Is this a good deal? Used 1972 Sedan Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Is this a good deal? Used 1972 Sedan Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi all, I am looking for a classic Deville and have had my eye on a 1993 Deville. Then I ...
    kissiffer4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Is this a good deal? Used 1972 Sedan Deville

Hi all,

I am looking for a classic Deville and have had my eye on a 1993 Deville. Then I found this one on Craiglist which is a little bit closer to home:

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/4042118097.html

You guys and gals gave me some great advice for the '93 model and I just wondered if this one seemed like a decent deal? Trying to decide at the moment between the two!

Again, any advice much appreciated and thanks for the fantastic site

Cheers,

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Is this a good deal? Used 1972 Cadillac Sedan Deville

I see lots of rust around the backlight, which is $$$ to fix. It's a good bet there's rust in the rear wheel wells, too. You really need to look this car over carefully, in person, paying close attention to the body as well as the car's mechanical condition. Right now, for me, I'd say the price is high. If there was nothing else wrong with it, I'd say half of what he's asking would be the max.
    Garys likes this.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

If the only rust is around the back window and the rest is in good shape it's probably worth somewhere around that price. But even that is hard to tell from those pics. You really need to see what it looks like in person.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I love it in photos. It all depends on how far along the rust is, and what you want it to be. Also on what your abilities are, or willingness to learn is.

Two grand don't buy much of any car, and this is close and may be had for near that. If your desire is a beautifully restored classic, this is probably not the car to start with. If you have to pay others to work on it you will be broke before it is done.

If you are looking to have a really cool car to drive around in, and can do basic bodywork, bondo, fiberglass, etc. and it is not too far gone, the price is not too bad. If it is not a lot worse than the pictures show, and if the car is mechanically sound, and if the mileage is true, I could see this being a good car for you. If there are lots of little things that don't work, windows, door locks, antenna, wipers, those things add up quick if you don't have cheap access to parts. Go over it with a fine tooth comb, and write down everything that needs doing. We can give you an idea of what you are looking at to make it right.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I can't tell anything from those pics, looks ok though. Rust would be the only thing to worry about but you would have to see it in person.

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

looks like a dent and scrape on driver's rear fender right under sail panel. Rear window is missing a trim piece, may be some rust on it but hard to tell because of the vinyl top. Everything else looks great. It's probably worth almost that price in parts alone if the interior is nice.

Go check it out, the worst that'll happen is it won't be as nice as the pics and you'll be back to looking

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

It would help it the pics weren't taken at dusk. If it is that close by, make an appointment to see it in person. Bring a friend to help you look it over. I like that body style, but would have to go over it close-up to close the deal.

kissiffer4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks all! I managed to get a little more info out of him, but no more pics unfortunately. It is all original parts and he did say the only rust is a quarter size area beneath the rear windshield. Not sure how serious that is?

Also, yes, admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about cars. If I could get this for 2k, might it be a good one to learn a few things from? Is it considered a good year for the Deville? Engine-wise etc.

Thanks again!

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Looks good in my book as long as he's honest about the rust.

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

the 472 is one of the best engines you can get. I have one in my 69 and the thing fired up with old gas in it after sitting all winter and most of summer without a start. Great engine.

I think at $2k it would be a decent learning project.

Ditto on the 472, I have owned 4. Great engine. First one I drove and parked in a shed for 5 years with no prep. Put in fresh battery and drove it on to a trailer. The one I am working on now, sat in PO's backyard since 1986. When he sold it to me a year ago, he drove it on the trailer.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Is this a good deal? Used 1972 Sedan Deville

The only prob with the "quarter-sized rust" is that it's usually a harbinger of bigger and nastier things under the vinyl top. Other than that, if it's mechanically sound and you want a play project to learn on, this could be your car.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

If you can get it for $2,000 and it's drivable go for it. People sell them for about half that as complete basket cases.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

My first Cadillac was a 1971 Sedan De Ville, and it was a beautiful car. I'll agree with what everyone else says about rust-really check it out as that era car could rust very badly. And, the motor is amazing. They just run and run. I highly doubt the car has only 40,000 miles on it like the ad says, so check out the obvious stuff like how worn the driver seat is, gas and brake pedals, etc. If it is a true 40k car, that stuff should be nice. Otherwise, it is a 140,000 car, so common stuff for a car with that miles (front end parts, radiator, brake lines) will need to be addressed. But the good news is that parts are dirt cheap for those cars. Good luck, and really check for rust!

The funny thing is, except for a car I intend to turn around and sell, I would rather have it be 140,000! By that point if well cared for, a lot of big things will be done already!.
    77CDV likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.