Please back me up... or disprove me
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Classic L
  • 1 Post By jayoldschool
  • 1 Post By The Ape Man
  • 2 Post By j2rossit
  • 1 Post By Classic L
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Please back me up... or disprove me in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys/gals... If we want to be reputable as a group, we should be the ones correcting these misnomers not ...
    Classic L is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Concours / 88 Broughm D'el / 76 Coupe D'el

Please back me up... or disprove me

Hey guys/gals... If we want to be reputable as a group, we should be the ones correcting these misnomers not makin' em. "Opera lamps" are on the inside of the car. "Coach lights" are on the outside. Most of us have never been to an opera or ridden in a coach. But when you want to read the program and not disturb the other attendees, you have a small non-obtrusive light (depending on where you sit in the opera house). That same style light can be found in the rear seat area of many Cadillacs. It has a small switch, round lens housing and Cadillac emblem. When horse and carriages were a more popular mode of transportation, the more high end carriages had lanterns on the outside. As civilization transitioned from horse and buggy to automobiles, people who made luxury carriages (called coaches) ended up designing luxury cars. They employed many of the same features found in and on their luxury coaches, including... you guessed it.. exterior side lamps, which were/are known as coach lights. One of these luxury carriage makers was named..... (gasp) Brougham! Sorry but it seems the Caddy owners I learned from took Caddies a bit more seriously than your average Caddy owner I guess. But from North Jersey to Southern New England old school Caddy owners from the sixties and seventies will tell you that. ... But if you know differently I'm open to hearing what you know. Thanks, it's really just a pet peeve of mine, no one else probably even cares.
    Faith76 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1980coupe is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

Re: Please back me up... or disprove me

according to my dealer window sticker,, it calls them as opera lights, so opera lights it is

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

See the column on the right side:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Ca...80-Cadillac-13
    1980coupe likes this.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

The guy at the counter at the junk yard with the cigar might have a problem wid dis.
    talismandave likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

By definition Classic L is 100% correct - but he posted the easy out: Who cares ? Advertising takes every form of twist and turn in order to find the best buzzword of the day. Heck - remember when Pontiac stole GTO (Gran Turismo Omologato) from Ferrari ?

http://www.professionalcarsociety.or...read.php?t=845

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Although coach lights seem more sensible according to OP's definition I have never heard of anyone call those lights like that , still opera lights is the winner lol
    I like Classic L's post may be you should be finding how Talisman name existed as well

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

My FSM refers to them as Opera Lamps. The lights inside the car are called "Sail Panel Reading Lamp". For the driver there are "Map Spot Lamps". The door lights are "courtesy lamps". The visors have "Vanity Lamps"
    Cadillacboy and 1980coupe like this.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

I have also heard "map spot lamp"

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

My FSM also refers to the exterior lamps as "Opera Lamps" and the interior light as "Sail Panel Reading Lights."

However, when I checked the bulb chart in my owner's manual, it lists a 756 bulb for the Opera Lamps; the exterior lights have electroluminescent strips, not bulbs. My owners manual list a 912 bulb for the Sail Panel Reading lights, and that seems like it would be too small (the few I've taken apart looked like that had a 756 bulb). This discrepancy could be because the same bulb chart was used every year, and GM/Cadillac didn't update it after they stopped using bulbs in the Opera (coach) lamps.

1980coupe is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

^^^^^Couch lamps, lol ^^^^^

Classic L is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Concours / 88 Broughm D'el / 76 Coupe D'el

Thanks for your comments and likes...
    Welp, like Submariner says, things change with time. The word "bad" used to mean bad, but if someone told you your ride is bad, you would think that meant good. Brougham made coaches long before Cadillac made cars. I've seen manuals and trade publications that would use scientific terms/trade names/ or popular names of the day. Every reciprocating saw is not a Sawzall and every sandwich bag is not a Baggie. But these terms get popularized and used indiscriminately. Just because GM named it differently in their manual doesn't change what it is. That may, however make it easier ordering from the guy with the cigar at the junk yard... but they're coach lights and the little ones on the inside are opera lights. Follow the popular crowd if you want. Textbooks, history books and manuals are full of what best serves the author, publisher or financier. And when they go off the cliff, keep following. I wasn't taking the easy way. But I knew before I wrote it that many people would rather live a popular illusion than an unpopular truth. ...As far as "Talisman", sing a Harry Belafonte song in your head and picture the man who counts and collects the product that the field workers have been laboring to produce all day, then pays them out of a big knotted roll of cash. He's a big man, and best believe he exits the scene in the biggest and best vehicle... and if you don't know Harry Belafonte, or that song, it doesn't surprise me you never heard the term "coach lights" used either. There's more to learn than what's written in books my brothers and sister.... Talk to ya elders, better yet listen to em
    talismandave likes this.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

I'm sticking with opera lights on the outside and reading lights on the inside. You can call them anything you want but it doesn't mean much when people don't know what you're talking about.

Coach lights are more like marker lights anyway.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance
    Everyone needs a hobby, I wish I had too much spare time. I think I will stick with cocktails instead!

Seriously, I feel our group does an excellent job of keeping things tidy and correct here. When B.S. is on display it usually doesn't stand long, and our clean up filter JaySon, our longtime dedicated and distinguished moderator, handles those who need the dunce cap and stool facing the corner.

To me opera lamps and opera lights, inside and or outside are less interesting than contemplating the folks who find it to be such an important worry in the relative briefness of life,

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    Everyone needs a hobby, I wish I had too much spare time. I think I will stick with cocktails instead!
    Well said.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.