95 fleetwood VATS problem.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 95 fleetwood VATS problem. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 95 Fleetwood that doesn't start. I know theres a problem with the VATS so I bought a ...
    rydah is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Fleetwood Brougham

95 fleetwood VATS problem.

I have a 95 Fleetwood that doesn't start. I know theres a problem with the VATS so I bought a VATS bypass module from ebay. i'm not sure if I can say the name of the place. its a black box with a light in the middle and has 3 wires coming out of it, one wire is red and says ignition (12volts), blue wire says VATS fuel enable circuit 229, and other wire is black going to ground. has anybody ever used this type of bypass module and if so can you point me in the right direction on wiring this to my car. thanks for any help or advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacPimpinNOLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille

Re: 95 fleetwood VATS problem.

all you need is to take an ohm meter and test the chip value in the key, there are 15 different values...once you get that value, you then go to a stereo shop, they will prolly give you the resistor...locate the orange coated sleeve under the dash going up the column, inside will be purple or white wires, unplug it and the section going away from the column, patch teh 2 wires with the resistor...your done and whoever you bought the bypass module or whatever you bought, got over on you

hahahahaha, I thought that the bypass module sucked, I just wanted to chance it. I also have the correct resistor that I will install. thanks brah.

i just installed the #4 resistor to the 2 white wires inside of the orange housing and still my car doesn't start. the search continues.

make sure you have the correct resistor and you install it on the two wires going into the dash, not up the column.

heres the values

VATS # (K)OHMS (Set your meter to the 20k ohm setting)

1———— 0.402
    2———— 0.523
    3———— 0.681
    4————-0.887
    5————-1.130
    6————-1.470
    7————-1.870
    8————-2.370
    9————-3.010
    10————3.740
    11————4.750
    12————6.040
    13————7.500
    14————9.530
    15————11.801

possibly the chip in the key may be bad and giving you an incorrect reading...you can goto a dealership and give them all your info on the vehicle with proof of ownership and they should be able to get the correct value for you
    Cadillacboy likes this.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Just for sayin' you can change VATS values even deactivate it by using Tech II as far as I know ,hopefully yours is just a niggling glitch

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

It's pretty finicky. I don't know if it's an indication of the lock cylinder failing or what, but I went through the trouble of measuring the resistance and ordering a spare key for my car. It worked for about a year but now it trips the "VATS" light and won't allow the car to start. My original key still works though. I haven't investigated further, but I just don't use the spare key anymore.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

There is a thin wire inside of the ignition lock cylinder which moves every time you turn the key. That wire eventually can break. That's when a correct bypass resistor helps. But I noticed here maybe problems with the module itself. I keep a correct resistor in the glove box just in case.

o.k. I think I did it wrong then. I disconnected the 2 white wires and soldered the resistor between them. when I plugged it back into the connection the car didn't start. what wires should I solder the resistor too.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

thanks for the vid, i'll have to watch it another 10 times to fully understand it, hopefully I can get the car started this weekend.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacPimpinNOLA View Post
    all you need is to take an ohm meter and test the chip value in the key, there are 15 different values...once you get that value, you then go to a stereo shop, they will prolly give you the resistor...locate the orange coated sleeve under the dash going up the column, inside will be purple or white wires, unplug it and the section going away from the column, patch teh 2 wires with the resistor...your done and whoever you bought the bypass module or whatever you bought, got over on you
    It depends on how they tried to sell it. Usually those bypass modules are for adding remote start without disabling the system.

I just did the resistor trick and nothing. I did just what this guy did in this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g4_dI8J1CU, and now I am at a total loss of what else I need to do.

i didnt watch the video so i dont know how or what he done. here is a crude sketchup i done...this pretty much sums up everything to do. ive done several including my own for my remote start and never encountered any issues...like i said earlier make sure 100% you are getting the right value of the chip, have an audioshop installer check it and get a second opinion to to make sure. also test the resistor you get and make sure it reads what it is supposed to read.

thanks for the drawing. your drawing is pretty much the same as the video. i did mines the same way as your drawing. also when i ohm'd the chip in my key i got 882 and i ordered the GM resister kit that comes with 15 diff values. the one i used was the number 4. i even tried the number 5 just to see and that didn't even work. something else must be wrong with my car. it had all the problems of VATS going wrong. it would start sometimes, or i would have to switch keys to get the car to start but now it just sits.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.