suspension springs and shocks question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, suspension springs and shocks question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; HI, been a while.... I also posted this on Impalassforum I`d like to have your opinion on the springs and ...
    shrike77 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham 5.3 Vortec, 4L60E transmission

suspension springs and shocks question

HI, been a while....
    I also posted this on Impalassforum
    I`d like to have your opinion on the springs and shocks I`d like to get for my car.
    First I will start by saying that I searched the whole day on the web and I looked at the Moog spring chart until I went cross eyed.

Also a few things to explain my situation.
    The car is a 1987 Cadillac Brougham with a 4.8 Vortec and a 4L60E transmission from a 2WD truck in it. When I put the engine in I had to change the pinion angle so the nose of the differential is closer to the body of the car by about 3/4 of an inch. I am considering this as if the car is lower by 3/4 an inch when I am trying to figure out the height of the car.

Another important thing to mention is that I`d like to keep my ride height stock because all of the potholes we have around here (Montreal, Quebec).

I`d like to have a firmer ride without it being to harsh.

So for the front springs I decided to choose the MOOG 80090 with a 710 lbs rate and 11.75 installed height and a 2034 lbs load. The MOOG equivalent for the stock car was (according to rockauto) MOOG5396 with a 389 lbs rate, 12.00in height when installed and 2050 load.

It is the rear springs I am not sure. I`d like to either keep my stock height or even go 1-1.5 in higher to compensate for the differential nose being closer to the body.
    I will also get rid of the air shocks and get either Bilsteins or Gabriels. I have a GM 1.00 in sway bar at the rear.

So according to rockauto I found two MOOG equivalent shocks.
    MOOG 5245 133 lbs rate, 9.00 in installed height and 1060 load
    MOOG CC611 have a 186 lbs rate, 11.50 in installed height and 900 lbs load.

I guess 5245s are for the suspension with the air compressor and the CC611 are for the regular shocks (towing package maybe).
    Since I want to at least keep the original height I think my choices are:
    CC623 - 206 lbs rate, 11.00 in installed height and 865 load
    CC621- 175 lbs rate, 12.75 in installed height and 640 load.
    8543- 197 lbs rate, 10.5 in installed height and 1263 load.
    CC611 -186 lbs rate, 11.5 in installed height and 900 load (this being the equivalent for the original springs)

So I need your help deciding which spring to get for the rear ones. I believe CC springs are progressive ones and the 8543 is the regular one. If I understand correctly even though the progressive springs are listed as higher installed heights they initially get compressed easier.
    I tend to go for the 8543 or stay with the CC611. The CC623 I think might be too stiff, and the CC621 even if it rated higher it might quickly loose the difference.

Last question, which shocks should I get depending on the sprigs (lengthwise)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    My experience, cargo springs are not a good option. You hit a big bump and the recoil is just brutal, I thought I got air once but I was running some old stock air shocks. Bilstiens up front do very well with roll and bounce. I think if you don't mind the ride height of the 8523, that would be my first choice, then the 611s. Rear shocks, some Bilstiens would help control the recoil of a cargo spring.

Re: suspension springs and shocks question

Thanks for your input, I will strongly consider not getting cargo coils then.
    But I am not sure how high the rear would sit with the 8543s. I am not sure how to compare the specs in the chart. I estimate it at about 1 in higher than the springs with the ELC shocks. Anyways I start considering maybe going even a bit higer on the rate on the rear springs, maybe 220ish.

purelux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville
    The cargo coils are progressive I had them on rear of my old 94 crownvic replacing OE ones with about 100k on them. They made no noticeable difference to ride height or comfort. Later on Monroe sensatrac load lifters in rear raised noticeably , defiantly rougher than air shocks or stock espically light loads. What to use in rear depends on how often extra people or cargo is in the car also road conditions. Ideally progressive would be soft then firmer as its compressed, static rate would be the same no matter. Also the shocks dampen not the springs so hard to compare fairly. I had edelbrock IAS on my 98 town car fr&r and front on 94 Vic handled well but still rode smooth why I chose over others (bilstein) my original choice.

Right now I am trying not too have too many people at the back because the springs are too soft and I need to re-modify my rear upper trail arms (the suspension binds right now, my fault). I`ll take care of that this winter when I`ll also swap the springs and the shocks.Roads are pretty bad though. I think towing package Cadillacs have cargo coils.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

For those that haven't been to Montreal... the roads are horrible. The only place I have been that might compare is Detroit. I think Montreal is worse. Quebec has the worst road maintenance of any place I have ever been.

I have Bilstiens on my Caprice wagon, and I drive that through Montreal at least a few times a year. It is rough, but a controlled ride. No bounciness. The Bilstiens will last a long time, too.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Progressive rate springs shouldn't make much of a difference for handling, just support loads better. Stock Caprice 9C1 suspension might be good for what you want. It would be firmer then the Cadillac stuff is.

I read the 9C1 spring rate is about the same as the Impala SS springs but with more travel. I believe rear Impala SS springs are about 150 lbs/in. The CC Moog springs for our cars are 186 lbs/in. I`d like to try a rate around this. For the fronts I`ll probably got with around 700 lbs/in. On Impala`s apparently they make for a nice firm ride and no more bottoming out on the bump stops. I did not buy them yet so I still have more time to think.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

I have Bilstiens on my Caprice wagon, and I drive that through Montreal at least a few times a year. It is rough, but a controlled ride. No bounciness. The Bilstiens will last a long time, too.
    What kind of springs do you have? Are they stock springs? How rough is it? Is it unpleasant?

Thanks

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I have impala springs all the way around, Bilstiens shocks up front and some old Monroes(unknown make/model) in the rear. Like Jay said, the Bilstiens up front are the game changer, no more swaying through corners or harsh bumps. They just do a great job of keeping the whole car together. I'd recommend them to anybody looking to really tighten up the car.

can't wait to get mine, that`s for sure! Even better, can`t wait for spring to drive it with the new shocks and springs...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.