'91 Brougham 5.0 Any guide(s) on unclogging a/c drain?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, '91 Brougham 5.0 Any guide(s) on unclogging a/c drain? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Gonna have a moldy passenger floor board if I can't get it figured out =( lolol. I'd like to take ...
    Kirbman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Seville SLS

Cool '91 Brougham 5.0 Any guide(s) on unclogging a/c drain?

Gonna have a moldy passenger floor board if I can't get it figured out =( lolol.

I'd like to take apart as little of the dash as possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Re: '91 Brougham 5.0 Any guide(s) on unclogging a/c drain?

The heater box that has all the parts in it is under the hood. You can either spend the time to take the top off it and clean it out or find where the drain is and stick a pipe cleaner or something else like that up it to try to clean it out.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

The drain for the AC should be on the firewall, under the heater hoses. That's where it is on the 93-96 cars. Should be a little rubber 90 degree elbow, pointing at the ground. If the elbow is missing, air can push condensation past the heater box seal, onto the carpet. You can replace the elbow with a length of tubing, zip tie to the frame.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

I think it's different on the older ones and comes straight out the bottom.

charley95 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 91 brougham

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbman View Post
    Gonna have a moldy passenger floor board if I can't get it figured out =( lolol.

I'd like to take apart as little of the dash as possible.
    I have a 91 white/red that I just finished putting in new evaporator. The drain is on the bottom half of the plastic cover. You'll have to access the hole from the underside of the car.It's just a hole on the bottom under the evap. Use a wire to clean debris from the hole. The hole is probably a 1/2 inch in diameter. It should be easy to clean. Don't get too aggressive with wire or you may damage the evaporator.

gplesh99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Fleetwood Brougham

Correct. My '88 has about a 1/2" dia. hole, right in the bottom of the evap. case.

cadchris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 91 Bro-Ham, 91 Yello-dorado

Here's what happened to me! I guess the factory goofed with my hose location, because it was dripping over the frame body mounting bolt. A few months ago, I was backing up, and heard a loud "thud" sound. I had a bad feeling something broke since I'm fighting all kinds of rust in S. Florida.

I was looking into buying new body mounts and looked into the frame hole on the pass. side fwd of the front door and saw the broken body mount bolt and rubber mounting pad.

I wanted to confirm a refrigerant evap. leak with UV dye I put into the system to see if dye was coming out of the tube or where the water was running out of the evap to see if it glowed with my UV light. With the A/C running, I found the area where evap was draining which was right over the frame but could not see the drain tube because it was obviously cut too short from the factory and placed over the frame instead of beside the frame so it rusted out the bolt that snapped!

My advice would be to either remove the blower motor, or A/C resistor, get in there with a shop vac, with a long extension or buy some clear 1" tubing to tape to your shop vacs hose to clean out the bottom of the evap housing, then dump about a 1-2 cups of Clorox bleach and let it sit, but be sure your not leaking into the pass. compartment. I'd also pull the carpet back on the pass side and put some towels down in case the bleach runs backwards.

I also found the source of my mold problem and I thought it was a moldy evap. like typical with these cars since they do not have a cabin AC air filter like new cars to keep the dust off the evap.........the problem was the Blower Housing Box under the hood and the sealant had dried up. During our heavy summer rains in Florida, water was seeping in-between the housing and the firewall, and draining down the inner firewall and soaking the carpet padding........had to pull back the carpet, rip out the pad and bleach everything down with "Clorox Clean-Up Spary", I also have small rust holes in the floor pans from the wet padding. Only too a few months to happen!

I use a very powerful "Sodium Hydroxide" based foaming coil cleaner used for HVAC condensers called "Kleen Foam" http://www.refrigerants.com/chemical...x?id=KleenFoam

Put it into a pumper sprayer and spray the evap. coil by taking out the blower resistor and blower motor. It has a catalytic reaction to organics and will make a very hot foam that will completely move though a thick evap. and clean and kill everything. You just need to put a shop vac into the blower housing to suck of the dirty foam and then you'll want to use a hose and spray the evap. down as much as you can with the shop vac running.

That's the ONLY way to clean an evaporator and kill the bacteria and fungi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can buy it at your local A/C supply house distributor. Someone is actually selling it on e-bay for $98 a gallon! Can't find it on Amazon....... I buy mine from United Refrigeration which has branches all over the U.S. for only $16 a gallon. See pg. 23 https://tlgpartners.thelincgroup.com...pring_Spec.pdf

See pg. 28 for all their branch locations or call "National Refrigerants" to see who they sell to in your area or on-line....

