Considering 87 Brougham, codes and gremlins?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Considering 87 Brougham, codes and gremlins? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 87 Brougham, 22K orig miles. Body looks good though dirty as h3ll from being stored, one door ding, (from the ...
    CADDCT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood 02 EldoCollEdit 93DeVille Blue 93DeVille Black

Considering 87 Brougham, codes and gremlins?

87 Brougham, 22K orig miles. Body looks good though dirty as h3ll from being stored, one door ding, (from the street looking through the fence at mechanics!) It has been non-op for a while, they got it running, seller's rep said "coolant leak behind carburetor"... sounds like the heater control valve from what he described. He said interior flawless and no other known issues. Can I pull codes on this year? What are the problems inherent to this model to look for? I believe it has the oldsmobile 307. Going to see and touch and maybe/hopefully purchase tomorrow... I convinced the seller's rep to let me be the first buyer to have a crack at it, $1500
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

meteor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 brougham

Re: Considering 87 Brougham, codes and gremlins?

You can pull codes, though it does not seem easy. Go back to the forums and scroll down to specific items and click on I think electrical and you can find out how it is done. Looks like a great buy if the mileage is correct.The 307 is a good reliable engine,though a little slow.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    You can pull codes, though it does not seem easy. Go back to the forums and scroll down to specific items and click on I think electrical and you can find out how it is done. Looks like a great buy if the mileage is correct.The 307 is a good reliable engine,though a little slow.
    Its actually pretty easy. You pull them through the ALDL using a paperclip, and they flash out through the check engine light. I don't recall what 2 ports you jump though. Its either the top right and bottom right or top right and the one to the left of it.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

This looks like a decent car with more than fair condition ,I love this body style a lot and had I wanted a car of this style I would go for it , I may sound like a friend of the seller but these are the words off my keyboard lol

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I agree, drive it have it looked over and snap it up if no big red flags. What can you buy with $1500.00 anyway!

If it isn't in need of engine or trans work buy it run the wheels off it and when ready fix it up or sell it.

Looks good to me. If it really has 22k and they haven't been done already, you'll have to change all the fluids, tires, brakes, and hoses (at least the radiator ones) before you start driving it around every day. That being said, it looks good and IMO is worth 1500 (like dave said, you can't buy much for 1500 so if its all good, buy it).

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I didn't even notice that part, I would rather it be 122,000 miles myself. I would be hoping they are wrong/lied and it was driven more. I still would be interested, but allow some money to get a lot of thing replaced and be ready to do a lot of hands on work. Almost any soft part on the car will probably need attention of some sort.
    Silicone on the weather strips, cleaning and lubricating anything that that moves. Mine sat for 25 years and all the grease/oil on everything had turned to gum. If it is truly 22,000 it is well worth the extra work, if it is 122,000 you won't have as much to do probably. A win either way if you are up to the task and have the time.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Its actually pretty easy. You pull them through the ALDL using a paperclip, and they flash out through the check engine light. I don't recall what 2 ports you jump though. Its either the top right and bottom right or top right and the one to the left of it.
    It is the A and B plugs. The top row, last two on the right. Jump that with a paper clip and you will get the codes when the key is on.

Outcome: I was just about to go look at the car and close the deal. I double checked back fees with DMV and no problem because it was planned non-operation. The seller's rep calls me to hurry up.. .he will have it on a flatbed for me. I said No, wait until I get there (I have not touched or driven it yet but it sure looked great through the fence). He puts more pressure to hurry up. I'm just about to go out the door and get a bad gut feeling so I go back in the house and order a carfax ($40). Find out odometer HAS FLIPPED and failed smog at least 4 times. Call the seller's rep back and tell him I know the history. He asks if I have proof and plays innocent and says "ok I will cancel the tow" and is real nice and hangs up. I'm so disappointed, but $40 saved me from a headache later. Now I'm going to flag his Craigslist posts and hope that no one else gets duped. Still a nice Brougham.. but not so special. Thanks for the feedback and the hunt continues. [COLOR="Silver"]

----------

oh.. I left out the part that he was selling it for his Rabbi !!!

-

Quote Originally Posted by CADDCT View Post
    Outcome: I was just about to go look at the car and close the deal. I double checked back fees with DMV and no problem because it was planned non-operation. The seller's rep calls me to hurry up.. .he will have it on a flatbed for me. I said No, wait until I get there (I have not touched or driven it yet but it sure looked great through the fence). He puts more pressure to hurry up. I'm just about to go out the door and get a bad gut feeling so I go back in the house and order a carfax ($40). Find out odometer HAS FLIPPED and failed smog at least 4 times. Call the seller's rep back and tell him I know the history. He asks if I have proof and plays innocent and says "ok I will cancel the tow" and is real nice and hangs up. I'm so disappointed, but $40 saved me from a headache later. Now I'm going to flag his Craigslist posts and hope that no one else gets duped. Still a nice Brougham.. but not so special. Thanks for the feedback and the hunt continues. [COLOR="Silver"]

----------

oh.. I left out the part that he was selling it for his Rabbi !!!

-
    Still works for about $800. I have a mechanic here who can get it to pass----just depends on how much money you want to spend doing it.

just realized something (sicne i've been looking at this thread on my phone)....that car has been repainted. note the lack of pinstripes, rubber strips down the side, and how the trunk badges are really in the wrong spots. that being said, that metallic grey (from the factory) was notorious for paint issues.

----------

just realized something (sicne i've been looking at this thread on my phone)....that car has been repainted. note the lack of pinstripes, crooked rubber strips down the side, and how the trunk badges are really in the wrong spots. that being said, that metallic grey (from the factory) was notorious for paint issues.

[QUOTE=cadillac kevin;10877073]just realized something (sicne i've been looking at this thread on my phone)....that car has been repainted. note the lack of pinstripes, rubber strips down the side, and how the trunk badges are really in the wrong spots. that being said, that metallic grey (from the factory) was notorious for paint issues.[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

you are right.. no pinstripes. I thought the side stripes might be crooked from the heat/age. good eye to notice the badging is in the wrong places!!

given you are in CA, I'd pass for 1500 (emissions). I'd buy it for 800 though. Here, with a buff job on that paint, you could probably pull 3-4k out of that car easy (no emissions) given the interior was nice. If the guy is trying to shove the car at you, he's probably very desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    given you are in CA, I'd pass for 1500 (emissions). I'd buy it for 800 though. Here, with a buff job on that paint, you could probably pull 3-4k out of that car easy (no emissions) given the interior was nice. If the guy is trying to shove the car at you, he's probably very desperate.
    Exactly why I figured about $800.

Jeppi94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadllac Brougham

I Bought my 89 Brougham with codes, i checked them and it was nothing serious, a malfunctioning TPS, Lambda (o2 Sensor) and MAP sensor...and the MAP sensor issue showed to be that it's electrical connector was not connected x) Now I've replaced the TPS and on Monday i will get the O2 sensor replaced, it was stuck so hard that i was not able to fix it myself. I made a little tutorial for you guys who do not know how to check the codes, it's simple OBD ONE TUTORIAL.jpg

Here is a LINK to a site where you can translate the codes from OBD 1 VIN Y systems http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/87-90_50Y/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.