Mark VIII cooling fan swap
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cadillac kevin
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Mark VIII cooling fan swap in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I want to put a Lincoln Mark VIII fan in my 79 to see if I can gain 1 or ...
    ferrisworld is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville

Mark VIII cooling fan swap

I want to put a Lincoln Mark VIII fan in my 79 to see if I can gain 1 or 2 mpg. Been reading guides and threads and it looks like it would work well enough. Every mpg counts and my main goal right now is to get to 20 mpg. Best so far is 16 with most of that tank being from Sacramento to San Francisco and back, and the rest commuting to work 20 minutes of highway between Sacramento and Roseville.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Mark VIII Fan

From the thread title I thought this was someone from the Lincoln forum here to flame us!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Cool....I've seen guys do it in B-body impalas and caprices, but I've never seen it done in an old caddy.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Mark VIII Fan

Why not use the GM stuff that is drop in for the car? The dual electrics used on the 93 FW, or the dual setup on the 94-96 LT1 non trailer pack cars?

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Why not use the GM stuff that is drop in for the car? The dual electrics used on the 93 FW, or the dual setup on the 94-96 LT1 non trailer pack cars?
    I think it is due to the "high flow" of the mark VIII fan. Although, obviously the GM fans flow good enough to keep the LT1 cool.

Re: Mark VIII cooling fan swap

Hadn't thought of that. Didn't realize they came with that. You think it would be good enough? I've just read that the Taurus and Mark VIII fans were the best ones according to some threads. Would be nice to just drop something in though. I imagine the LT-1 Caprices and Roadmasters would have the same thing.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

I'm a huge GM guy but so far nothing beats the Mark VIII fan. That has been used on a ton custom applications and the strongest of what is currently out there.

caddy1983 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood brougham 2 door

what year of Mark VIII? I have an 83 2 door brougham 4.1L V8 and was thinking of doing this conversion. I have a 96 impala ss with 2 fans and 160
    thermostat and pcm flash by pcmforless.com does anyone have a write up for this conversion? How would I go about having my fans turn on at a
    certain degree?

Quote Originally Posted by caddy1983 View Post
    what year of Mark VIII? I have an 83 2 door brougham 4.1L V8 and was thinking of doing this conversion. I have a 96 impala ss with 2 fans and 160
    thermostat and pcm flash by pcmforless.com does anyone have a write up for this conversion? How would I go about having my fans turn on at a
    certain degree?
    I think it is any year mark VIII (those are the round ones from the late 90s)
    As for what temp to turn on, I think that is done by a sensor on the engine.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Nice thing about the dual fans is you have two different temps to activate them. Less power draw when you don't need it.

So is there really any upside to dual electric over single clutch fan?
    I always hear about mpg gains, but I didnt think the clutch fan drew that much power. Also, do they really give you any hp gains?

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Assuming you have a fan clutch, not a solid fan, I doubt you would see a 2 MPG gain any time soon! The fan clutch disengages just above idle to gain mileage and should re engage at slow speed to pull air thru the radiator. The expense of the electric fan would be better spent in the gas tank. Given the age of your car, 16 MPG is very good. If you really want to improve mileage replace the trans with an overdrive unit. Electric fans, in my opinion, fitted to a car that didn't have them originally only provides male bragging rights with your buddies!

Bragging rights are good too though. When my buddy at work puts the coil-overs on his Civic hatchback, I can be like, yeah well, I have the best factory electric fan conversion in my Cad, and now it gets .5 mpg better. And then he'd be like, your car only gets .5 mpg?

Quote Originally Posted by ferrisworld View Post
    Bragging rights are good too though. When my buddy at work puts the coil-overs on his Civic hatchback, I can be like, yeah well, I have the best factory electric fan conversion in my Cad, and now it gets .5 mpg better. And then he'd be like, your car only gets .5 mpg?
    I'd just use the "your car can fit in the trunk of my car" bragging right.
    turbojimmy likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.