Questions: 307 Engine Maintenance + Procedures (87 Fleetwood Brougham)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mg-3
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Questions: 307 Engine Maintenance + Procedures (87 Fleetwood Brougham) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, So forgive me on this, I'm really new to engines and cars...I've played guitar for 12 years and ...
    mg-3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham - 5.0 lt. 307 - Sable Black

Questions: 307 Engine Maintenance + Procedures (87 Fleetwood Brougham)

Hi guys,

So forgive me on this, I'm really new to engines and cars...I've played guitar for 12 years
    and it's hard to find a similarity between cars and guitars...
    I mean, they're both heavy magnets...if you get my drift Anyway...

My newly acquired beauty runs the Olds' 307 and I have some really rather simple questions
    (acquiring a manual to get this information would be the best bet but I've seen them
    run a fortune online and simply cannot afford it.
    )

I found two websites that cater to the 307:
    http://performanceolds307.tripod.com/index.html and http://tlentz.oldsgmail.com/more_power.html,
    the latter giving some nice advice on running her right.
    They give plethora of information but I need simple and stupid stuff
    done that is borderline embarrassing to ask, to say the truth.

Tasks and Questions:

1) I want to change the motor oil. Where do I find the the oil drain for the block?
    Is this as simply as locating a lug nut at the bottom of the engine, putting a tray underneath it and letting it flow out?
    Anything special to do when changing oils?
    I picked up this oil - Formula Shell - SAE10W30
    http://www.amazon.com/Products-Pennz.../dp/B003XFVWEM
    ..Good stuff?
    2) Pouring in transmission fluid. To check the level, I followed the instructions in
    the owners manual and from the tests, I'm reading dangerously low transmission fluid.
    I bought a generic fluid that rates Dextron II, IIE, and a few more Dextrons...so that should be good.
    My question is, where do I put this oil in, and how do I make sure I don't pour in excess oil.

I know this is very rudimentary tasks for most of you though you'd be helping me out a lot.
    I seek the experience and knowledge of my fellow Cadillac friends so that my lovely doesn't see a
    junk yard any time soon (because seriously, if I go ahead and do anything on my own whim,
    big no no!)

Thanks in advance for any advice and expertise

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    The oil plug is in the oil pan. Just look for a plug.

As for the trans, are you reading the fluid with the car running? If so, and it is reading low, pull the red dipstick located on the back passengers side of the engine, put a funnel in it, and add fluid until you get to the full mark on the stick (pour some fluid, remove funnel, and check the stick (remember when you check it, to pull it, wipe it with a clean rag (don't get fuzzies on it), then put it back in and check again).

Perfect, that makes a lot of sense...thanks Kevin for all your help!

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Questions: 307 Engine Maintenance + Procedures (87 Fleetwood Brougham)

The manual for your car is less than a tank of gas. A worthwhile investment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-ORIGINA...7c3898&vxp=mtr

shrike77 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham 5.3 Vortec, 4L60E transmission

You can find them for really cheap too. I bought my GM service manual for something like 8-9 bucks plus shipping. Anyways I am pretty sure it was below 20 dollars with shipping.
    Well never mind, I just saw the link to the manual on ebay. I would jump on it. It is really worth it

Today I just did my first oil change.
    After some struggles, wow, it was a good feeling.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    The oil plug is in the oil pan. Just look for a plug.

As for the trans, are you reading the fluid with the car running? If so, and it is reading low, pull the red dipstick located on the back passengers side of the engine, put a funnel in it, and add fluid until you get to the full mark on the stick (pour some fluid, remove funnel, and check the stick (remember when you check it, to pull it, wipe it with a clean rag (don't get fuzzies on it), then put it back in and check again).
    Thanks Kevin, this helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    The manual for your car is less than a tank of gas. A worthwhile investment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-ORIGINA...7c3898&vxp=mtr
    Right on it jayoldschool, thanks for finding this link. Just a question, will this be good for my 86'? The 87 similar to the 86, engine (Old's 307), etc. etc.?

