CARB Compliant
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, CARB Compliant in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was just contemplating future life choices, and figure Venice Beach CA wouldn't be a bad place to be homeless. ...
    sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

CARB Compliant

I was just contemplating future life choices, and figure Venice Beach CA wouldn't be a bad place to be homeless.

However, I can't take my '89 Brougham without first meeting California's emissions requirements. I looked through my service manual, and it says the CARB complaint engine was slightly different, but it doesn't explain what additional emission controls were added. I've tried looking online, and I can't even find what California's emissions requirements were for '89.

So does anyone know what it would take to make a non-California car CARB compliant?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: CARB Compliant

Nothing!!! assuming it is all there from day one, nothing gets added. Its tested as a non California car and is passed as such. Non California cars have less restrictive tail pipe readings and less equipment on their engines. The test is based on what the emission sticker says on the under hood decal. AND, I prefer you get a job here. I really don't want to provide food or shelter!!!

Well that's good...

For some reason, I though federal emissions cars needed to be upgraded to California emissions, before they could be registered or pass inspection.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

I'm glad someone answered. I was thinking about this. It does make sense, or else the only cars cruising in California would be those that had a CA emissions system installed. Also, I've read your posts it seems like you are skilled and could get a job as a mechanic. A man that is handy with a wrench shouldn't be homeless here. I remember falling upon hard times working at my dad's shop, I was able to make some money just working on broken cars in the autozone parking lot.

Hang in there man!

CADDCT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood 02 EldoCollEdit 93DeVille Blue 93DeVille Black

You cannot take a "new" car into california that is not CARB compliant. Not easy to find DMV's definition of "new", but you will be good with yours.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Sven, you will probably have to put your full exhaust system back on (instead of the side dump tip under the rear seats.) That would cause it to fail mechanical inspection in MO, and CA is alot more strict about this stuff than MO.
    Aside from that, given your car still has all smog equipment, it all works as designed, and your car is in good running condition, you should be fine.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I thought I read you didn't have a cat converter on the car.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

To pass CA smog inspection, the car must have all it's stock emissions equipment, as well as exhaust routing. If not, it will fail the visual/physical inspection. After that, assuming everything is working correctly, the car is held to the emissions standards for the year, make, and model that it is. A 1989 federal car won't be held to 2013 new car standards. People bring federal cars into CA every day and have no problem registering them.

My car still has the converter, but the intermediary pipe before the muffler kept rotting out, so I decided to get rid of everything after the cat. I assume the catalytic converter still has the internals, but I've never checked.

Beyond the exhaust system, the car sill has all of the factory emissions components, and I've made sure that they are all connected. The only other problem is that I get a code 45 (rich exhaust) every time I drive, and I've done everything to figure out the cause; my next step is to find someone who knows how to adjust or rebuild a computer controlled carburettor.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Just about all areas a car will fail inspection if the exhaust exits in front of the rear wheels. Get that back on and use some decent parts and it should last a while. Everything behind the cat was replaced on mine 10 years ago and the y-pipe a few years later when it split.

Depending on what is causing the rich exhaust code that could be killing the cat, they don't like to see much more high polluting crap being pushed thru them then they were originally designed for. It sucks that there are less and less knowledgeable carb people out there. It's not hard to work on them but if you don't know what you are doing it can take forever to rebuild them and adjust them properly. The people who do know have been working on them a long time, despite what some people think you don't become a pro with them over night.
    77CDV likes this.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

I found if you move to CA from another state you will be able to get it registered, but not sure what emission levels you have to meet. They know by pulling up your vin whether it was CA certified. You will have to pay an out of state fee when moving to CA. It becomes harder for a CA resident to bring in a car from out of state. Here is an example. If I wanted to bring my mom's Cadillac here and get it registered, there is a good chance I would vet turned down, so that makes it not even worth it. If you have a real love affair with your car and insist on getting it fixed so it isn't running rich or puking so much gas out that it burns up the pipes, there are a lot of places to get your carb fixed. If you get to that point, pm me and I can give you a lead on a good rebuilder. I used them for a lot of equipment and trucks in the past that were carburetor yet. Oh and I would stay away from Venice beach unless you like hanging with freaks and misfits.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

There is no EXTRA fee to bring in a car!. Just drive it here, smog it and if it passes, you get a Calif. registration. The criteria for smog compliance is based on the bar code they scan on your car. ( just above the VIN on the dash) There is NO requirement to add anything. Trust me, I've done it. All this worry about an out of state car is based on "urban legend"

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    There is no EXTRA fee to bring in a car!. Just drive it here, smog it and if it passes, you get a Calif. registration. The criteria for smog compliance is based on the bar code they scan on your car. ( just above the VIN on the dash) There is NO requirement to add anything. Trust me, I've done it. All this worry about an out of state car is based on "urban legend"
    Shhhhhh...Don't tell them the secret we use to get cheap cars into the state! Nevermind, he was just being facetious. Out of state cars are impossible to smog in California. Just sell them to us California residents and we will take care of all that trouble. Move along, nothing to see here.....

Garys is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1968 CDV / 1970 FWB /1979 FWB / 1995 Eldo
    I bought a '79 FWB in Phoenix and brought it home to California. While it still had all the factory smog equipment, all of the rubber hoses were shot. Needless to say it would not pass smog. I think I replaced about 30 feet of hoses. It had to be fuel line, and of course, were like 3 different sizes. It took a full day for me to replace them, but she then passed with flying colors.
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

ferrisworld is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville

I have a 79 Deville that is federal emissions and it's been registered in CA for probably over 25 years (I've had it for 12), and it doesn't have any CA emissions stuff on it, just the federal stuff. I think the only major difference on it was the AIR pump. CA cars had it, federals didn't and mine still doesn't. I also have an aftermarket 3" cat that Ys out to duals from there on back. It's legal because the cat has an EO number from magnaflow, and you can do whatever you want after the cat as long as it's not too loud, so I wouldn't worry about your exhaust too much. Having it dump before the rear axle might raise their suspicions, but as long as the cat is there and it's a legal cat and it works, you should be fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.