Questions about my 1980 Cadillac
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Questions about my 1980 Cadillac in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hello all, I usually never post because most of my questions tend to be answered somewhere along the way. But ...
    804fleetbro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1980 Fleetwood Broham

Questions about my 1980 Cadillac

hello all,

I usually never post because most of my questions tend to be answered somewhere along the way. But I do have a few. 1st question, what would cause black smoke to come out of my tail pipe when I start the car up? it leaves horrible black marks on the concrete behind my parking spot. it seems to be oil but not for sure. 2nd question, is there an easy way to adjust the idle speed. I Know mines runs at a pretty high idle, on mechanic said he could get the idle straight for me for about 200$. Is that a fair price?
    before you ask or suggest, no I dont own a shop manual for this car.
    its a 1980 Cadillac Brougham, 6.0l. have pictures posted in the "post pics of your cadillac" fourm. thanks for the replies and suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    If the smoke only happens at start up then it's probably gonna be valve seals. Does it smoke on the highway? I guess you can't rule out a vacuum leak for the high idle and a little smoke. Had it been parked for a long time before you started using it?

Re: Questions about my 1980 Cadillac

yes it only smokes for about a few minutes. if I keep giving it gas, it clears up faster. before I purchased the car I think sat for.about 4 years.
    no smoke on the highways, I tend to check my vacuum lines because some of them blew off on me before.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

How long ago did you purchase the car? If it hasnt been too long, I'd take it on a decent trip on the highway with some full throttle runs to try and clear out the old oil and grime in the cylinders. As far as the high idle, I'd bet its just a sticky carb linkage somewhere. Maybe just clean and exercise the carb linkages by hand to see if it frees up the high idle. Do the carb cleaning before you do a wide open throttle run on the highway so it doesnt stick wide open. I'm just thinking your issues are related to the car being parked for so long, most issues related to being parked long are fixed the more you drive it. If the smoke on startup isnt related to being parked, you probably have some leaking valve seals. If the high idle isnt related to being parked long and you are 100% on the vacuum lines, its probably related to the carb needing adjustment are the choke not working right.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Run some seafoam down the carb and in the gas tank.

That may help to clean up any carbon and atleast eliminate that as an option for causing the smoke.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Black smoke on warm restart on these cars is usually the lead fuel well plugs in the carbonator leaking. Probably time to have the carbonator properly rebuilt.

thanks everyone, for the suggestions, @cs- I got it rolling in march/april. changed all fluids and plugs/ wires etc.
    @outsider- I'm hesitant about the seafoam. I've heard good stories and worst stories. I don't really want to mess anything up. did seafoam work wonders for you?
    @-theapeman- had the carb rebuilt in march by a shop known to do good work. hopefully not that.
    anyone know the exact size of those small vacuum hoses? figured I'd start there.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

How long does the car crank before it starts when sitting over a few nights?

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Quote Originally Posted by 804fleetbro View Post
    thanks everyone, for the suggestions, @cs- I got it rolling in march/april. changed all fluids and plugs/ wires etc.
    @outsider- I'm hesitant about the seafoam. I've heard good stories and worst stories. I don't really want to mess anything up. did seafoam work wonders for you?
    @-theapeman- had the carb rebuilt in march by a shop known to do good work. hopefully not that.
    anyone know the exact size of those small vacuum hoses? figured I'd start there.
    Seafoam works real well---too well in my case.After i bought my '78 Deville 3 years ago i put some seafoam in the crankcase to clear out the sludge.It cleared out the sludge too well and then caused my valve covers to then leak.
    In you`re '80 Caddy,there is bound to be sediment in the bottom of the tank, if it`s original, and putting seafoam in the tank "might" dislodge that sediment and possibly clog up the fuel filter.
    It`s always your choice.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Black smoke at start up is carb related. $200 could be a good price but it all depends on what he's going to do.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Yeah putting the seafoam in the crank case has caused some older cars to leak but it's due to sludge being cleaned off and the sludge was what was holding the oil in.

Putting it down your carb will not cause leaks. That will just clean out any carbon built up. You'd be surprised at how much black smoke and soot will come out after running seafoam down the carb. After that, and it could just be a mental thing, but I feel like my car ran better and was more responsive.

@apeman- when I go to start it up in the morning it usually takes 2 tries to get the car to turn over.1st crank takes about 6 seconds.
    I guess i'll be heading to the auto parts store this afternoon and pick some seafoam up. in the meantime between time I guess ill YouTube this seafoam and see what I can come up with. hopefully I dont cause to much damage. thanks everyone for your input

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by 804fleetbro View Post
    @apeman- when I go to start it up in the morning it usually takes 2 tries to get the car to turn over.1st crank takes about 6 seconds.
    I guess i'll be heading to the auto parts store this afternoon and pick some seafoam up. in the meantime between time I guess ill YouTube this seafoam and see what I can come up with. hopefully I dont cause to much damage. thanks everyone for your input
    Do you slowly pump the gas pedal 2 times to the floor before starting?

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Do you slowly pump the gas pedal 2 times to the floor before starting?
    yes I do. while waiting for the car to stop dinging. usually its about 6 dings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.