only center caps but the hours of work on them paid off I think. I never really liked the Impala SS wheels but the big contrasting color Cadillac centers made a huge difference and now I like the wheels. Details, details.

Mad'lac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe

Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoyz
    Now that's a sweet ride, man!!!

What brand and style are those rims? They would be perfect for "Texas winter" driving.

Ultra Slow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Looks good and the work you did on you centercaps was enough for me to go find some SS wheels after a year of saying no! Cant wait to do it! About had it with these damn "nail gard" tires on this car.. They are the biggest weakness but what do you do as black walls on the factory wheels look awful. Thanks for the ideal on the 255/55 17. They seem to be about the same height as the 235 70 tires. Any brand recommendations on that size?

The 80 500CID Brougham has 15x8 Cragar star wires and Vouge Wide Track 235 70 15's . I really am not that big on the look with the tire, but in order to keep the sleeper appearance and still have a moderatly decent tire, thats what I ended up with. I also used that cragar wire as it is one of the few "strong" wire wheels. Knocking over 600 ft lbs of torque through most wire wheels will spin them out, but these seem to be good and are used on many hot rod applications. They were also the only 8" wide wire that did not have that "low rider" look and kept in somewhate appearance with the original factory "appliance" wire wheels that you could get on these cars. I'll take some better phtos of that car soon and put on my site as it really is quite interesting and the 500 project is rather new to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    I run a 255/55-17. It rides nice, handles well, and doesn't look too low profile. Obviously there's very little difference between a 255/50-17 and mine but sometimes little things make the difference.
    Same thing with my center caps. They are only center caps but the hours of work on them paid off I think. I never really liked the Impala SS wheels but the big contrasting color Cadillac centers made a huge difference and now I like the wheels. Details, details.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.