73 coupe deville makeover
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cady70
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 73 coupe deville makeover in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm rj, I havent really done my intro cuz I'm in desperate need of help. My carburetor is falling on ...
    grimms73deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member

73 coupe deville makeover

I'm rj, I havent really done my intro cuz I'm in desperate need of help. My carburetor is falling on its face. I don't know what it is. As I accelerate is spits, chokes and stutters terribly. The only time it won't do it is if I'm barely on the gas. I have the 472. Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: 73 coupe deville makeover

Is the choke working properly? Run poorly after warm up?

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Sounds like it's flooding. Check choke and throttle adjustments and linkage.

Yeah, it happens after the motor warms up and any time I try to accelerate quickly. I'll try messing with that stuff before I try rebuilding the carb. Thanks guys! I also want to remove the vinyl top, how would I trim out Around the window without the top? Any suggestions?

You'd have to score the trim from a 1971-1973 car that never had a vinyl top.

Update: not good! So I have no idea what I'm doing with those carburetors but my car keeps over heating. Is it still a carburetor issue or could it be my timing?

More like your thermostat. How's the radiator? Clean? No blockages?

I just replaced the thermostat last week cuz it was getting warm, even went with the 180. I don't know about the water pump or radiator though. What I meant to ask was would the running rich of the carburetor cause it to run hotter than normal?

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

No. It will run hotter if the mixture is lean. Check your vacuum lines. These and all Cadillac engines have considerable lengths of vacuum lines that control several dashpots and server motors on the engine and inside the passenger compartment. They dry out and crack over time and make certain aspects of engine control inoperable, which leads to poor operation. Also, check the vacuum controls and dashpots. Check your distributor. The vacuum canister should respond to signal from the engine vacuum and the centrifugal advance, which is under the rotor cap, will sometimes freeze up and become non-functional. Once you have check out all these, you will have a base to make further diagnosis of your engines operation.

Warm warm warm! The overheating has gotten out of control. I can't even drive it 6 blocks without the valves covers starting to smoke. I can't diagnose anything else until it will run longer than 10 minutes. Bad water pump, oil pump, fan, radiator? I seriously cannot figure out why is running so damn hot!

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

How long you had this car, or rather how long has it sat idle? It sounds like you may have blockage in the water passages. Does the cooling system "BANG"? They will when you get steam in the system. Open your radiator cap, turn it upside down and look at the seal and the coils and observe if the coolant circulates. Perhaps your cooling system needs a good flushing and neutralizing. Does your radiator cap have brown rust sludge around the seal and coils? Water out the weep hole?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Couple things I'd do...Run it with the radiator cap off to see if it needs to burp, run it without the thermostat to see if it's faulty, rent a cooling system pressure tester to see if you have a leak somewhere. You 100% that you put the thermostat on correctly?

Cady70 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 70 Deville, 90 Allante

Sounds like a blown head gasket.
    77CDV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cady70 View Post
    Sounds like a blown head gasket.
    This. Really rare on a 472, but it does happen, esp if the car has been neglected for a long time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.