Guys, I don't know what the last owner did with this car, but man was the oil BLACK! BLACK!!! and the filter on it, I swear it could have been from the factory. I googled' the product name and model (#)and nothing came up lol

I had a problem pulling off the filter (probably didn't oil it up - the last guy) so I almost broke down...persistent and not a giver upper, ended up working under her for a good 4 hours trying different ways. Yup, four hours for an oil change lol
    From dropping large pliers into the oil pan, hockey tape'ing with nice grip (Canadian style) a cylinder sheet metal vice grip (going the extra mile, coating it with sandpaper), nothing worked. I tried hard and thought harder.

Come to Google. the screw driver method. Bingo.

I rammed her right in there, careful of some lines running down there and got her to budge! Success!
    though it didn't come small; oil everywhere, a badly shot up filter, a screwdriver dripping in goo, I screamed in the nights darkness with joy!

Overall, the new filter is looking nice in it's spot. She's running a lot more healthier and not spurting out black smoke from the exhaust anymore. Go figure a simple oil change goes so far!

Thanks again ya'll...
    pics tomorrow when the suns out.
    talismandave likes this.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If it was that bad, I'd change the oil again in ~500 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    If it was that bad, I'd change the oil again in ~500 miles.
    This.....that sounds like a neglected motor

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Any RWD Brougham service manual from 86-89 should take care of anything you need. Give it a week, you'll find the one you need, cheap. If you're in Canada, make sure they ship USPS (not UPS/FedEx).

Congrats on the first work! It will get easier, I promise. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The only stupid question is one that isn't asked. No matter what you need help with, someone here will have dealt with the same issue.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by mg-3 View Post
    Today I just did my first oil change.
    After some struggles, wow, it was a good feeling.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Thanks Kevin, this helped a lot.

Right on it jayoldschool, thanks for finding this link. Just a question, will this be good for my 86'? The 87 similar to the 86, engine (Old's 307), etc. etc.?

Guys, I don't know what the last owner did with this car, but man was the oil BLACK! BLACK!!! and the filter on it, I swear it could have been from the factory. I googled' the product name and model (#)and nothing came up lol

I had a problem pulling off the filter (probably didn't oil it up - the last guy) so I almost broke down...persistent and not a giver upper, ended up working under her for a good 4 hours trying different ways. Yup, four hours for an oil change lol
    From dropping large pliers into the oil pan, hockey tape'ing with nice grip (Canadian style) a cylinder sheet metal vice grip (going the extra mile, coating it with sandpaper), nothing worked. I tried hard and thought harder.

Come to Google. the screw driver method. Bingo.

I rammed her right in there, careful of some lines running down there and got her to budge! Success!
    though it didn't come small; oil everywhere, a badly shot up filter, a screwdriver dripping in goo, I screamed in the nights darkness with joy!

Overall, the new filter is looking nice in it's spot. She's running a lot more healthier and not spurting out black smoke from the exhaust anymore. Go figure a simple oil change goes so far!

Thanks again ya'll...
    pics tomorrow when the suns out.
    I was going to suggest the screwdriver method. Sometimes that is the only way that you can get enough leverage to get it off.
    My brougham was the same way with oil when I first got it. I changed it a few times since and it gets less black each time and stays cleaner longer now. I used Royal purple products for it the last time I changed it.
    When you get the service manual, check out the smog equipment areas. You will likely need to replace the PCV valve and filter. Maybe a few other things too. That will get rid of a lot of the black smoke. The smog stuff on these engines has to be looked after because it gets the engine dirty otherwise.
    Lastly, check the ALDL for engine codes (how to do it is on a sticky here) that might still be in there. It will at least give you an idea what might have been done. If it comes back clean with no codes then even better.

gplesh99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Fleetwood Brougham

Be sure you run the tranny thru all the gears first, before checking the fluid. Have to pump up all those servos in there first.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

What I learned from my time with the Olds 307:

Step 1: Keep oil in it.
    Step 2: Keep coolant in it.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Indestructible motor.

Maybe not THAT indestructible, but the sheer willingness of this engine to run is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    What I learned from my time with the Olds 307:

Step 1: Keep oil in it.
    Step 2: Keep coolant in it.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Indestructible motor.

Maybe not THAT indestructible, but the sheer willingness of this engine to run is impressive.
    Step 3: don't get broadsided or it will blow a HG.

I will say, on its final run, my 307 may have smoked alot (from the underside of the car) and lost almost all power, but it was still quiet and smooth. I remember when the 301 blew in dads catalina wagon, and the 3300 went out in the cutlass mini wagon, and neither was quiet nor smooth.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.