1984 Sedan Deville problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bigm57ict
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 Sedan Deville problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My transmission recently went out car wont reverse when pressing gas on reverese ir just revs when going on drive ...
    dmuny is offline Cadillac Owners Member

1984 Sedan Deville problems

My transmission recently went out car wont reverse when pressing gas on reverese ir just revs when going on drive it gets stuck on 20mph i let go of gas thenswitches gear and gets stuck at 30 now.... I found a transmission for 150 off a 84 fleetwood de elegance will it fit the 84 sedan deville is it compatible? And my ac only blows now when im driving the car on idle no air comes out at all unless driving it and grom the bottom at that but its still icy cold help me im a young 21 year old and not planning on selling this car anytime soon thanx guyd last time i had troible i came to yall and got it done!!!!

Cadillacin from houston tx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: 1984 cadillac sedan deville problems

Tranny will fit just fine, direct bolt in. No air at idle sounds like maybe an idle load compensator. Air on floor only could be a blend door motor not directing air or maybe your HVAC head unit.

Csbuckn ur the one that helped me last time appreciate that edm worked just fine where is the idle load compensator located at

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

I'm having a tough time making it through your post. But from what I gather, the blower motor is not pushing air when your not moving? But when you start driving and it does push air, it only comes from the floor vents? Sounds to me like there is a vacuum problem if it only comes from the floor, but I'm sure someone here would be able to confirm/deny that.
    Are you sure that the blower motor is working when your driving, or could air be forcing it's way through the system due to your motion?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Actually, I think j2 is on the right track with checking vacuum lines because the idle load compensator and hvac system rely on vacuum to work correctly. I'm not sure where an idle load compensator would be on the 4100 but I would start with checking all the vacuum lines.

Re: 1984 Sedan Deville problems

Yea air is on coming when i press the gas in motion im pretty sure its working because i dont have to be going fast and its cold at that ill check the vacuum lines then and go from there....the trick i used to do was put the temperature up the. But it all the way down to 60 and it would change to the vents on top

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

21 and can't form a legible sentence! I'll bite my 66 year old lip.

Lol that's what's good about the the Internet! U don't need correct grammar, you sound like my 69 year old English teacher but I will bite my 23 year old lip -_-

Thinking of rebuilding the ht4100 (talk shit here) because I would like to keep it original.....but definitely thinking of an engine swap with all the problems I have had. Anybody have any good mechanic spots they can refer me in houston?

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by dmuny View Post
    Lol that's what's good about the the Internet! U don't need correct grammar, you sound like my 69 year old English teacher but I will bite my 23 year old lip -_-
    2 1/2 years for the comeback. That's gotta be some kind of record

Did you get your vacuum issues sorted out?
    carnut and talismandave like this.

larryinalabama is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe

Edit didn't realize the thread is 3 years old.

No I gave up on it. I haven't messed with it. the gas tank started leaking. I just ordered it Monday going to change that first and flush liquids.

limo1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1985 Fleetwood 75

Vents going to floor during AC is not correct should come out the front. to test put your car into diagnostics by hold down climate control buttons OFF and WARM Red button same time for about 5 seconds or until all your displays go to 888
    you will then see codes then finally a 7.0 this is like a command prompt waiting for input. now press the outside temp button you should see an F.80 this is the BCM diagnostics and can test the conditioning unit. now you should be able to step through the display try pressing fan high or fan low to step to next display. go down to the P.2.1 this will display the motor temp if you do all this before start car all temp sensors should be same at ambient. if the motor temp show -40 at ambient you have a sender problem. this will also cause your AC system not to work. go to next P.2.5 this is in car ambient then P.2.6 this is outside temp then 2.7 thin is compressor high side liquid line then 2.8 this is the evaporator temp.
    if all these temps are ambient before you started the car then senders are working good.
    Now when car running you should be able to do the diagnostics above but after the F.8.0 you can press the blue cooler or red warmer and step from 100 down to 0 this will override climate control and go from max heat to max cool.
    during the number decrees form 100 down to 0 as you go down you will notice the heat and blower go slower then about 40 the vents flip to forward and start blowing cool and fans speed increases. if all this works then the HVAC is working good. if not trouble shoot the programmer under dash with all the vacuum tubes. could be a cold solder joint on actuators.
    Gas tank when drop tank remove the fuel pump replace it and check for the connections and replace the rubber tube with special fuel immersion type not standard fuel line. also change the strainer look in tank and see if the plastic baffle tank is still good or cracked. there is also a check valve. if this broken and you going down hill with low fuel you may run out as all the fuel leaves the small tank. lots work to drop tank so fix the fuel pump even if not a problem it will be.
    Now you say only seems to work during driving is this the 4.1 motor do you happen to have a vacuum pump under front fender just forward driver wheel. I think these 4.1 had so littler vacuum at idle they needed external vacuum pump.
    does it work is it there if so do you hear it working or has the fuse been pulled. if low vacuum the vents will flip to defrost. I think it is more safety for power brakes during coast down to stop to assist power brake booster.

15. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.