Brougham rear-ended, totaled :(
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Brougham rear-ended, totaled :( in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Last week my 1992 Brougham got rear-ended on the passenger-side by a '94 Acura at about 40mph. I and the ...
    Vladillac Khrougham is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Brougham

Brougham rear-ended, totaled :(

Last week my 1992 Brougham got rear-ended on the passenger-side by a '94 Acura at about 40mph. I and the other driver were ok (his Acura was obviously decimated. The police decided not to issue any citations (poorly designed intersection). It happened in front of Bowditch Collision, part of Bowditch Ford a local dealership chain and a USAA approved (my insurance) collision center. The Brougham could still move under her own power (though not drivable due to the exhaust pipe rammed into the rear wheel-well). My cell was dead and the center let my use theirs to call USAA and luckily they also had an Enterprise rental on premises (covered by my policy). taillight assembly, original bumper filler (had top half of Integra's halogen bulb embedded in the rubber) all smashed, quarter panel bent/kinked, drivers side taillight assembly misaligned, exhaust from the muffler to tailpipe mangled and later they discovered the frame was bent but not "kinked". Got the call today from USAA, the repair estimate was $3,300 they totaled it offering around $2,200 and $1,600 if I want to to keep the car (In Virginia since the car is over 10 years old don't have to alter the title as "salvaged" or "total loss" etc).

Was willing to eat the $1,700 and went to the collision center today to see about fixing it (they said they give insurance work a higher priority) but to check back tomorrow, about maybe just fixing the frame and quarter panel if they have the time (as I can source and repair the bolt on parts) if not would check around some body shops they vouch for.

Anyone have any advice?

Took some pics today:

Side view

Rear view (worse than it looks)

Driver's side, un-hit but whacked outta shape:

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: Brougham rear-ended, totaled :(

I don't know how much you like the 92 body style, but if were me I would take all the money and look for a 95-96 FWB... They have it all over the older ones..

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

It's fixable mine was rear ended back in 01, but on opposite side. They totaled it due to cost to repair was more than value of car.
    But since I happen to have another coupe they paid me for the used parts.
    See if they can do that. You get the parts used vs new. Also, check your frame, it's probably kinked on the part where it goes over rear
    axle. That's why quarter panel is buckled.
    And, I recently sold all these parts you'll need.
    Good luck. Hope you get her fix

Quote Originally Posted by 1980coupe View Post
    It's fixable mine was rear ended back in 01, but on opposite side. They totaled it due to cost to repair was more than value of car.
    But since I happen to have another coupe they paid me for the used parts.
    See if they can do that. You get the parts used vs new. Also, check your frame, it's probably kinked on the part where it goes over rear
    axle. That's why quarter panel is buckled.
    Yeah they said the frame was bent but not "kinked". I have all the parts for a 80-89 (except the quarter panel obviously), but not fo a 90-92 that uses a different chrome bumper extension, taillight bezel and taillight. (sadly I have a good condition original drivers side bumper filler, but no passenger side one. Basically I want them to straighten the frame and quarter panel and would fix the rest.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

I have the rear chrome and tail lights except for the bumper middle if you need them. I can get you some pics. The frame is the worst part, but looks like they should be able to save it. My 90 parts car is in pretty good shape body wise, too bad you're not closer you could swap your frame out for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    I have the rear chrome and tail lights except for the bumper middle if you need them. I can get you some pics. The frame is the worst part, but looks like they should be able to save it. My 90 parts car is in pretty good shape body wise, too bad you're not closer you could swap your frame out for this one.
    The irony is that I was supposed to take her on a roadtrip up to Portland next month.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Pfft! I've seen worse driving around. If you really like this car, get the frame and body straighted and carry on. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    Pfft! I've seen worse driving around. If you really like this car, get the frame and body straighted and carry on. Good luck!
    No way I am letting her go to the crusher.

My Insurance agent: "Can you describe the damage to the other vehicle?"

Me: "Yeah. It looks like a Honda that just hit a full size Cadillac at 40mph"

(I know I said it was an Acura, but structurally the same thing, just like I could have said "full size Oldsmobile" referring to my car)
    77CDV and Jeppi94 like this.

Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

One of the many nice things about a body on frame car is that they are easy to repair in case of a collision like this. Of course keep it, it's a great year and color. Hard to find in that condition unless you're looking for an 93-96 there seems to be more of those around.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

It's more then the 1/4 panel, the whole trunk is twisted with it. You'd need a body shop that really knows what they're doing to fix it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by drmenard View Post
    I don't know how much you like the 92 body style, but if were me I would take all the money and look for a 95-96 FWB... They have it all over the older ones..
    Glad some people feel that way, it leaves more of the nicer ones for the rest of us

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

My car was hit last summer, it was a very similar end result and I got the same quote of $3300 to fix it. I was able to source all the bolt on pieces. Since I was worried that the repainted quarter panel would look so out of place in contrast with the rest of the original paint, I decided to do a full repaint. I stripped the car down of everything (glass, trim, bumpers, fillers, door seals...) and took it to a body shop to pound out the quarter panel, strip the original paint off the whole car, and repaint the car. I then re-assembled the car and replaced the window fuzzies and all the seals while I was at it. It took about 2 months and I probably spent ~500 over what the insurace co. gave me and I couldn't be happier with the car.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Sorry to hear about that incident , the pics you provided don't suggest me that frame or body was bent , it still looks solid given 40 mph hit
    My most designed cars for Cadillac are 1993-96 namely '95-96 but nothing beats taillight design and trunk lid shape of what 1980-92 including Rolls Royce Silver Spur / Dawn / Spirit Series

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

That definitely looks saveable. On the plus side you can get parts pretty easy and cheap for these cars still at the junk yards. It looks like the impact absorbers took most of the hit which should have saved the frame. If the frame is bent at all I bet it's only a little bit because it doesn't even look like those impact absorbers compressed all of the way which is good. The body shop should be able to weld on new rear quarter skin from a rust free donor car a long with some other nice used parts and that car should be good to go. One plus side is these frames were pretty heavy duty so if bent they can be bent straightened.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by Vladillac Khrougham View Post
    Yeah they said the frame was bent but not "kinked". I have all the parts for a 80-89 (except the quarter panel obviously), but not fo a 90-92 that uses a different chrome bumper extension, taillight bezel and taillight. (sadly I have a good condition original drivers side bumper filler, but no passenger side one. Basically I want them to straighten the frame and quarter panel and would fix the rest.
    So change the rear to the newer style!
    We'll never tell....

Jeff R is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Coupe De Ville//Cessna 172

If you like the car (and it appears you do) keep it. You can shop around and maybe find other places to do the work for less. Life's too short to let a car you love go for $1700. Now let me ask, why is your insurance paying for it? If the other car rear ended you, shouldn't they pay? If so can you get more $$ from the other insurance company?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.