Be careful not to get any on your skin.......burns like hell.......

Regards,
    Chris

charley95 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 91 brougham

[QUOTE=cadchris;11130169]Here's what happened to me! I guess the factory goofed with my hose location, because it was dripping over the frame body mounting bolt. A few months ago, I was backing up, and heard a loud "thud" sound. I had a bad feeling something broke since I'm fighting all kinds of rust in S. Florida.

I was looking into buying new body mounts and looked into the frame hole on the pass. side fwd of the front door and saw the broken body mount bolt and rubber mounting pad.

I wanted to confirm a refrigerant evap. leak with UV dye I put into the system to see if dye was coming out of the tube or where the water was running out of the evap to see if it glowed with my UV light. With the A/C running, I found the area where evap was draining which was right over the frame but could not see the drain tube because it was obviously cut too short from the factory and placed over the frame instead of beside the frame so it rusted out the bolt that snapped!

My advice would be to either remove the blower motor, or A/C resistor, get in there with a shop vac, with a long extension or buy some clear 1" tubing to tape to your shop vacs hose to clean out the bottom of the evap housing, then dump about a 1-2 cups of Clorox bleach and let it sit, but be sure your not leaking into the pass. compartment. I'd also pull the carpet back on the pass side and put some towels down in case the bleach runs backwards.

I also found the source of my mold problem and I thought it was a moldy evap. like typical with these cars since they do not have a cabin AC air filter like new cars to keep the dust off the evap.........the problem was the Blower Housing Box under the hood and the sealant had dried up. During our heavy summer rains in Florida, water was seeping in-between the housing and the firewall, and draining down the inner firewall and soaking the carpet padding........had to pull back the carpet, rip out the pad and bleach everything down with "Clorox Clean-Up Spary", I also have small rust holes in the floor pans from the wet padding. Only too a few months to happen!

I use a very powerful "Sodium Hydroxide" based foaming coil cleaner used for HVAC condensers called "Kleen Foam" http://www.refrigerants.com/chemical...x?id=KleenFoam

Put it into a pumper sprayer and spray the evap. coil by taking out the blower resistor and blower motor. It has a catalytic reaction to organics and will make a very hot foam that will completely move though a thick evap. and clean and kill everything. You just need to put a shop vac into the blower housing to suck of the dirty foam and then you'll want to use a hose and spray the evap. down as much as you can with the shop vac running.

That's the ONLY way to clean an evaporator and kill the bacteria and fungi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can buy it at your local A/C supply house distributor. Someone is actually selling it on e-bay for $98 a gallon! Can't find it on Amazon....... I buy mine from United Refrigeration which has branches all over the U.S. for only $16 a gallon. See pg. 23 https://tlgpartners.thelincgroup.com...pring_Spec.pdf

See pg. 28 for all their branch locations or call "National Refrigerants" to see who they sell to in your area or on-line....

Be careful not to get any on your skin.......burns like hell.......

Regards,

The factory never put a drain hose below the evap. housing. It's just a hole in the bottom of the housing above the frame. Has the upper half of the housing ever been off for evap. or heater core replacement? Most people never re-caulk the cover where it meets the firewall therefore, water will leak inside the car every time it rains. I just replaced the evap. in my 91 Brougham last month and re-caulked this area with no leaks. I decided to have the heater core pressure tested since I sure don't ever want to take that cover off again. What a PITA that job was!
    I now have a small fortune invested in my A/C rebuild. Replaced compressor,dryer bottle & evap. core and recharged with R-12. Good luck with your task.

----------

I don't see how the condensation from the evap. core could cause the bolt to completely rust out. I think it's more related to the climate you live in.

cadchris is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 91 Bro-Ham, 91 Yello-dorado

Definitely my fault when doing the evap. a long time ago, but I couldn't get the blower housing off because it was glued so well, so I just did the old "cut and tape" job like what's done in the HVAC industry! It was so hot, I was in a hurry, and didn't reseal the upper housing, but then the car sat for 7 yrs from a bad trans, and I got hurt in Hurricane Wilma pretty bad.......

I was sure I felt the end of a hose above the frame where the water was leaking out of the housing, but here in Fl. the humidity is so high, it just pours out water. That area of the frame has some heavy rust, so there must have been some small area not coated well with frame paint or some raw spots, but the bolt definitely looked like it was under the ocean for a couple hundred years!

I just went through the factory manual, and no mention or diagram of the drain hose.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.